LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I've been violated

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 10:03 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Did your alarm even go off?
I don't think the factory alarm goes off unless the doors are open. No shock sensor that I know of.
Old 01-24-09, 10:09 AM
airtime

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
crappy situation, funny how the strong Lexus glass kicked their *** good to see you bouncing back from it
Even though it was an attempted break in, I'm not really all that pissed. These things happens in life, and material things can always be replaced. Yeah, I'm out $100 for my deductible and rental car fee, but living a stress free life is worth much more than being aggravated for weeks about matters like these.
Old 01-24-09, 06:07 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
This is what you all been waiting for....

Sorry, can't get in...

Yo Air you are a better dude than me. I've been told i have a short temper, and my my car is the easiest way to set me off. The paramedics would have had to come to stop the steam from coming outta my ears!!!! I'm pissed dor you dude

Old 01-25-09, 11:06 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

You and me both have bad luck this year. Hopefully, next year will be better.
I got into two accidents this year, one wasn't my fault

Happy new year by the way

Last edited by VQT; 01-25-09 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 09:07 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
Wow! Do you think this is a freak one time thing or are they waiting for this opportunity for a while already?
Originally Posted by ikon_danny
Seems like they were watching you.
That's what I was thinking, they knew you live there and have been waiting for you to park outside.
Old 01-26-09, 09:08 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA
My SIG P250 and a very victim-friendly "hearth and home" law that gives me permission to shoot home invaders should take care of the determined ones. My home alarm goes BANG, BANG, BANG. BANG. BANG. BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG....<CLICK>....BANG, BANG.....
That is the most effective alarm
Old 01-26-09, 09:10 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

3 miles S of downtown? Near Beacon Hill?
Whoever did that to you, they probably have a truck and jack ready. Or do you think maybe someone you know?

I know some folks suggested maybe stupid kids did that but I just have a feeling maybe, just maybe someone who may know you.

I guess it's time to hook up all the secured cams and stop leaving her outside again. Hope you will get her back soon
Old 01-26-09, 09:12 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shlomboy
GOD knows what i would be doing with a rental prius lol

lets just say i would give it back with bald tires and worn brakes
Originally Posted by TJW98LS
impossible lmao
I concurred. It would take a LONGGGGGG time to worn out the tires and brakes on a super slow Prius. The only thing I can think of is driving with the rear wheels locked by the parking brakes, and that only flat spot the rear tires.
Old 01-26-09, 09:18 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

put it in neutral rev it up real high and slap it into 'D'. this works on almost any vehicle no matter how slow it is. maybe this technique is what schlomboy was thinking?? i wonder if you could even hold the brakes down and the gas peddle and get the tires loose...?
Old 01-26-09, 09:18 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by intermec
Whoever did that to you, they probably have a truck and jack ready.
Now that you mention jack and seeing the pics of the car, I am guessing one reason they didn't take your wheels was because they couldn't get a jack under the car since it is sitting so low!
Old 01-26-09, 09:21 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

just think about it logically and you will quickly see that they did not anticipate the wheel locks, which means that they are unfamiliar with a half descent setup even, therefore they have no experience with anything of value, therefore they were probably junkies or youths.

or am i the only one that is making this connection??

oh yeah sooo i've also seen 'wheel shops' break off locking lug nuts with no problem... with the proper tools of course.
Old 01-26-09, 09:48 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sojah
put it in neutral rev it up real high and slap it into 'D'. this works on almost any vehicle no matter how slow it is. maybe this technique is what schlomboy was thinking?? i wonder if you could even hold the brakes down and the gas peddle and get the tires loose...?
sounds like you are not familiar with how Toyota's Hybrid system works, the engine don't even come on until the car is moving down the road in EV mode in 10+ mph........you can't really rev the engine up in neutral

The Prius or all Toyota hybrid are hard to abuse, especially since it is so highly computer control, it won't allow you to do anything to abuse it.

The old days of all manually control cars is gone
Old 01-26-09, 10:03 AM
airtime

I'm thinking these are not very sophisticated bad guys. Pretty much any wheels locks can be taken off, most common method would be getting a socket just about the right size and slamming it onto it with a hammer. That would "lock" onto the lug and you should be able to ratchet it off. There are magnetic type locks that would make this method difficult. On this current set if they can find my the center caps or a new set, I'm going to get locks on all bolts and with different brands to mix it up.

As for jacking up the car, I own a low profile aluminum jack and I can't get it under the car to the jack points unless I raise it with my datasystem controller. However, if I was a bad guy, I would place the jack anywhere under the car without a care as to damaging components underneath.

I believe incidents like these are bound to happen, and that's what insurance is for. As for someone watching the car waiting to pounce, they must have way to much time on their hands and they just found out they wasted their time and would most likely not try again as they can find other targets that are easier to break in. There has been a rash of smash and grab all over the city as people are trying to make quick cash with GPS, coin change, etc they steal from cars. Sad thing is that the cost of repair is so much more than what they took. There was an article in the paper quoting a guy who leaves his doors unlock and leave a couple of dollars on the seat as an incentive for the criminal to not damage the car.

Last edited by airtime; 01-26-09 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 10:13 AM
airtime

Originally Posted by BNR34
The Prius or all Toyota hybrid are hard to abuse, especially since it is so highly computer control, it won't allow you to do anything to abuse it.The old days of all manually control cars is gone
Its like driving a electric remote control car. You can flip it from forward to reverse in a split second but no way can you peel out in it. Actually, instead of a remote control car, its more similar to a electric forklift.

I do notice that the engine will come on when the car is cold until it warms up. Once warmed up, the engine does definitely turn itself off as much as it can and tries to use electric power. When I cruise on a flat road, its somewhat satisfying to see I can go about 38mph in pure electric mode and the car is showing the 99mpg. As long as I don't gun it, it stays this way for as long as it has power. I was getting 48mpg in the beginning when I was gentle with it, now driving a bit more aggressive, I still get 42mpg. Double of what I'm getting on my LS. My wife likes the idea of the Hybrid but she hates the interior. She's grown so accustom to the LS' posh interior vs the Prius' ALL plastic.
Old 01-26-09, 10:13 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by airtime
I believe incidents like these are bound to happen, and that's what insurance is for.
That is a great positive attitude to have, good for you

It is hard to have that attitude though, like you said, anyway you look at it, you were violated. I'll be **** if my car is damage by some thiefs

Quick Reply: I've been violated