LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 UL vs Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 08:22 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question LS430 UL vs Audi A8

My wife has a 2005 A8, and I have a 2002 LS430 UL. The A8 is a much better driving car than the LS, I prefer the interior, and a few other things, but I do like my LS.

She has had very few issues with her A8, and I have had very few - except for an air suspension problem that my dealer is still trying to fix (Tuesday will be visit number six or seven).

So, I am seriously thinking about selling the LS. It's in beautiful condition, only 52,000 mi., Millinium Silver, black leather, rosewood. I have detailed it (both cars) every week. The LS has been hand waxed with Zymol Destiny and Zymol Carbon on an average of once per month. I still love the LS, but I do like the A8 more. My air suspension issue has soured me on my expectations of reliability of a Lexus. I do believe that I am taking more reliability risk if I buy an Audi, and will have to buy an extended warranty for the car.

Any opinions appreciated. Again, I love the LS...just love the drive, ride, of the A8 more. I also like the fact that the A8 is not ubiquitous.

So, let me know what you think...without the insults.
Old 01-02-09, 09:21 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A8 is a great car. It definitely is more sporty than LS and has a bunch of cool gadgets. One of the most notable ones is AWD. It is what makes it handle corners and bad weather like no other car can. So, if you like it, def. buy it. Especially since you are aware of the pitfalls.
The pitfalls (The ones I know of)
My neighbor has one and here's what he has to say:
1. Atrocious gas mileage. This thing eats more gas than a Hammer. May not be a big concern if you are using it for pleasure rides on weekends.
2. Reliability. It is stuffed to the brim with all sorts of electronic gadgets. Add to that Audi's legendary reputation for all things electronic and you may be in for enough "vertical" miles to spoil the otherwise excellent driving experience. Many people I know mistakenly believe that existence of warranty somehow shields them from the grief of car repair. In fact, the only thing a warranty does is eliminate the cost aspect. Everything else is still there, like shop visits, loaners, convincing the mechanic that there is a problem, etc... They drive Audis, Mercedes and spend considerable amount of their time at the dealer. I on the other hand, visit the shop once a year for maintenance.

Do yourself a favor and check out the Audi forum before you make the decision.
I too hate to drive the car that everyone else has, but practicality got the better of me this time.
Old 01-02-09, 09:36 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I echo Rice's response. The A8 is a very nice ride. I would give it up after your warranty expires though as the cost of repair would make the issue of your LS's air suspension problem you have now a joy. I've owned Audi's and problem after problem starts to pop up one after another.

There is another way --- Get a newer LS as the price is certainly right now a days.
Old 01-02-09, 09:40 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Good points

Rice, your points are dead on. I agree that the reliability issue is the number one concern. My wife's 2005 A8 has been reliable, BUT that could be like my 98 Range Rover that gave little trouble until 116,000mi. So it could be that I buy an A8 that stinks.

The LS is still a great car, and I love so many aspects of it. We drove down to the beach for New Years (the "shore" up where you are), and the LS just drives beautifully. Is it as much fun than the A8? No. However, there is something to be said about a fine luxury sedan that you can keep for as long as you want to.

My Lexus dealer's inability to resolve my air suspension problem bothers me. Their excuse of, "we haven't had one like this before, and LS air suspension problems are so rare" is pretty poor, since they can call Lexus or another dealer to ask.

The other thing I don't like about my LS is - black interior (I am **** as heck) - I am constantly dusting, vacuuming, etc. I do love the Millinium silver (prefer it to Mercury metallic).

Another consideration is - the value of the 430 since the 460's release has dropped to the point that I may just be much smarter to keep it until the wheels fall off, and not spend any $$$$.

Prudent decision = drive wife's A8 whenever I want to (doubt she'll care), keep LS, and if I get to a point of "gotta have an A8" then buy. Then again - cars are a very emotional purchase.
Old 01-02-09, 09:47 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Airtime - you make good points too

I would hate to regret giving up my LS. I could get a buddy of mine in town who owns a high end pre-owned car business to sell my LS and find a newer one. If I went newer LS, I would want a custom or modern luxury. I really love the Ultra, but I've had all the air suspension I want. I like the ride & choices, but not the potential reliability issue.

I do wish the 2004 and on 430's came in the millinium silver. I definitely want a tan interior.

You and Rice's response have made me think. I appreciate both of you not slamming on me for thinking about moving to the A8 - even expressing understanding & agreeing that the Audi is a more exciting drive. So, I can't get defensive, but rather think hard.

Thank you.
Old 01-02-09, 10:14 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Looks like you have the means and the urge to experiment.
I'd buy it if I were you, esp. since the LS that you currently have doesn't quite do it for ya (it seems). Besides, nothing says that you have to be stuck with A8 if you get tired of it.
I used to change cars every 1 to 2 years just b/c I like the change.
My wife OTOH, does not like the change or the expense that comes with it. That as well as uncertain economic times have caused me to drive my 97 for 7 years and then buy an 05 (w/o the air ride - one of my criteria when looking)

BTW, my neighbor, who is a car dealer, bought his 05 (or 06 - I don't recall) A8 with 70K miles for $16K. That's pretty cheap considering the original sticker price 4 years ago.

Whatever you decide to do, ENJOY IT
Old 01-02-09, 10:32 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mafpolo- perhaps you just need an LS430 w/o the air suspension? Good luck car shopping. I'm looking for a replacement as well.
Old 01-02-09, 10:55 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know, but the LS430 is one of the smoothest cars I've driven....but it depends what your looking for in a car.....
Old 01-02-09, 12:15 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I appreciate both of you not slamming on me for thinking about moving to the A8 - even expressing understanding & agreeing that the Audi is a more exciting drive. So, I can't get defensive, but rather think hard. Thank you.
I wouldn't slam on a car I had considered myself There was a super clean used one at the Lexus dealer but back in the day when I was looking for my LS430, but the dealer kept the prices way too high, almost retail which is ridiculous. If I had an opportunity to trade my LS430 for a S8, now that would get me to swap.
Old 01-02-09, 12:35 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default S8 out of the price range

But ohe yeah what a ride!! There is one around the corner from me...beautiful silver, looks pretty new - leaves it outside all the time.

Interestingly, wife's A8 gets the same gas mileage as my 430.
Old 01-02-09, 12:46 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of my best friends has owned two new A8's with no problems. When the new LS came out we drove his 04 A8 to the Lexus dealership considering purchase. His 04 A8 was much ahead of the new LS in ride and performance. For the long term owner (6+ years) I cannot help but believe the LS will be a less stressful ownership. Since standing out in the crowd is not important to me the LS was my car of choice. I do believe for safety reason I should have looked a little closer at the A8. Maybe next time.
Old 01-02-09, 04:02 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

As I am sure has been mentioned here, the A8 has massive depreciation problems. It's one of the worst cars for depreciation. So, on that count, the LS430 wins, hands-down. As for reliability, the LS is going to be more reliable. Period. Air suspension is always tricky because you are dealing with parts that are prone to failure by nature. They take a lot of abuse. So, I woudn't be upset about the LS having issues, but more upset that Lexus seems to not be able to help you in a timely manner.

The A8 is awesome, but I wouldn't own one no matter the cost. The reliability risk is far too great in my opinion and the depreciation is unacceptable.
Old 01-02-09, 05:47 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I looked at the A8 as well before picking the LS, I also looked at the MB S-Class, & BMW 7 series. The interior of the A8 was the best and i love the wide stance and looks but after doing research the LS (IMO) was a no brainer. Sure the others were a blast to drive far as sporty performance, however in this league I wanted a lux ride and reliability. When i went on the forums all I read were ppl posting about issues and problems, until i came to CL/LCO. The post were how can I enhance or learn more about the car, more than this broke and that broke again. The German machines are very atractive with some pros but the cons in my book lead me to the LS. If the A8 moves your spirit and is calling your name then go for it! Buying cars are parts of our personalities when you have the means.
Old 01-02-09, 07:17 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would try to find a different point of service and keep your L. It is a great car and will last you many years. You can enjoy your wife's A and then move it when warranty time is up...or extend the warranty. Wouldn't want to own an A out of warranty.
Old 01-02-09, 07:52 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buying a car is about your desire and passion for something. The LS is not for everyone, just like the MB, BMW, or Audi is not for everyone. Otherwise, there would just be on luxo manufacturer. Every car has their own merit, their own fans, etc. Prior to being a Lexus fan, I was pretty much a Honda fan and have gone to Acura, but my bad experience with my Accord drove me to the Lexus direction and I've been there ever since. Depending on how my LS goes, I may or may not keep with Lexus.

Quick Reply: LS430 UL vs Audi A8