LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Any suggestions for unexplained stalling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 12:58 PM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any suggestions for unexplained stalling?

My 04 has 55,000 miles. Yesterday I had driven about 60 miles with the last 10 miles being 30 to 45 miles an hour cross street driving and then my car stalled at an intersection. The car would not move when I pressed the gas pedal and I could not to restart the car to move it. Eventually, AAA showed up and I had towed it to the dealer. An hour later, the dealer could restart my car and he has absolutely no idea why this happened as the computer codes did not tell them that anything was wrong with the car. The tow truck driver wondered if there was something wrong with the alternator but they said it was okay and the car has a new battery. I do have the platinum warranty and I would prefer to drive a reliable car so I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Old 10-07-08, 06:01 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe a censor??
Old 10-07-08, 07:26 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loose plug wire or bad spark plugs? Or a sensor. Quite odd that there is no other symptoms. Do you have a unsteady ideal at all as of now?
Old 10-07-08, 09:19 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did you recently buy this car used?? sounds like potential lemon...
Old 10-08-08, 07:30 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hesitation?

Originally Posted by ultra63
My 04 has 55,000 miles. Yesterday I had driven about 60 miles with the last 10 miles being 30 to 45 miles an hour cross street driving and then my car stalled at an intersection. The car would not move when I pressed the gas pedal and I could not to restart the car to move it. Eventually, AAA showed up and I had towed it to the dealer. An hour later, the dealer could restart my car and he has absolutely no idea why this happened as the computer codes did not tell them that anything was wrong with the car. The tow truck driver wondered if there was something wrong with the alternator but they said it was okay and the car has a new battery. I do have the platinum warranty and I would prefer to drive a reliable car so I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Has this happened before? Has it happened since? I mean with no CEL code, no warning... or whatever, then it literally could be anything with an engine sensor or detector. That would be very dangerous to just stall out like that. I wonder if the dealer can run a full electronic diagnostic on it.
Old 10-08-08, 07:49 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When did you get tis car and if recently, have you done a carfax on it for potential flood area exposure? Flood vehicles often exhibit such behavior.
Old 10-09-08, 10:04 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Shlomboy
maybe a censor??
If it's throwing a code, it's usually the vehicle speed sensor or throttle position accelerator-very common problem in the GS.

My air filter tubing came loose once in the GS and that also caused it to stall
Old 10-10-08, 11:58 AM
duncan73
Driver

Default Failure to proceed

I would immediately suspect that "new battery" in terms of dead cell, loose connections, loose ground, etc.
Good Luck!
Old 10-10-08, 12:22 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

^^^AFter the car is started, the alternator takes over so the battery is not involved.

The car will still run after you disconnect the battery.
Old 11-09-08, 05:52 PM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Same thing happened today on the other side of Tamap Bay. I was hopeful a different dealer would find the cause in this car which I bought new and kept because the euro tuned version is harder to find. Both dealers belong to Autonation and that tempers my optimism. Both times this happened after alonger than normal drive for me(50-80 minutes) when I was driving more slowly-this time in a parking lot.
Old 11-10-08, 07:17 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

There is definitely a problem....Very Unusual for an LS with that kinda miles to do that
Old 11-10-08, 08:03 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Go get it checked at a Lexus dealer!!!!

Originally Posted by ultra63
Same thing happened today on the other side of Tamap Bay. I was hopeful a different dealer would find the cause in this car which I bought new and kept because the euro tuned version is harder to find. Both dealers belong to Autonation and that tempers my optimism. Both times this happened after alonger than normal drive for me(50-80 minutes) when I was driving more slowly-this time in a parking lot.
Dont take your car to anyone but Lexus if you can. Autonations mechanics dont specialize in Lexus' like the dealer does. I know it will be costly if the dealer fixes your issue but, it sounds serious! Something is wrong with your car and it may need testing that a Toyota/Lexus dealer can find easier than a non-Toyota/Lexus! They may not be able t find any issue because they don't know what to look for.

All The Best

L.G.N.M
Old 11-10-08, 08:23 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

sounds like a cam or crank sensor. when they start to go bad the will get hot, loose signal and shut down the car. they after cool down it will restart like nothing ever happened. Have them check those sensors one on driver side cam and one on lower timing cover at crank.
Old 11-11-08, 05:41 AM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Autonation owns both Lexus dealerships here
Old 11-11-08, 06:36 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I've had similar problems with the engine dying perhaps 5 - 7 times in the almost 19 years I've been driving Lexus LS cars. The problem has usually been a worn out or defective battery except once in my 90 LS when it was a bad alternator and another time when it was a defective battery cable.

The engine has died only at low speeds - 10 - 15 mph - sometimes when turning a corner or hitting a bump in a parking lot. My repair shop owner tells me that broken battery connection can temporarily disconnect and reconnect so that the car can usually be restarted -- at least until the battery fails completely.

The VSC warning has come on each of the 2 or 3 times the engine in my 2000 LS400 LS400 has died -- according to my owners manual, it is normal for the VSC warning to come on when power from the battery is interrupted. After replacing the battery, the VSC warning can be turned off by following the reset procedure or driving a few miles until it resets itself.

If your VSC warning is not coming on after restarting your engine after it dies, I suspect the problem is not the battery or charging system.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for unexplained stalling?