Smart key battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 05:27 PM
tgcLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart key battery replacement

Hello all,

I am receiving a "smart key low battery" message and want to replace the battery in the smart key fob. I am embarrased to say I cannot figure out how to get the smart key fob apart to get to the battery. I see the seam along the edge, but cannot find any screws holding it together or anywhere to pry it apart without forcing it. Have tried the search engine and google without any luck. Can anyone tell me how to get to the battery in the smart key? TIA
Old 01-15-09, 07:00 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The wide side of the key has a rectangle door with an an arrow that slides down when you push it and a pin slides out of the body of the key. You must place a small tool in the edge of the door as the pin slides out of the casing and gently lever it up. Lint and crap makes it a bit sticky us a sharp tip of a thin knife or a small screwdriver
Old 01-15-09, 08:22 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Once you get the door open, the whole unit slides out and you take the old battery off, new on in, put back in and close the little door.
Old 01-15-09, 11:08 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcLS430
Hello all,

I am receiving a "smart key low battery" message and want to replace the battery in the smart key fob. I am embarrased to say I cannot figure out how to get the smart key fob apart to get to the battery. I see the seam along the edge, but cannot find any screws holding it together or anywhere to pry it apart without forcing it. Have tried the search engine and google without any luck. Can anyone tell me how to get to the battery in the smart key? TIA
Welcome aboard
Here's a list with more FAQ:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-updated.html
Old 01-16-09, 03:39 PM
GoldGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tgcLS430
Hello all,

I was about to post a question as to how often to replace the key battery.

Does the message come on the instrument panel?

Thank you.
Old 01-17-09, 06:23 AM
tgcLS430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all who responded. I finally fiddled with it and the end popped up while I had the latch that releases the metal key pulled back. Very clever and very easy once you know where it comes apart. Replaced with a CR2032 lithium battery obtained at a drug store and all back to normal. The original message telling me the smart key battery was low was displayed for a few seconds on the instrument panel when the engine was turned off.

I was also told there are instructions in the owner's manual but I missed them when I looked there first. "RTFM" is always good advice, but only if you read it thoroughly!

Thanks again to all who responded.