LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help quick! Lexus has my 2004 LS430 and is doing the 60,000...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-08, 04:22 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help quick! Lexus has my 2004 LS430 and is doing the 60,000...

Hey folks, I just dropped my 2004 LS430 off to get its 60,000 mile service.

Now, the 60,000 service for $550 is:

Lube Oil & Filter
Engine Air Filter
AC Filter
Wiper Blades
Brake Fluid Flush
ABS System (Service) - flush it
Replace Fuel Tank Camp
Fuel System Cleaning (Injectors)
Rotate Tires & Road Force Balance
Inspection
Fluids, Tires, Reset Light

The manager just called and told me the following things (in addition to the above) should be done:

Engine drive belt replacement (current is showing cracks) $175
Power Steering Flush (smells a bit burnt and is dirty) $150
Differential Fluid (gear oil replacement) $89
Transmission Fluid Flush (World Standard Trans Fluid) $299

So this is all being presented to me as $1,260 to service.

So... any red flags here, or does this seem feasible?
Old 11-11-08, 04:30 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least not the WS tranny flush.
Old 11-11-08, 05:07 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogy

Lube Oil & Filter
Engine Air Filter
AC Filter
Wiper Blades

If you want to save some more $$$, you can do these yourself....since you can change your own brakes

Inspection

1. Brake Fluid Flush
2. ABS System (Service) - flush it
3. Replace Fuel Tank Camp
4. Fuel System Cleaning (Injectors)

These 4 seems like the major ones here.

The manager just called and told me the following things (in addition to the above) should be done:

Same with blacksc400 on the trans fluid. I guess it can depend on the "condition of your driving" since AZ weather is more extreme than here in CA.
From the past threads, seems like it's indicated at least in the 100k.

Without offending the manager, see if he can show that in the maintenance book.
Old 11-11-08, 05:11 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Seriously, you can do most of the work yourself for less than 200-300 dollars. You car is out of warranty anyway, right?

Only work is hard to work on is WS fluid, but it is 100K interval.
Old 11-11-08, 06:00 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Worth it. The next big one will be your t belt.
Old 11-11-08, 06:01 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What a bunch of crap. You got $1260 to throw down the drain? I'd be the only thing that needs to be done is oil/filter change, air filter, drive belt, maybe flush the brake fluid. The rest is window dressing. Would you rather keep that money? Unless you're fricking Bill Gates buck up and do it yourself.
Old 11-11-08, 06:21 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The WS trans fluid is a 100,000 mile fluid. I would skip that as the others have stated.

Replace the drive belt if it's cracked or glazed. If you are unsure, get a flash light and check it yourself. *If the odometer is at 60k miles and the belt has NEVER been replaced then I recommend that you replace it (I bet theres a 99.9% chance that its cracking at that mileage if not replaced yet).

Power Steering flush, not really recommended unless you are having problems.

I'd recommend replacing the gear oil as well in the rear diff if not yet done so, as well.

Honestly...I'm suprised the gear oil replacement is not part of the 60k service.
Old 11-11-08, 07:18 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

OK it sounds like the Belt and Rear Differential Fluid are the two legit "add-ons".

I love how everyone assumes I have the time or facilites now to do this myself, sadly I do not. However, I am wondering if the price is common/in-line with 60K service.

Do the prices seem pretty standard?
Old 11-11-08, 09:27 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Price of $550 sounds about right also.....

Lube Oil & Filter
Engine Air Filter
AC Filter
Wiper Blades
Brake Fluid Flush
ABS System (Service) - flush it
Replace Fuel Tank Camp
Fuel System Cleaning (Injectors)
Inspection

I thought the gear oil was part of the service, may be wrong about that. Anyway, the belt replacement I would do. I had the same belt go bad at about the same time so thats a do it item. I would have the gear oil replaced but, that's just me.

The other suggestions are funny to me. I wasn't told to do these items and wsn't suggested to do them either at the 60,000 mile mark. I would do the gear oil and the belt replacement. Would buy the belt myself and just have them install it. It has to be some place that sells the belt for less than the dealer will charge. Of course this is all if you can have the time to look for the belt yourself, if not have them do all the work and supply the belt.

Dealers make there money in the service department so I feel you asking this question is smart but, theres no way to tell if there straight with us consumers who aren't car repair savvy. It's a roll of the dice to say the least bro so go with your instincts and as for the other items they suggest, check with a Toyota dealer and see if the price is cheaper or get those items done one at a time over the next 6 months as you make extra money. You can do them one at a time and for now just do the gear oil and belt replacement. All The Best!
Old 11-12-08, 06:15 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

It never fails to amaze me what some Lexus dealers will do to pad their profits -- even after driving Lexus LS cars for 19 years and 250,500 miles. Even the local Mercedes dealer wasn't nearly that bad.

A power steering fluid flush? Get real.
A "World Standard Trans Fluid"? Very funny.
The drive belt belt should be replaced at 90K when the timing belt is replaced -- dealers love the "starting to show cracks" scam.

I rarely use a Lexus dealer anymore and am lucky to have a great indie repair shop nearby that specializes in Lexus. I had enough after a Lexus dealer tried to charge me about $1500 for an unneeded new ECU just after the basic warranty on my first LS expired. You should have seen the look on their faces when I called a tow truck to have my LS transported from the dealership to a nearby indie repair shop -- they immediately "back pedaled" and told me that problem was really a $15 battery cable.

Any good indie shops in AZ?
Old 11-12-08, 06:54 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

here is a link to what lexus actually does/ charge by model and year: http://www.lexusofbridgewater.com/MiscPage_3

according to this lexus scheduled regular maintenance guide it should be $818, and the only things additional on your list that are not on this lex list are"

'ABS System (Service) - flush it'
this sounds like a fancy way of saying the brake fluid flush which is already listed on both lex's and your list

'Replace Fuel Tank Camp'
add $50 for whatever the hell this is

'Fuel System Cleaning (Injectors)'
if you really want to get fancy it should be around $115 or so but not anymore

'Power Steering Flush (smells a bit burnt and is dirty)'
this should be around $100, i wouldn't pay more

I would say $1000 is a fair price for lex to charge and for you to pay for this entire list to be completed. NO MORE, no less (for the items you listed).

Last edited by sojah; 11-12-08 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-12-08, 08:34 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

So actually their price of $550 (only missing the rear differential fluid) is actually better than the other dealerships. The only question is the belt; Kansas recommends there's no need to replace it at all. I don't know enough about belts to know if their cracking is just part of the process and they can function that way for another 30K miles.

No question I'll add the rear differential fluid change (since it's on the other Lexus' list).

So do I do the Engine Drive Belt as well? He said he was "slightly glazed and cracked".
Old 11-12-08, 09:09 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i would take it to a private mechanic and talk to them for a few minutes and make sure you study up on all of this info before you go to make it sound like you know what your talking about. BS with the guy for a minute or two and pretend like you know what you are talking about and what not. You should be able to get all the important stuff done, i.e. belt, trans flush, rear dif flush, oil change, all filters, fuel injector cleaning, rotate & balance tires, and power steering flush for like $500 - $600. But if you want that piece of mind from lexus then I would shell out around a grand and get them to take care of your whole list but for no more than $1000.
Old 11-12-08, 09:25 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

OK had to make a decision since my car is at dealership right now. I told them to do the belt and rear differential fluid. We negotiated a price and I'll be out the door with tax for no more than $800, so I got a bit of a discount. He's also going to give me the belt to look at.

Yah it sucks, I wish I could just trust 100% of everything they say, and while I like the mechanic that works on my car and the service guy has constantly given discounts, I also know dealing with dealership is like dealing with lawyers. You have to be careful.
Old 11-12-08, 11:55 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I agree,it's like dealing with lawyers!!!

OK had to make a decision since my car is at dealership right now. I told them to do the belt and rear differential fluid. We negotiated a price and I'll be out the door with tax for no more than $800, so I got a bit of a discount. He's also going to give me the belt to look at.

Yah it sucks, I wish I could just trust 100% of everything they say, and while I like the mechanic that works on my car and the service guy has constantly given discounts, I also know dealing with dealership is like dealing with lawyers. You have to be careful.
The hard thing is the fact that the labor is what most of the price of repairs/service is. On almost all my services/repairs the labor is more than the parts. They charge about $45-$90 an hour depending on negotiating with them if you question it. I was given the so-called discount as well but, decided not to argue or debate because they had my car for 5 days after bringing it in for an alignment and tire installation and balance.

The dealer/service department called me and said my suspension was looking out of wack so the alignment they performed couldn't be done %100 correct and I needed 2 parts replace. I questioned was it needed and they were to vague and said that it wasn't a safety issue but, the tires would wear down quicker like the reason I was having the alignment done in the first place. So my dilema was and I asked the service guy was it needed or not.

The service guy said I should replace the front part that needs to be replaced because it was worse than the back part that needs replacement. Im no mechanic so my issue is I don't know what is wrong or right with my car. Anyway I trust nobody with todays world even pre-economy illness. People do what they need for the dollar and with a bad econmy it will get worse and the guy/girls that work in these departments are judged by performance trust me despite how they'll respond to my post. All they do is reduce the cost of labor bro, thats all and call it a discount!

L.G.N.M

All the best on your car issues!

Last edited by usermel; 11-12-08 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Need help quick! Lexus has my 2004 LS430 and is doing the 60,000...