LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

step-by-step timing belt replacement LS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 05:00 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
Those pics aren't correct. Lining up the timing marks as you have shown is correct only for verifying correct phasing. If the marks don't line up the crank needs to be rotated 360°. For tensioner and belt removal the crank needs to be advanced until the notch on the pulley lines up with the pin behind it. This will advance the cams so they line up with the "T"s on the rear covers. This position has the least amount of pressure on the valve springs and keeps the pistons as far away from the valves as possible.
Thank you for your feedback. I've deleted my post accordingly.
Old 01-05-17, 06:33 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Thank you for your feedback. I've deleted my post accordingly.
What year is your manual for? My '01 manual shows to line up the timing marks like your pics and then rotate the crank 50° clockwise and remove everything. The .pdf you posted shows lining up the marks, rotating 50° clockwise, and then going back 50° counter clockwise, which would put you back where you started. I'm guessing both ways work as I did mine as instructed and you did yours as shown and both are still running. Interesting. I wonder when and why Lexus changed it.
Old 01-09-17, 11:33 AM
rkmorrow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason that the camshafts are positioned at their respective "T" is to equalize lifter forces so the cams don't turn when the timing belt is removed. On my second timing belt replacement I followed the service manual and turned the crankshaft too far. As soon as the timing belt was off, both cams suddenly spun, stopping only when a valve hit a piston on each side. Fortunately this didn't do any damage, but it got my attention. Follow the video and hints in this forum to set the crank/cam positon correctly for belt removal, take off the tensioner, then turn the passenger side cam clockwise just a hair more to take the tension off the water pump loop. Now the belt is easy to remove and replace. (Don't turn either camshaft counterclockwise because the bolts are just covering a hole and they will likely unscrew.)
Old 01-20-17, 03:54 PM
whenagain
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rkmorrow
The reason that the camshafts are positioned at their respective "T" is to equalize lifter forces so the cams don't turn when the timing belt is removed. On my second timing belt replacement I followed the service manual and turned the crankshaft too far. As soon as the timing belt was off, both cams suddenly spun, stopping only when a valve hit a piston on each side. Fortunately this didn't do any damage, but it got my attention. Follow the video and hints in this forum to set the crank/cam positon correctly for belt removal, take off the tensioner, then turn the passenger side cam clockwise just a hair more to take the tension off the water pump loop. Now the belt is easy to remove and replace. (Don't turn either camshaft counterclockwise because the bolts are just covering a hole and they will likely unscrew.)
Thank you for mentioning this!
This is my 5th or 6th timing belt job, but first on this vehicle. I've followed "Nick's" youtube video in parallel with the Lexus service manual for the LS430, and the only real place it differs is with marking the timing on the crank shaft pulley (CSP): After you have the cams at top & the CSP at zero, the manual says to turn the CSP 50 degrees clockwise, and make the timing mark in-line between the CSP bolt and the No. 2 timing belt idler pulley bolt, which is 15-20 degrees further than the small marking post on the bottom timing belt cover.
Based on your experience, it sounds like that 50 degrees is too far, and the marking post on the timing cover may be the safer marking spot.
Does that sound correct everyone?
Old 01-20-17, 05:15 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Use to post to line it up. The bolt method is too far. Using the post, the marks on the cam pulleys will line up with the "T"s cast into the rear covers.
Old 01-20-17, 07:38 PM
whenagain
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
Use to post to line it up. The bolt method is too far. Using the post, the marks on the cam pulleys will line up with the "T"s cast into the rear covers.
Thanks for the quick reply! Info overload got me paranoid, so wanted to triple-check and save the mega headache & expense.
Old 01-22-17, 10:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I envy you guys tackling this job

I decided to open up the wallet and spend $7xx to have a shop do it now, rather than end of year. I haven't hit 90 yet but figure what the hey, let's get this car tip top and be done with it...
Old 01-22-17, 10:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsburgh
So I had it towed into a dealership. I had everything out and organized except for the crank bolt. I previously bought all parts on Amazon or an auto parts store, which I had them replace:

Timing belt
Thermostat
Two pulleys
Hydraulic tensioner
Water pump
8 spark plugs

The dealer had to recharge a/c as well. There was no problem with the starter (not sure why it wasn't engaging when trying the starter bump method).

$675 dealer costs (including a/c recharge)

$240 for all parts

$915 total ($115/hr labor) It could have been a lot worse I think... Thanks again for the help.
With this price, was the dealer cost lower because a lot of work was already done? That's not a bad price, although I see $115 is low for this area. I think with an indie I'd rather pay the $7xx incl. parts, since this drives warranty or no warranty.
Old 06-20-18, 07:32 PM
Geekbiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Guys,
I am a newbie here. I just bought a 2002 LS430 with 82k miles. The previous (only) owner had the timing belt replaced at the dealer when the car had 60k miles in January 2008. Do you think it is necessary to replace the timing belt now with just 22k miles on the present belt? I know it was installed 10 years ago.
Old 06-21-18, 04:46 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Geekbiker
Hi Guys,
I am a newbie here. I just bought a 2002 LS430 with 82k miles. The previous (only) owner had the timing belt replaced at the dealer when the car had 60k miles in January 2008. Do you think it is necessary to replace the timing belt now with just 22k miles on the present belt? I know it was installed 10 years ago.
You won't really get a definitive answer on this one. A couple of members have said that no one's ever heard of a timing belt breaking from age alone, but the majority of owners will tell you "why risk it?". These engine are interference motors and you'll be scrapping the engine if it breaks while driving/running at all. To save a couple hundred dollars, buy all the parts you need from a website like parts.com that sells only OEM genuine Toyota parts for a lot less than a dealership would sell them directly to you, then bring the car to a shop that will do just the labor for you. Or you can do the labor yourself with the help of the many step-by-step threads with pictures that have been posted here over the years.

For what it's worth, I'm more of a "why risk it?" type of guy...
Old 06-21-18, 07:12 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
you can do the labor yourself with the help of the many step-by-step threads with pictures that have been posted here over the years.

For what it's worth, I'm more of a "why risk it?" type of guy...
Agreed... I've done the timing belts on both my LS's in the last 3 months and neither one showed much wear at all. My 2005 had just 59,000 on it and the parts all basically looked new, and my 2001 with 197,000 had roughly 93K on the second belt, and it too looked to be in very good shape. The water pump was clean and showed minimal wear and the tensioner/idler pulleys all looked fine on both cars.

Piece of mind? You bet... And doing it myself saved me from spending more than I needed to. So for me it was an easy choice.
Old 06-21-18, 09:53 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Agreed... I've done the timing belts on both my LS's in the last 3 months and neither one showed much wear at all. My 2005 had just 59,000 on it and the parts all basically looked new, and my 2001 with 197,000 had roughly 93K on the second belt, and it too looked to be in very good shape. The water pump was clean and showed minimal wear and the tensioner/idler pulleys all looked fine on both cars.
And something that hasn't been brought up before... sure a lot of people, like yourself, have changed their TB and said that it "looked new still" or "barely worn", but is it not possible that something like the TB can still "look fine" after so many miles and years but still be susceptible to failure? Just because something doesn't present any obvious signs of wear externally doesn't mean it isn't structurally degraded and weakened. I'd hate to take the timing cover off to replace it, see a belt that looks fine and put it right back together... only to have the TB snap in 6 months time.
The following users liked this post:
Geekbiker (06-22-18)
Old 06-21-18, 01:43 PM
Geekbiker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I guess "better safe than sorry" is the way to go. I will schedule this within the next couple weeks with my mechanic.
Old 06-22-18, 06:51 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
And something that hasn't been brought up before... sure a lot of people, like yourself, have changed their TB and said that it "looked new still" or "barely worn", but is it not possible that something like the TB can still "look fine" after so many miles and years but still be susceptible to failure? Just because something doesn't present any obvious signs of wear externally doesn't mean it isn't structurally degraded and weakened. I'd hate to take the timing cover off to replace it, see a belt that looks fine and put it right back together... only to have the TB snap in 6 months time.
Good point here.. First glance, it may look alright, but hidden dangers and all that.... The good thing is, that if the belt does start to come apart, you'll see the edges starting to fray when you pull the cover to take a look.
Old 06-22-18, 09:49 AM
Geekbiker
Driver School Candidate

Is there some way of viewing the timing belt without removing the drive belts and any other equipment? Maybe with very little work being able to inspect the TB?

Quick Reply: step-by-step timing belt replacement LS430