LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

need to change rotors, should I go with OEM

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 01:28 PM
coldbay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default need to change rotors, should I go with OEM

I need to change my rotors, does anyone have any advice on what type to buy. Should I just stick with OEM?
Any one change them themselves?
Brake pads are at 75%. rotors are too thin for resurfacing. Brakes pulsate.
Old 12-09-08, 01:53 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recommendation is to always replace he pads when changing out the rotors, no matter how much is left on the pads.

I don't have a recommendation on what rotors to go with, this is something I would like to track as well since when I will need to replace the rotors, I too will want to consider going aftermarket.

If you are running stock wheel set up, I would stay with OEM. Otherwise, if you have wheels that show the rotors and brakes, I would consider changing out the rotors to something other than OEM.
Old 12-09-08, 02:52 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

I have'nt done my rotors yet but when i do i'm gonna go with drilled/slotted rotors....since our rotors are big already they look good.
Old 12-09-08, 05:51 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bonafyd
I have'nt done my rotors yet but when i do i'm gonna go with drilled/slotted rotors....since our rotors are big already they look good.
For me, the main reason to consider going aftermarket is to go drilled/slotted. Question is what brand/make/manufacturer is recommended, especially for those who will want to stay with stock calipers. Therefore, would need OEM replacement instead of custom. There are so many OEM replacement options out there that will meet this criteria. I have no personal experience or know of anyone that has (good or bad) on their LS430. Therefore, I too am interested in where this thread goes.
Old 12-09-08, 07:01 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jman-LS430
For me, the main reason to consider going aftermarket is to go drilled/slotted. Question is what brand/make/manufacturer is recommended, especially for those who will want to stay with stock calipers. Therefore, would need OEM replacement instead of custom. There are so many OEM replacement options out there that will meet this criteria. I have no personal experience or know of anyone that has (good or bad) on their LS430. Therefore, I too am interested in where this thread goes.
R1concepts are really nice rotors 2 of my friends have them on their cars.
one has a 2000 LS400 the other has a 03 LS 430 they both stop really good with the rotors.

as for pads this company called akebono makes really good pads whenever i change brake pads i use them on any car, they last long low dust and their dealer spec pads.
Old 12-09-08, 10:24 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Coldbay, in response to our question on replacing the rotors, it is a DIY. At least for the fronts. Once you take off the calipers (two bolts), the rotors just slide off the studs (you may have to coax the rotor a bit). It is that easy for the fronts. I assume the rears pop off as well once the calipers are removed, but I am not 100% sure.

I figure that by changing the break pads yourself, you can afford to replace the rotors each time as well since you would still be under what you would pay the dealership to just do break pad replacement.
Old 12-10-08, 12:44 AM
Red Square
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes if you change rotors, you should change pads at the same time. how much are oem rotors?

posted this up on the 'brake pad' thread......

changed oem pads and intalled Rotora cross/drilled rotors. stuck with oem pad because the are quiet and good enough for street use. well its not a race car, but this setup seems to be working well.

Rotora rotors:
-R.44122.1c
-R.44122.2c

pick these up at a local shop in city of industry. Six Autoworks has a great deal on them, for $115.00 each
Old 12-10-08, 05:53 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also heard good things aboutR1 Concepts.
Old 12-10-08, 05:03 PM
coldbay
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking I would go with these, any comments?

http://stores.brakeplanet.com/Items/...0Rotors%20Pads
Old 12-10-08, 05:42 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by coldbay
I was thinking I would go with these, any comments?

http://stores.brakeplanet.com/Items/...0Rotors%20Pads

They look pretty good and the price is decent...but it's your call
Old 12-10-08, 06:45 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check to see if you have enough room to get the OEM ones that are on your car right now....re-cut. B/c they machines that can do that....make is smooth again. Unless its crazy warped. But You should be able to do that....plus its cheaper, but if you have wheels that show alot of rotor....cross/drill is a good idea. I wanted to do that, but I got some FAT face wheels...so you really can't see them at all....
Old 12-10-08, 06:46 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Be careful when going with slotted rotors, they really eat up pads. I had gone to a slotted and drilled (brembo) for my previous Accord with ceramic pads and I barely got 20K from the pads when I was getting easily 40K from the OEM flat rotors and pads. Also, with drilled, depending on makes and how they drill, you might develop cracks on the leading edges because of the drilling and being too close to the edge.

If your driving habits fit the OEM pads and rotors, I would say stick with OEM. If you're a heavy driver and brake often, then maybe consider changing. I find the 430's brake system very good.
Old 12-11-08, 02:00 PM
coldbay
Driver School Candidate

After reading up on the pros and cons of OEM and Drilled rotors I have concluded it would be best to stick with OEM.
Thanks for your inputs, much appreciated.
Old 12-12-08, 06:26 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I STRONGLY ADVICE AGAINST SLOTTED & CROSSDRILLED ROTORS:

That being said I wasted about $1000 messing with them and will never do it again. My favorite rotors by far are OEM but made by Brembo. They are a blank rotor (meaning not corssdrilled or slotted) they are vented brembo oem rotors. they were like 50$ a piece and are much stronger than stock. they look exactly like stock but you will instantly notice a big braking difference when combined with a good set of pads. i know of at least 2 people personally using these on their D1 drift cars... now, tell me that they are not useful...

just do the fronts first to see, if for some reason you are not 100% convinced then your only out the 100$ for the 2 front rotors and well i paid 100 for a good set of front pads by a company named hawk but i would say they could easily be reused with another set of rotors after only a few days if you really thought the brembo oem blank vented rotors were not the shiznit.

this is from my own experiences on a gs400. vented and crossdrilled are only for show and were actually less than functional on my car.
Old 12-12-08, 11:48 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Good choice!
LS is very finiky when it comes to brares. I always use OEM to avoid squeeling.
As far as braking power, they are more than adequate in any street application.

Quick Reply: need to change rotors, should I go with OEM