LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The Quest for an LS430 UL

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 02:05 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool The Quest for an LS430 UL

The more time moves on, the more eager I am to join my LS430 bros on CL. I do lurk and learn from your threads daily.

My ideal:
  • 2004+
  • Black exterior
  • Black interior
  • Optimal condition as possible
  • Lowest mileage possible
  • Location outside of the snowbelt
  • $25k or lower
I missed out on one potential LS local that met all of those ideals a few months ago for $25k.
Since then the LS430 ULs have been so-so and seemingly lower in frequency.

Most recent candidate:
  • Silver exterior
  • Tan interior
  • Excellent condition
  • Approx. 10k miles per year
  • Located outside of the snowbelt
  • $19900
Help me. Is it worth being strong and holding out for something 2004 or newer?
Old 02-04-09, 03:02 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quest for maybe an 04

If $25,000 and under is your goal then there are a lot of cars out there in the 04-05 range. I have not driven an 01-03 but there are so many reviews (see one below) that advise the upgraded 04+ is the way to go. Ultimate package is the Ultra Luxury if you use the back seat much, ie friends, relatives, etc. However, UL's are sometimes scarce as hens teeth so the next best is Custom Luxury that includes the UL suede roof liner that is really rich and a bigger trunk. So my recomendation is an 04 or better UL or Custom Luxury. Automotive.com prices the resale value of the 2004 at $11,925 - $24,325. Good luck.

Here's what the Automotive.com review said:

The LexusLS 430 benefits from substantial engineering upgrades for 2004 that significantly improve what was already a superb luxury car. It's quicker and more sophisticated than last year's model.

Model year 2004 brings major changes to the LS 430: revised styling, suspension refinements, safety improvements, and mind-boggling technology. A new six-speed automatic replaces last year's five-speed for improved acceleration performance without sacrificing fuel economy. There are more airbags than ever before (eight) and a system that tightens the seat belts before a crash. There's a tire-pressure monitor, a backup camera, headlights that swivel for seeing around corners, and Dynamic Laser Cruise Control that maintains a set following distance to the car ahead. With Bluetooth and SmartAccess, you can unlock the doors, start the car, drive off, and make hands-free phone calls without even pulling your key or your cell phone out of your pocket or purse.
Old 02-04-09, 03:16 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Have you seen this in Dallas on AutoTrader? Black 2004 Lexus LS430 ULTRA LUXURY Pkg. Black leather interior 59K $22,950.
Old 02-04-09, 03:30 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
Have you seen this in Dallas on AutoTrader? Black 2004 Lexus LS430 ULTRA LUXURY Pkg. Black leather interior 59K $22,950.

No I had not. I'm in Dallas, and used to check our Craigslist frequently.
After so few ULs were posted on there I began to use iseecars.com, and when I ran it this afternoon, it didn't pick that up. I shall check it out immediately! THANK YOU!

Edit:
I just looked. This is the exact same place where "the one that got away" was. Looks like I'm being given a 2nd chance. Going over there tomorrow early to look at it and likely pick it up. Thanks, BlackUltra!

Last edited by Slooooooow; 02-04-09 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 03:40 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

You are very welcome. I guess that is what this Club is all about. Let us know what shape it is in because that appears to be a great price. Also, would take the VIN to a Lexus dealer and ask them to run it. Maybe find out a little more about it.
Old 02-04-09, 03:56 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
You are very welcome. I guess that is what this Club is all about. Let us know what shape it is in because that appears to be a great price. Also, would take the VIN to a Lexus dealer and ask them to run it. Maybe find out a little more about it.
I just ran a CarFax on the VIN. It was a lease vehicle.
"Sold at auction in Texas. Listed as a fleet vehicle."
"CARFAX 1-Owner vehicle! 1-owner 2004 Lexus LS 430 vehicles are worth an average of $2,079 more to consumers because 1-owner vehicles tend to be consistently driven and maintained. Use this as a guide when comparing vehicles. Learn More"

No other issues were flagged on the rest of the report. This is STRANGELY exactly like the one I missed out on before. In fact I'm going to check the CarFax report on the prior one just to make sure...lol

It truly appears I'm getting a 2nd chance here...I wish it was Thursday morning right now.
Old 02-04-09, 04:17 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck, I have your LS430. 2004, blk/blk, had 38K, but it was $28K and Custom. Runs like a charm, you won't regret going with slightly newer. good luck hunting...
Old 02-06-09, 08:08 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

I did head over and check it out yesterday.
It's gorgeous and in great condition. Everything appears to work within normal limits.
During my lunch break I'll be taking it over to one of my favorite independent Lexus shops (the closest one to this dealer) for a pre-purchase inspection and if all goes well, I'll be rollin' with my LS430 bros this weekend.

Old 02-06-09, 08:34 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your steps away from being welcomed to the real CL. The Elite LS Club.....dont pass the opportunity up. You wont regret it.
Old 02-06-09, 12:01 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I hope all gose well for you bro.
Old 02-06-09, 12:40 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

The good news:
  • The car appears to be structurally sound
  • The car appears to be mechanically sound (with an expert once-over)
  • A further inspection of the gadgets revealed they work (didn't get to try the radar cruise control though)
  • Even thought I'm fond of the ride of my ES and SC - HOLY CRAP The ride of the LS430 is in a whole different league.
  • On AutoTrader the car's listed for $22,950!
The not as good news:
  • Something happened on the front end of the car (rock chips according to the dealer), so the dealer had the hood and front fenders resprayed. Bondo was not applied to fill the chips. But in terms of a respray, it's better than average.
  • Based on the above item, and the rash on the A-pillars and roof, I'd say the car had one of those "bad days" where it ended up behind something like a sand truck and got nicked up. But even my independent inspector said the overall paint condition is consistent with the age.
  • My first words when I looked down upon the roof in the inspector's garage with good lighting were "HOLY S$%#!" You do NOT notice it when walking by the car, but if you stand up on the door sill and look down, it's unfortunate, but maybe not ridiculous for a 5 year old car?
  • During the respray, the painter used tape instead of removing the parking sensors, and headlights. There is visible overspray on surrounding structures when you're looking for it. We even found some tape on one spot.
  • The inspector said that, while the respray is better than average, the newly painted respray sections will not last as long or hold up as well as the factory painted sections.
  • On the dealer's website the car's listed for $23,950, and that's the starting-point price he wants to work from (+TTL, etc.)
I got spoiled with the one-owner-maintained unbelievable paint condition on my first two Lexus purchases. And, being an OCD cleaning and Zaino freak, I'm not sure if I could maintain my sanity knowing that the car I've bought has paint like that.

If I could walk out the door at $22k even, that would help ease the pain. But this dealer seems certain that the LS430 market prices are going up, up, up beginning in the next two weeks , so there's just no haggle room as far as he's concerned, PLUS he wouldn't even believe the car was on AutoTrader for a cheaper price. As soon as I got back to my MacBook, I gmailed him the link.

Car good. Paint not-so-great. Price - meh. I may just keep shopping.
Old 02-06-09, 01:02 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
If I could walk out the door at $22k even, that would help ease the pain. But this dealer seems certain that the LS430 market prices are going up, up, up beginning in the next two weeks , so there's just no haggle room as far as he's concerned, PLUS he wouldn't even believe the car was on AutoTrader for a cheaper price. As soon as I got back to my MacBook, I gmailed him the link.
The prices got no where to go but down, the dealer is just playing you, that's their job. It is good you are not in a rush, just give it time, the dealer would budge.
Old 02-06-09, 05:09 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Slooooow I know someone wanting to sell there 04 LS Silver UL w/ blk interior, but he is in CT....let me know if your interested. Its a good price too.....
Old 02-06-09, 07:18 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sloooow, slow down. There is NO NEED to rush on an LS deal right now. The market is just going down down down and I think your color combo is very common and very soon the 2006 off-lease will hit the market so hang on in there. Your baby is out there, not need to rush.
Old 02-06-09, 08:18 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

get 04+ w/ no paint work, that's my recommendation... (no paint work = no accidents/stories)

Quick Reply: The Quest for an LS430 UL