LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Repair Manuals - No Info on Radio removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 06:02 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Repair Manuals - No Info on Radio removal

I just received the 3 OEM Manuals, Vol 1 and 2 and the Electrical. Vol 1 does a good job on diagnostics, Vol 2 has more diagnostics and repair info on the vehicle overall. The term radio or stereo is not listed in the index but there is a page on diagnostics for the radio and player. The electrical diagrams do a nice job of showing the connections and wiring for the radio.

I have saved some threads on this site that deal with radio removal offering step by step instructions on removing the trim panels etc. BUT does anyone know what Lexus techs use as a guide for removing the radio units that they replace when CD's get stuck in the player? My dealer says for a few hundred bucks they replace radios and the parts dept says they charge the customer $770. for a new radio/player. The CD player is mounted on the radio and is not sold separately.

I watched a stereo shop once remove and replace my radio with a stuck CD saying they would have to send the radio out leaving me with no A/C or heating controls. It seemed easy, but if you look at the trim, there is no clue as to where one starts with a flat blade screwdriver. Hmm, does this discourage radio thieves?

I am considering a do-it-yourself project: Either replace the radio or install the VAIS kit and go the IPOD route. That is if I can't get the player working once I get it out and on the bench. Meanwhile, the ML radio sounds great, but no CD playing. Three disks loaded, none will reject. The 4th shows it is empty and but refuses to open the door. Probably a good thing, I don't need to store another non playable CD in the unit.

Old 08-08-08, 02:53 AM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here you go man a step by step to removing head unit (first step is to leave business card trey open and stick your finger in there to pry out the bottom piece good luck)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288777

what year is your car on the years 2001 -2003 there is a 3rd bolt in the middle underneath the business card trey that pops out