LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?

Old 02-06-09, 02:01 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, lets keep the discussions relevant to the topic.

BNR34, excellent thread. I have the same exact issue you describe. That side sags more then any other. I've adjusted it a couple of times, yet its still lower then all other sides. I've had to crank the sensor really high, and it went crazy in the air. Almost like all or nothing type of deal.

As of now, its sits just a LITTLE lower then the other sides.
Old 02-06-09, 08:23 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing BNR34. Great thread.

Not to take it slightly off topic but I have realized one thing in regards to our suspension. If you park really fast the suspension kind of "freezes" in it's current state if you shut the car off promptly. There have been times i park fast and one side is lower than the other. If I start the car and leave it there idling it readjusts the car and it balances everything out. I've had plenty of instances we're I hit reverse and park it in one swift move, shut the car off and notice that my rear is higher than my front due to the shift in weight from going reverse. Just thought I would share that.

The active variable suspension does take getting use to because it's constantly making adjustments. It definitely is a love it or hate it thing.
Old 02-06-09, 12:39 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Guys, lets keep the discussions relevant to the topic.
We were pretty on topic, no?

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
BNR34, excellent thread. I have the same exact issue you describe. That side sags more then any other. I've adjusted it a couple of times, yet its still lower then all other sides. I've had to crank the sensor really high, and it went crazy in the air. Almost like all or nothing type of deal.

As of now, its sits just a LITTLE lower then the other sides.
Yeah it is a funny system, I had to keep adjusting, playing with it for a few times to get it to sit 100% even. It is possible, but it takes some tweaking. What I did to mine was, both front and rear sensors on the driver side is set all the way to the lowest. The right rear side stayed in the stock setting (about 75% up in the range), and the right front was lowered a little bit to match the left front. That got my car to sit completely even.
Old 02-06-09, 12:52 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSoup
I've been wondering the same thing BNR34. Great thread.
Thanks, we all want to know!

Not to take it slightly off topic
Not at all, these are directly related.

but I have realized one thing in regards to our suspension. If you park really fast the suspension kind of "freezes" in it's current state if you shut the car off promptly. There have been times i park fast and one side is lower than the other. If I start the car and leave it there idling it readjusts the car and it balances everything out. I've had plenty of instances we're I hit reverse and park it in one swift move, shut the car off and notice that my rear is higher than my front due to the shift in weight from going reverse. Just thought I would share that.
Exactly, I think that is due to the LS430's active system being not very advance, it is a pretty slow reacting system, it takes a long time for it to adjust. On top of all of that you described, sometime even when the car is on, it doesn't want to level itself, most of the time it does, but sometime it just sit there and do nothing. And then I noticed the ride height is temperature and load dependent. The car sit higher when it is hot out, lower when it is cold, it is easy to understand, it is an airbag, like a ballon, air expand when hot and contract when cold. Then if the load increase (people getting in the car or luggage being place in the trunk), extra load compressed the suspension initially, then the auto leveling tell the air compressor to pump up the bags to raise the car back up. Then if everyone get off the car and the car is shut off right away, the bags are still pumped up way high, causing the car to sit very high. Every single UL I see on the road or parked is sitting at a different angle at a different height. I believe the air suspension system on the LS460L/600 is greatly improved, every one I see sit perfectly even.

The active variable suspension does take getting use to because it's constantly making adjustments. It definitely is a love it or hate it thing.
Yes definitely. I think the very slow system is to blame for the constantly different ride height. I think this is the point mafpolo don't understand and is driving him crazy. But if you understand how it works and what it is doing, it is kind of fun to observe!
Old 02-06-09, 01:19 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default BNR, I understand what you are saying

I hear you - the Ultra tends to sag some on the right rear passenger side.

What I am saying is.....there is possibly a range, and I believe mine will sag beyond that range. Also, there is an inconsistency where my car will sit with the wheels even. So, it is just a logic thing.....if the Ultra is supposed to and all UL's sag on the right rear, then why does mine sit evenly half the time, and at other times have a differential of one inch (inch is a large difference) at other times. Also, my prior UL didn't ever sag at all.

If the UL is supposed to sag, why would the Lexus dealer attempt warranty repairs six times? Why would they be sending a Lexus USA Tech to see me in mid February? Still doesn't mean you are wrong.

So, logic tells me that there is a disconnect between what we are talking about. It doesn't mean that I don't hear you. I do; however, if the UL is supposed to sag in the right rear, I want to know: 1. Why? 2. By how much - what range of sag is factory spec? 3. If an ultra never sags, is it then considered aproblem if it is designed to do such?

So, wherein lies the misunderstanding. Disagreement or question does not mean I don't hear you. Ultimately, I may have to take your advice and manually adjust the wheels as I want them to be.

Don't take my questioning personally.
Old 02-08-09, 12:09 AM
Lawrenzo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger rear strut is failing me on my UL. Rocks like a boat. Took it into the dealer to have it looked at and they said it was not the air suspension rather a sign of the STRUT "wearing" out but not failing because it's not leaking, so it will not be replaced under EXTENDED 100K warranty(not to be confused with the original 50k/4yr warranty). Wanted to charge me $540 to change the STRUT. I didn't know the UL's suspension used strut dampeners along with the air suspension. I was a bit confused, but anyway, the STRUT itself cost about $140 and everything making up the rest of the $540 was for labor and taxes. Scandalous mother F***ers. I pay $3000 dollars on a Lexus Platinum Extended warranty and they don't want to take care of a $140 strut over some con-artist stipulation.

Do I still love my UL? An emphatic YES.

But I would definitely LOOOOOOOVE to stab someone at Gulf State Toyota and the shady service adviser who sold me the warranty in both eyes with a fork.
Old 02-09-09, 08:19 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Lawrenzo,

Thank you for your inputs

A few discrepancies from what you said.

1, If a replacement strut for your car cost $140, you do not have the air suspension. A replacement air strut is ~$1100. The total estimate for my UL to replace 1 air strut, part ($1100) + labor (2 hours @ $105/hour) + tax is ~$1600.

2, If you have the Lexus Platinum Extended warranty, a worn out strut is definitely cover under it. Your dealer is scamming you. Call Lexus corporate 1-800-25-Lexus to complain. My car is 100% out of warranty, and Lexus is still willing to cover 50% of the repair cost under good will.

3, Yes even air suspension has shock absorber, the air part is just the spring. The bad thing with the UL's air suspension is the air spring and the shock is one assembly that have to be replace together, making the unit's cost to be ~$1100.
Old 02-09-09, 09:00 AM
Lawrenzo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BNR34
Lawrenzo,

Thank you for your inputs

A few discrepancies from what you said.

1, If a replacement strut for your car cost $140, you do not have the air suspension. A replacement air strut is ~$1100. The total estimate for my UL to replace 1 air strut, part ($1100) + labor (2 hours @ $105/hour) + tax is ~$1600.

2, If you have the Lexus Platinum Extended warranty, a worn out strut is definitely cover under it. Your dealer is scamming you. Call Lexus corporate 1-800-25-Lexus to complain. My car is 100% out of warranty, and Lexus is still willing to cover 50% of the repair cost under good will.

3, Yes even air suspension has shock absorber, the air part is just the spring. The bad thing with the UL's air suspension is the air spring and the shock is one assembly that have to be replace together, making the unit's cost to be ~$1100.

BNR34, thanks for your response.

To clarify, I positively DO have a UL model with air suspension (adjustable/vibrating/memory rear seats...i've also installed the datasystem air controller) which is why i was dumbfounded when he told me that it was the strut wearing out and that it would cost $140 for the part itself. When he told me $140 for the strut i knew something was askew as I have done price searches before and found that price to be only for the traditional strut/spring assembly on other LS trim models not using air suspension.

That in turn led me to believe that this dealership must have either had no idea what they were doing or they were trying to scam me for SOMETHING.

This is WEST SIDE LEXUS in Houston TX, people!

I actually just got back from dropping my car off at Sterling McCall Lexus (Houston,TX) and they've given me a rental. I actually have a friend who is a cert. tech there and I'm sure he will be very helpful. Should have let him look at it in the first place but schedules and locations conflicted.

Stay away from Westside Lexus. I am not the only person to complain about their incompetence!
Old 02-09-09, 09:29 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Lawrenzo,

I didn't say you don't have a UL, anything is possible, you can have a UL that got the air suspension swapped out for regular suspension.....etc. That's why I said discrepancies, something didn't add up.

So Westside Lexus is clueless Bring a lawyer and have they confirmed the estimate of your strut is indeed $140, put it in writing on legal papar and hold them to it. It is time to screw the dealer back! And please get me an extra air strut for $140, that is a HUGE saving

Yes $140 is for the regular strut, they are do dumb they didn't know your car has air suspension.

All of that don't matter though, as your strut is 100% cover by your Lexus Platinum Extended warranty.

Thanks again for your input, as you confirmed your passenger side rear strut is also going bad on your UL's air suspension. Your car's symptoms is identical to mine, rock like a boat, no leak, strut is worn out.

Can you please provide me a few more infos on your car?

1, Year of your car?
2, When did you bought it?
3, The current mileage.
4, Is this the 1st strut that gone bad as far as you know?

Thanks
Old 02-09-09, 11:08 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my previous 2005 UL had the rear pass airbag go out first followed by the driver passenger. I believe it was right at 50k

Lexus replaced both.
Old 02-09-09, 11:14 AM
Lawrenzo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BNR34
Lawrenzo,

Can you please provide me a few more infos on your car?

1, Year of your car?
2, When did you bought it?
3, The current mileage.
4, Is this the 1st strut that gone bad as far as you know?

Thanks
No prob.
1-Year: 2004
2-Purchased: April '08
3-Current milage: 56k
4-1st strut to go out as far as I know.
Old 02-09-09, 12:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lawrenzo
No prob.
1-Year: 2004
2-Purchased: April '08
3-Current milage: 56k
4-1st strut to go out as far as I know.
Thank you Lawrenzo
Old 02-09-09, 12:12 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GATO
my previous 2005 UL had the rear pass airbag go out first followed by the driver passenger. I believe it was right at 50k

Lexus replaced both.
To be clear, so the 1st one was rear pass side, then followed by the rear driver side?

Thank you
Old 02-09-09, 07:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like the passenger rear air strut does go bad first, at around 50k~60k miles.
Old 02-23-09, 09:24 AM
LesMan
Driver School Candidate

Default Another victim of UL Air Strut Failure

Just purchased a 2004 LS430 UL (Ultra Lux)... and noticed that the car had an odd cross axis "bounce". Suspected that something was funky in the right rear (passenger rear.)

True to this posting... Passenger Side Rear Air Strut failed.
$1290 for parts and labor at Metro Lexus in Cleveland, OH.
  • 2004 LS430 UL
  • 61,000 miles
  • 1st strut failure - as far as I know.
... maybe a "class action" lawsuit is in order?? Any lawyers out there??
I'm astonished that there is this clear consistent issue - and Lexus has not taken notice and either issued a Service Bulletin or Recall.

I wonder how many UL owners have experienced this problem - and what the percentage failure rate is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?