LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 LS430 buying help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 06:07 PM
rael
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 LS430 buying help

I am dumping my hybrid and have decided to purchase a used Lexus LS430. I am contemplating an 01 with 92K, Nav, Sunroof, Chrome wheels, original owner, all factory maint, just had 90K service completed, and new trunk struts. They claim the car was always garaged, and it looked like it.

They are asking $14.9K and I am thinking $13.5K. Is it worth that? I am kind of new on this board, but I have been reading as much as I can. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-17-08, 07:26 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hybrid

Originally Posted by rael
I am dumping my hybrid and have decided to purchase a used Lexus LS430. I am contemplating an 01 with 92K, Nav, Sunroof, Chrome wheels, original owner, all factory maint, just had 90K service completed, and new trunk struts. They claim the car was always garaged, and it looked like it.

They are asking $14.9K and I am thinking $13.5K. Is it worth that? I am kind of new on this board, but I have been reading as much as I can. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Boy, you're surely going against the "grain." What, the hybrid giving too good fuel mileage, need something that sips a little more gas? ha ha. Just kidding. Welcome aboard and I'm also looking, but at an '05 though. As for worth or not, I think any 01-03 LS430 under 100K for $15K is worth it. I mean you're getting a lot of luxury car and RELIABILITY for that money. It's a bargain for sure and right now is good time to get one.

With all that said, even with great reliability, with 90K it's a hit-or-miss with anything that might break. Let's say a suspension goes on you... fluke, or just bad luck? Who's to say.

If you can get for $14K, I think it would be great. If Ultra-Luxury package, even better.
Old 09-17-08, 08:19 PM
Shilly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just paid much more for a 2001 with 52,500 miles about 2 weeks ago and I have a 60K service to pay for in the next few months due to it being 7 years old. I think you could do worst for a car that has had dealer service and was $50K+ when new. BTW I am getting about 23 Miles per gallon in my LS430.
Old 09-17-08, 08:39 PM
rael
Rookie

The problem with the Hybrid (O7 Civic) is that it is a bit small, really slow, and the air conditioner is marginal in the Phoenix heat, if not totally useless. I am going to miss the HOV Lane access but I can adjust my travel times.

The good news is that it still is worth nearly what I paid for it, even after 20K miles. I have made the decision to sell it and go with a Lexus. Now, I am just trying to decide between this O1 or go for an 04 for a bit more money. Thanks for your observations.
Old 09-18-08, 08:33 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

the ls430's imo are the best bang for buck luxury car right now.

blue book price is very low right now, maybe due to v8.

here in so cal, u can get a 01-03 with about 50-70K miles for about 14k easy. High mileage 90K to 120K can be had for about 10K easy
Old 09-18-08, 12:55 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Is it a Ultra Luxury model? For 15k for a Ultra Lux with 92k miles that is really not that bad.
Old 09-18-08, 06:57 PM
rael
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikemareen
the ls430's imo are the best bang for buck luxury car right now.

blue book price is very low right now, maybe due to v8.

here in so cal, u can get a 01-03 with about 50-70K miles for about 14k easy. High mileage 90K to 120K can be had for about 10K easy
I am just not seeing those kinds of deals or prices on cars.com or autotrader, even in SoCal. Where should I be looking?
Old 09-18-08, 07:19 PM
Shilly
Driver School Candidate

I am just not seeing those kinds of deals or prices on cars.com or autotrader, even in SoCal. Where should I be looking?
Those are NOT retail prices. There may be some re-born hippies out there dumping their LS430s and trading them in on a Prius for that kind of money. I think the deal you were offered is more than fair and if it has had consistent factory recommended service and has had no major wrecks or problems (Pull a CARFAX on it) you could do a LOT worse that this car.
Old 09-23-08, 02:41 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Buy it!

Thanks
You should buy it at 14,900 in my opinion. If you can offer say 14,500 do so to get it. If they did the 90,000 mile service for you it can cost depending on dealer between $800-$1000 bucks so it evens out if you try and be positive about it. These cars are worth it and you must consider that they may only make $1,000 or less in profit on this car based on its value and its good to let them make at least $500 profit.

If this car was at a dealer it would be $2,500-$4,000 more with the fees and other charges they add to the price and if this is a dealer selling the car buy it. They are making a few bucks but your only $1,000 or so apart in price. Go for it!

I suggest asking can you get it inspected by the dealership first if its a privte seller and if its an independednt dealer and not a Lexus dealer request an inspection from the Lexus dealer as well. Tell them you'll pay for the inspection because its worth it if the dealership finds problems! All the best!

L.G.N.M
Old 09-23-08, 06:52 AM
rael
Rookie

Thanks for your opinion. I worked the deal at $14K (it is through a private party) and I pick it up tomorrow. The nice thing about Arizona is no private party sales tax. After inspection, I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 09-23-08, 08:14 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Nice! Keep us updated.
Old 09-23-08, 08:57 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Great!

Thanks for your opinion. I worked the deal at $14K (it is through a private party) and I pick it up tomorrow. The nice thing about Arizona is no private party sales tax. After inspection, I will let you know how it turns out.
Hope it turns out perfect for you!

L.G.N.M
Old 09-24-08, 06:19 PM
rael
Rookie

Default Done Deal.

Met the seller at Scottsdale Lexus today, got the report of " the car is nearly perfect", got the entire service history, paid my $118 for the inspection, paid for the car at $14K, and I am good to go. I really like the car. Thanks for everyone's help. I will post photos tomorrow.
Old 09-25-08, 06:54 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Congrats!

Met the seller at Scottsdale Lexus today, got the report of " the car is nearly perfect", got the entire service history, paid my $118 for the inspection, paid for the car at $14K, and I am good to go. I really like the car. Thanks for everyone's help. I will post photos tomorrow.
Glad it worked out for you.

L.G.N.M
Old 09-25-08, 07:23 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase. Look forward to seeing pictures.

Regards,
Jonny

Quick Reply: 2001 LS430 buying help