LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

prospective ls430 buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-08, 08:24 AM
hook17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prospective ls430 buyer

Hey guys.. Im new here and I'm planning on buying a 2004 or 2005 ls430...

I wanted opinions on which is the more sound model and about extending the warranty. I plan to get the car with under 45k miles and extending the warranty through lexus. What are the options like and is it the option of extending it another 2 yr and 50000 miles.?

thanks
Old 08-24-08, 08:40 AM
LexFather

Welcome to CLublexus. Where are you buying the car from? I looked at Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett's inventory and they have quite a few LS 430s with a good price. Since htey are certified they come with a 100k warrenty.

If you buy from outside the Lexus dealer, you will have to go through an outside warrenty company.

If you buy a LS from Lexus NOT certified, you also can get a warrenty from an outside vendor, they will offer it.

IMO, the LS 430 maybe the best Lexus ever built, its superb. Once maintenance was done, I would skip the warrenty.
Old 08-24-08, 08:51 AM
hook17
Driver School Candidate

I found a car using autotrader from an independent dealer. Its still under warranty, so I guess its not like bmw where you can extend it through the dealer?

Its a base model running for $25800 and it has 39000 miles..
Old 08-24-08, 07:53 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3/100k

Originally Posted by hook17
I found a car using autotrader from an independent dealer. Its still under warranty, so I guess its not like bmw where you can extend it through the dealer?

Its a base model running for $25800 and it has 39000 miles..
I'm also looking into a 2005 LS430 and it seems that the Lexus 3/100K warranty is already padded into the cost of the LS430 because comparing two, one CPO and one at a "used car" dealer, the LS430 was about $3000 more. The used dealer offered a 3/100K warranty for $2800 and you can go through Lexus for the warrantied coverage, this was also bumper-to-bumper like the 3/100K at Lexus.

I can't really say if 3/100K is really worth it or not, but it is a good "insurance" for if anything major does happen.
Old 08-25-08, 12:29 AM
Carmelstev
Rookie

I just went through a similar thought process. I ended up looking at and driving around a dozen cars, both CPO's and at private dealers. I ended up buying from a private dealer about 2 months ago and my 05 LS430 has been flawless. A few things I found out:
1-there are a ton of 05 LS's coming off lease and this is a great time to buy.
2-Make sure you run both a Carfax AND an Autocheck, especially if the car went to auction. Carfax is not connected to Mecham auction, who is the main auction house, at least on the west coast. Mechum will report Unibody damage if they know about it, and it will show up on Autocheck. Some unscrupulous dealers will search these out because they know most people only check Carfax, if anything at all.
3-Once you narrow it down, a good Lexus service rep can give you a printout of the Lexus service done. Lexus vehicles are probably the best-maintained vehicles out there, with the possible exception of the few that provide free service like BMW(of course BMW's and other European cars are so much less dependable than Lexus that it's in their best interest to do this).
4-You can buy very good 3rd party warranty insurance. Just make sure it's from a reputable and major company. The one I bought is accepted by every Lexus dealer (I checked with half a dozen dealers before buying and they all said they take it all the time without any problems). And $2800 is WAYYY too high. I paid $1500 for 5 year/100,00 mile total bumper to bumper including all electronics and navigation. Dealers generally mark these up at least 100% over what they pay, so deal on this. My dealer showed me that he pays about $1200 for this warranty, and was originally asking $2300. He still made a tidy $300.
5-Make sure you are absolutely happy with the car and don't be afraid to walk away. As I said, I looked at a bunch and almost settled for cars just to get the process over with. I literally spent all my free time for a couple of weeks to find the right car, but it has been worth it. There are so many LS's out there right now, you'll find your perfect car if you look hard enough. Good Luck.

Steve
Old 08-28-08, 08:24 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dudes, i am going through this process too (well all online thus far), and if i can sell my 2gs this weekend i have the ls430 in mind that i'm gonna pick up.. i am just trying to confirm that for 1 my current dd (daily driver) sells and second that the ls430 i have in mind is in fact the ultimate package that the dealer claims... thanks for the info on the extended warranties though.
Old 08-29-08, 08:19 AM
AlexusAnja

Yeah, I actually thought $2800 wasn't bad, but if it's really $1500, that's even better.
LS are flooding the market, as are 7 and S classes, so it's a good time for those interested in getting a top-end luxo vehicle. Prices are falling too... look out for chicken little.
Old 08-29-08, 11:12 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u don't really need extended warranty on these ls430 ucf30's.

they are very reliable. You forking out 2000 dollars for extended warranty is a suckers bet. U will lose. Only 1 out of 10 ls430's will be problematic if at all.
Old 08-29-08, 01:05 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Bets

Originally Posted by mikemareen
u don't really need extended warranty on these ls430 ucf30's.

they are very reliable. You forking out 2000 dollars for extended warranty is a suckers bet. U will lose. Only 1 out of 10 ls430's will be problematic if at all.
??? 1 out of 10 ??? those are not very good odds. That's 10%, so if I put you into a room with nine other people and say one of you will have a stroke and die of a massive heart attack, you would not get insurance?

Honestly, I would think the odds of an LS430 being problematic to require over $2000 of repairs before 100,000 is probably 1 in 1000. Extended warranty is just that, insurance so that if something catastrophic does occur, we're covered. No one expects a tree to fall on their house, but you insure against it right?
Old 08-29-08, 03:27 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

are u on crack? so even 1 outta 1000 is not enough odds ?

UNbelievable

forget it, just get the insurance.

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
??? 1 out of 10 ??? those are not very good odds. That's 10%, so if I put you into a room with nine other people and say one of you will have a stroke and die of a massive heart attack, you would not get insurance?

Honestly, I would think the odds of an LS430 being problematic to require over $2000 of repairs before 100,000 is probably 1 in 1000. Extended warranty is just that, insurance so that if something catastrophic does occur, we're covered. No one expects a tree to fall on their house, but you insure against it right?
Old 08-29-08, 07:02 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

knock on wood but i think i'll take those odds..
Old 08-29-08, 08:40 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Whobaah?

Originally Posted by mikemareen
are u on crack? so even 1 outta 1000 is not enough odds ?

UNbelievable

forget it, just get the insurance.
No, but do you know any good, cheap, dealers in the north east?

Look, you probably never had a car break on you, or never something major go wrong. Look at my footer, I have a GS-R that with 225K now is still running strong (manual), I had a Civic which I sold at 210K in mechanically excellent condition and finally got sold by the person I sold it to at 280k to someone in W. Africa. From this, I should never get away from Honda products, but look at my '98 Accord. 110K the transmission blew on me, 98K the EGR valve and exhaust manifold clogged up, and I got hit with a $2K+ rebuild. What do I do with that? I guess just chuck it up to "bad luck" then...
Old 08-29-08, 10:57 PM
Carmelstev
Rookie

The entire point of any kind of insurance is to reduce potential loss (which by definition the insurance is) to a point that it is affordable. One thing that strikes me is the phenomenal complexity of the LS. From the headlight levelers to the trunk closer, this car has more motors, solenoids, and sensors than just about any car out there. Another thing that is striking about Lexus is how expensive parts and labor is on them. Having formally been a supplier to Lexus dealerships, I know how expensive these things are to repair. Many a time, as I was invoicing a dealer at the parts counter, they were giving a bill to a customer for several thousand dollars. On the other hand, Lexus is phenomenally dependable. I have every confidence that the powertrain will not likely fail in the first 100k miles, however I am less confident that one of these electronic components will not fail. It will only take one of the major components to fail for me to break even on the $1500. On the other hand if I have zero defects in the 5 years/100,000 miles, I'll be a really happy owner. Either way, I come out in good shape.
Steve
Old 08-30-08, 06:41 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

you do pose a good argument steve... still not a clear cut weiner in my opinion...

Old 08-30-08, 09:30 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

u are correct if we were talking about a mercedes, but this is a lexus here.

it's really simple common sense, there is a reason why DEALERS love to push warranties, it's a SUCKER bet.

u can spend 2500 for warranty up front, or u can spend 2500 for repair if something goes wrong. Either way, your out 2500 dollars.

why would u want to burn the 2500 dollars on warranty when u can use the same money on repairs of something ever does happen. Either way your out 2500 bucks.

and chances are, nothing will happen so you save 2500 from the get go!

and ya a repair job can cost more or less than 2500 dollars, and I can get struck by lightning, or get ran over by a bus....get the drift ? we are all grown men here and smart enough to own a ls430, I really don't feel like explaining simple common sense.

Originally Posted by Carmelstev
The entire point of any kind of insurance is to reduce potential loss (which by definition the insurance is) to a point that it is affordable. One thing that strikes me is the phenomenal complexity of the LS. From the headlight levelers to the trunk closer, this car has more motors, solenoids, and sensors than just about any car out there. Another thing that is striking about Lexus is how expensive parts and labor is on them. Having formally been a supplier to Lexus dealerships, I know how expensive these things are to repair. Many a time, as I was invoicing a dealer at the parts counter, they were giving a bill to a customer for several thousand dollars. On the other hand, Lexus is phenomenally dependable. I have every confidence that the powertrain will not likely fail in the first 100k miles, however I am less confident that one of these electronic components will not fail. It will only take one of the major components to fail for me to break even on the $1500. On the other hand if I have zero defects in the 5 years/100,000 miles, I'll be a really happy owner. Either way, I come out in good shape.
Steve

Last edited by mikemareen; 08-30-08 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: prospective ls430 buyer