LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Navigation not Tracking correctly

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 07:56 AM
lexontario
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation not Tracking correctly

I reset my location and direction but after 3 to 5 miles my distance is too far ahead of my location and my direction usually goes wrong. Seems my location via gps is not working properly. Any ideas or is this for the dealer to correct?
Old 09-20-08, 11:41 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

When did this start? and have you made any changes since it last worked?

Try and do a Tire reset? Does the little GPS icon disappear? or is it on all the time?
Old 09-20-08, 01:54 PM
lexontario
Driver School Candidate

I tried going into (menu), then (map appearance), then under the (guidance mode) i changes from (map) to (arrow). Seems to be working now.
As for seeing a GPS icon, you must mean the yellow circle with the red triangle in it, which is there all the time, I dont see any other indicator that says the system is reading the satellite.

2003 LS 430

I did get new tries installed and did the tire reset but had this problem proir to the new tires
Any way i will see how it works now and repost how things go.

Last edited by lexontario; 09-20-08 at 01:59 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-21-08, 01:38 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by lexontario
I tried going into (menu), then (map appearance), then under the (guidance mode) i changes from (map) to (arrow). Seems to be working now.
As for seeing a GPS icon, you must mean the yellow circle with the red triangle in it, which is there all the time, I dont see any other indicator that says the system is reading the satellite.

2003 LS 430

I did get new tries installed and did the tire reset but had this problem proir to the new tires
Any way i will see how it works now and repost how things go.
There is a GPS icon in the top left corner of the screen that indicates a connection has been made. Im not talking about the yellow circle, that just indicates where the car is on the map, or at least where the system thinks it is.
Old 09-22-08, 12:19 PM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
There is a GPS icon in the top left corner of the screen that indicates a connection has been made. Im not talking about the yellow circle, that just indicates where the car is on the map, or at least where the system thinks it is.
The 2003 and earlier sat nav screen only has an icon when there is no signal, underneath the compass arrow in the top left corner you will see an icon that says GPS and it will have a red cross through it if there is no signal. For some unknown reason Lexus saw fit to do away with the whole icon when you have a signal.

Can't help with the no signal issue much though, have you had any work done on the car, maybe something has been disturbed, a lot of the stuff is in the trunk, have you carried any large/heavy things that might have damaged something???

Good Luck

Pete
Old 09-22-08, 01:57 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every now and then the gps sign in my car will go off and the map will roam from where I really am. Once it regains the signal, it jumps back on track.
Old 09-22-08, 06:04 PM
lexontario
Driver School Candidate

I called the dealer in my area and asked them if there is a way for them to reset or check the nav other than as per the manual. he said to reset my location then do the tire change reset right away.So i got the impression that there was no special dealer access to the system to reset or check it . I will try resetting again and see. He also said try to stay on main roads for a while for the system to reset, may need that so the system can pick up sat signals. I am getting sat signals as i have seen the system adjust my location as im driving on main roads. Seems to drift off both in distance and direction when i get on roads between main streets.
Other than that i havent carried anything heavy in the trunck.
I did have to remove my bass speaker from the rear deck as i was getting a rattle from it ,I reglued the driver surround to the mounting unit as it was from the factory and reinstalled it.Maybe the cable from my sat antenna
has gotten piched during that proceedure since the upper back of the seat was loosend and pulled forward to be able to lift the rear deck cover to remove the speaker .
I would think that the sat cable would run to the truck where the DVD drive is via the passenger side rear pillar and then along the rear wheel well 1/4 panel area to the DVD drive not really coming close to the seating area or rear deck.
Will try the dealer suggestion first ...
Thanks for the ideas...
Old 09-25-08, 02:44 PM
lexontario
Driver School Candidate

Cool GPS Not Locking on Signal

Gps only sometimes locks on signal (green box under compass ,scale, box in upper left of nav screen)
Does anyone know if its suppose to be on all the time?
Anyone know a short description of the system, in the manual it said to keep things clear of the dash.
Any onther ideas? Thanks:
Old 09-25-08, 04:58 PM
lexontario
Driver School Candidate

I tried going into the truck and lifted out the DVD drive unit . I removed and replaced the cables that go into the unit then returned the unit to its mount.
In the morning on th eway to work the navigation screen showed the GPS icon confirming it was locked onto a sat signal. But after work it did not pick up the signal again . May have a broken wire in the system or unit is on its way out.
Any ideas?
Old 09-25-08, 06:44 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Haylands
The 2003 and earlier sat nav screen only has an icon when there is no signal, underneath the compass arrow in the top left corner you will see an icon that says GPS and it will have a red cross through it if there is no signal. For some unknown reason Lexus saw fit to do away with the whole icon when you have a signal.

Can't help with the no signal issue much though, have you had any work done on the car, maybe something has been disturbed, a lot of the stuff is in the trunk, have you carried any large/heavy things that might have damaged something???

Good Luck

Pete
We'll I have a gen 3 in my GS, and a gen 4 in my LS, and its a GPS icon. Maybe the one you speak of is on the 01's (gen2 navi)?

*threads have been merged.
Old 09-26-08, 02:20 AM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
We'll I have a gen 3 in my GS, and a gen 4 in my LS, and its a GPS icon. Maybe the one you speak of is on the 01's (gen2 navi)?

*threads have been merged.
Hi

Over here all pre 2003 LS430's have the gen2 navi which is as I've described, I thought they were the same your side of the pond??

Pete
Old 09-26-08, 02:27 AM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

This is what my screen looks like

The "no GPS" icon comes up under the direction arrow in the top left hand side and above the direction of next turn arrow (shown here as right)

Picture was of a mountain pass in the Alps, tested the roadholding on those roads!!!! First time I used the sport switch for the dampers....

Pete
Old 09-26-08, 05:30 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think that this may be normal given that my system does the same thing. GPS satellite signals are very week. There are a lot of satellites which can be used, three of which need to be available in order to triangulate your position. Sometimes, I think that, sometimes, three is just not available unless you have a massive antenna sticking up on top of your roof!
Old 09-26-08, 02:44 PM
lexontario
Driver School Candidate

Checked and I have Version 03.1. I did get a box with (GPS) in it under my [direction scale box ] and the system was tracking correctly then . It worked the rest of the way to work , then hasnt worked since.
Have to break down and visit the dealer to troubleshoot. Too many electronic varibles to find an internittant problem like this
Old 09-27-08, 06:48 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Hi

Over here all pre 2003 LS430's have the gen2 navi which is as I've described, I thought they were the same your side of the pond??

Pete
Actually, gen2 was only used on 2001 LS models, 2002-03 was upgraded to gen3. Not sure why Lexus made the jump in only one year.

This is what my screen looks like

The "no GPS" icon comes up under the direction arrow in the top left hand side and above the direction of next turn arrow (shown here as right)

Picture was of a mountain pass in the Alps, tested the roadholding on those roads!!!! First time I used the sport switch for the dampers....

Pete
Actually, ours looks a bit differently. I cant find pics at the moment, but we do have a GPS icon in the upper left corner and slight graphical differences. Seems like yours is a slightly different system all together.

Quick Reply: Navigation not Tracking correctly