How to Adjust Your Headlights Writeup w/Pix

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 12:15 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
I guess you missed my previous post.
Concerning which point? The rod being damaged or adjusting the high beams left/right? I don't see anything about it.
Old 09-26-15, 03:59 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Concerning which point? The rod being damaged or adjusting the high beams left/right? I don't see anything about it.
The high beams cannot be adjusted left or right. They are stationery, how they're mounted inside. They will only move up or down.

As for the low beams, you will be able to move them left or right using the last adjustment ****, shown in my previous post.
Old 09-28-15, 07:09 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
The high beams cannot be adjusted left or right. They are stationery, how they're mounted inside. They will only move up or down.

As for the low beams, you will be able to move them left or right using the last adjustment ****, shown in my previous post.
I'm not sure if I should be happy or not that there's nothing further I can do about the passenger side high beam aiming too much towards the middle

Oh wells. It might have been off this whole time, I just never noticed since I rarely use it.
Old 11-29-15, 10:20 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KING
Can you make this picture bigger please? I can't read the text in the picture.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-15, 12:05 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Maybe this will help...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headlight Aim.pdf (65.4 KB, 815 views)
Old 11-29-15, 12:33 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

I hope this is easier to read.

The following users liked this post:
aypues (12-19-18)
Old 11-29-15, 12:40 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

much better! Thanks.
Old 01-05-16, 11:56 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Great write up, thanks for detailed info!
Old 01-06-16, 02:26 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I read the how to, and it's not making sense to me. Seems overly complicated from other headlights I've aligned. I think it's the procedure that has me confused with the V lines, H lines, etc. Most importantly, it doesn't specify size of paper (that I can see) nor does it specify how high to mount the paper's "H line" from the ground.

Can someone fill in the blanks to simplify?

1) Park car on level surface about 10 feet from wall.
2) Low beam should be ____ inches on the wall from the ground.
3) High beam should be ____ inches on the wall from ground.

Last edited by RRocket; 01-06-16 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 07:23 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

*just set it to your looking.

There isn't an exact way of doing it. But like retrofitters say, at 20 feet away from the car in front of you

your low beam's cutoff should be under the mirror of the car in front of you.

And you adjust the high beams to your liking.(People tend to prefer aiming them very high, because you don't use them too much, and when you do it is something you want to get a better view of.)

Now, if you're asking what are the OEM parameters for the lights, then I honestly got no idea.
Old 01-06-16, 10:39 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KING
*just set it to your looking.

Now, if you're asking what are the OEM parameters for the lights, then I honestly got no idea.
Yes, that's what I was asking. If I do set the light to my liking, there's a good chance I might be blinding someone.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (12-19-18)
Old 01-16-16, 06:31 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Headlight adjustment specs for 2001-2003 (HID reflectors) are different from 2004-2006 (HID projectors). Here are the 01-03 reflector adjustment instructions translated into a way that I think makes more sense than the service manual:

1) Make sure all tires are inflated to factory spec (most cases this is 32 psi). Make sure gas tank is full and a driver is in the driver's seat. Park on a level surface with the bulb of the headlight 3.00 metres away from a 90 degree vertical wall (preferably white or light-colored). Bounce the vehicle several times to settle the suspension. Start the engine and turn the headlights on.

2) Using dry-erase or a thin sharpie with a level + ruler/yardstick/etc, draw a vertical line (V) exactly at the horizontal center of the vehicle (use rear-view mirror attachment point or centre of front license plate bracket to accurately gauge vehicle center). Then draw a long horizontal line (H) where the horizontal center plane of the vehicle is, which should be straight across from the middle of the headlight assembly or where the center of the bulb reflector is. Draw a vertical line 671 mm to the left of the center vertical line (V LH), and another vertical line 671 mm to the right of the center vertical line (V RH).

3) The vertical of the high beams should be perfectly centred with the horizontal line (H) you just drew (20.9mm of the high beams should strike above the horizontal line, and 20.9mm below).

4) The horizontal of the high beams should be centred on the 2 lines you drew 671mm on the left and right of centre (V LH and V RH), and therefore the distance between the center of the left high beam and center of the right high beam should be 1342mm.

5) The vertical cutoff of both low beams should aim 0.4 degrees below the main horizontal line (H). Knowing the angle of 0.4 degrees and the horizontal distance of 3000mm, we can solve for the distance between the center of the high beam and the bottom cut-off using "tangent = opposite divided by adjacent". Therefore, tan 0.4 degrees = opposite divided by 3000. Rearranging and solving for opposite yields 20.9mm. This means the bottom cut-off of both low beams is exactly 20.9mm below the horizontal line (H).

6) The horizontal of the low beams should be adjusted such that the left beam's bottom right edge is 671mm to the left of the center vertical line (V), and that the right beam's bottom right edge is 671mm to the right of the center vertical line (V).

See attached pic for the service manual instructions.
Attached Thumbnails How to Adjust Your Headlights Writeup w/Pix-adjust-headlight-aim.png  
Old 01-18-16, 12:20 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Headlight adjustment specs for 2001-2003 (HID reflectors) are different from 2004-2006 (HID projectors). Here are the 01-03 reflector adjustment instructions translated into a way that I think makes more sense than the service manual:

1) Make sure all tires are inflated to factory spec (most cases this is 32 psi). Make sure gas tank is full and a driver is in the driver's seat. Park on a level surface with the bulb of the headlight 3.00 metres away from a 90 degree vertical wall (preferably white or light-colored). Bounce the vehicle several times to settle the suspension. Start the engine and turn the headlights on.

2) Using dry-erase or a thin sharpie with a level + ruler/yardstick/etc, draw a vertical line (V) exactly at the horizontal center of the vehicle (use rear-view mirror attachment point or centre of front license plate bracket to accurately gauge vehicle center). Then draw a long horizontal line (H) where the horizontal center plane of the vehicle is, which should be straight across from the middle of the headlight assembly or where the center of the bulb reflector is. Draw a vertical line 671 mm to the left of the center vertical line (V LH), and another vertical line 671 mm to the right of the center vertical line (V RH).

3) The vertical of the high beams should be perfectly centred with the horizontal line (H) you just drew (20.9mm of the high beams should strike above the horizontal line, and 20.9mm below).

4) The horizontal of the high beams should be centred on the 2 lines you drew 671mm on the left and right of centre (V LH and V RH), and therefore the distance between the center of the left high beam and center of the right high beam should be 1342mm.

5) The vertical cutoff of both low beams should aim 0.4 degrees below the main horizontal line (H). Knowing the angle of 0.4 degrees and the horizontal distance of 3000mm, we can solve for the distance between the center of the high beam and the bottom cut-off using "tangent = opposite divided by adjacent". Therefore, tan 0.4 degrees = opposite divided by 3000. Rearranging and solving for opposite yields 20.9mm. This means the bottom cut-off of both low beams is exactly 20.9mm below the horizontal line (H).

6) The horizontal of the low beams should be adjusted such that the left beam's bottom right edge is 671mm to the left of the center vertical line (V), and that the right beam's bottom right edge is 671mm to the right of the center vertical line (V).

See attached pic for the service manual instructions.
Makes a bit more sense! Thanks!

But I have a 2004. Any idea what the numbers are?
Old 01-18-16, 07:44 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Headlight adjustment instructions for 2004-2006:

The low-beams and high-beams are a fixed unit - setting one correctly should set the other correctly.

1) Make sure all tires are inflated to factory spec (most cases this is 32 psi). Make sure gas tank is full and a driver weighing approximately 150lbs is in the driver's seat. Park on a level surface with the bulb of the headlight 3.00 metres away from a 90 degree vertical wall (preferably white or light-colored). Bounce the vehicle several times to settle the suspension. Start the engine and turn the headlights on.

2) Using dry-erase or a thin sharpie with a level + ruler/yardstick/etc, draw (on the wall or a big enough sheet of thick paper taped to the wall) a vertical line (V) exactly at the horizontal center of the vehicle (use rear-view mirror attachment point or centre of front license plate bracket to accurately gauge vehicle center). Then draw a long horizontal line (H) so that it is the same height as the center mark of the low-beam lamp. Draw a vertical line to the left and to the right of the center vertical line (V LH and V RH) so that they line up with the center mark on the low-beams.

3) The vertical cutoff of the left low beam should aim 0.4 degrees below the main horizontal line (H). Knowing the angle of 0.4 degrees and the horizontal distance of 3000mm, we can solve for the distance between the center of the high beam and the bottom cut-off using "tangent = opposite divided by adjacent". Therefore, tan 0.4 degrees = opposite divided by 3000. Rearranging and solving for opposite yields 20.9mm. This means the bottom cut-off of both low beams is exactly 20.9mm below the horizontal line (H).

4) The horizontal of the low beams should be adjusted such that the "step" in the middle of the beams falls exactly on the V LH and V RH lines.

5) To check the high beams, shut off the low beams or disconnect the low-beam connector. The vertical of the high beams should be perfectly centred with the horizontal line (H) you just drew (up to 40mm of the high beams should strike above the horizontal line, and 40mm below).

6) The horizontal of the high beams should be centred on the V LH and V RH lines. The left and right edge of each high beam should shine 40mm to the left and 40mm to the right of each lamp's vertical line.

See attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails How to Adjust Your Headlights Writeup w/Pix-2004-2006-headlight-aim.png  
Old 06-09-16, 12:29 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^Ok. I tried this last night. Either I'm not understanding something or the instructions aren't right. Or Lexus likes their headlights aimed really, really low.

So..following the instruction in step 2, I measured the center line height of the low beam projector. On my 2004, it's 29.5" from the road. So I drew my "H" line 29.5" inches up on the garage door I was aiming on.

But looking at the pics below if I am to follow instructions in step 3, I'd have to lower my low beams roughly 8" so that they would be .82" below my "H" line. That can't possibly be right, can it??

Here's are the pics. If you look close, so can see a small " + " That is my H line with a V line through the middle of it. Note how high above that mark my low beams are.

Comments??

Quick Reply: How to Adjust Your Headlights Writeup w/Pix