LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help! Pcs Check System Cruise Check System Errors!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 09:17 PM
poopsnack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the TSB specifically states the 05-06 models. I believe they didn't start adding the PCS until later in the 04 models anyway, so it's possible it's the radar computer. Good luck! Mine is going in this week.
Old 03-29-10, 08:36 AM
js0873
Driver School Candidate

I looked it up and believe you're right. PCS wasn't available until January of 2004, so many 2004 models might not have had the option for it. If Lexus has a problem applying the TSB to my vehicle it seems like it will be for 3 things:

1) The TSB says 2005-2006 and mine's a 2004 (but I'll contend that maybe they simply didn't include 2004 since it was a mid-year model change).

2) The verbiage states that the message "Check PCS" comes up, according to what someone posted from the TSB, while mine says "PCS Not Available". Maybe the message was changed in 2005-2006. Anyone know?

3) The TSB references the fact that "Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) B2056 and P1572 may also be stored." Mine never seems to post any diagnostic codes according to the dealership, but then again the TSB doesn't say it will definitely post them, only that it might.

It would obviously help me if I had the exact TSB description when Lexus CC calls me back this week. Can that be posted or sent via PM? Although it's not a 100% match, it's awfully close, and this TSB seems to address the problem I've always had with my system.
Old 03-29-10, 09:20 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I posted the TSB at this link.

http://damondougherty.blogspot.com/2...check-pcs.html

Please leave your name/contact information to track who's had problems.
Old 03-29-10, 09:42 AM
js0873
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a bunch. I'm sure I'll get resistance based on the model year and the message verbiage "Check PCS" vs. "PCS Not Available" but I guess we'll see. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-10, 01:57 PM
js0873
Driver School Candidate

Well, the latest I've gotten from Lexus Customer Care is that when a TSB says 2005-2006, it simply wouldn't apply to 2004 because they don't make mistakes like that in their TSBs, even if it was a mid-year model change in 2004.

In short, they don't have anything telling them that this is my problem. Maybe someone with search capability in the TSB database could find one for me applying to 2004.

Or does anyone else have any suggestions for me on how to go about getting Lexus to stand behind this?
Old 04-12-10, 02:36 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

JS0873:

a) When they say model years , they are sure of what they are saying. When a model year is split, they base the TSB on VIN numbers, not model year.

b) You say your car is "certified" and still in coverage?
If so, why do you pursue a TSB action: I would expect you to be covered under the CPO Warranty ?! ( Saying so since mine was covered under my Platinum Warranty purchased from Lexus; just presuming CPO would be as good a blanket.)
Old 04-13-10, 10:12 AM
js0873
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nc356
JS0873:

a) When they say model years , they are sure of what they are saying. When a model year is split, they base the TSB on VIN numbers, not model year.

b) You say your car is "certified" and still in coverage?
If so, why do you pursue a TSB action: I would expect you to be covered under the CPO Warranty ?! ( Saying so since mine was covered under my Platinum Warranty purchased from Lexus; just presuming CPO would be as good a blanket.)
Okay, please help me out here, since I'm confused about TSBs in relation to my CPO warranty. I thought TSBs simply document known problems for Lexus cars, as well as possibly other things. Warranties may or may not cover those issues documented in the TSBs, depending on the warranty. If that's true, I don't understand the comment that I shouldn't be pursuing a TSB action, that I should be covered under the CPO warranty.

I guess I'm stuck at this point because the dealership can't reproduce the problem, and I doubt they ever will if they don't take the car on a 100+ mile drive using cruise control They say that the TSB doesn't apply, which I originally thought might help document my issue without them actually reproducing the problem. But they say it's not for my model year and the problem there is for "Check PCS", not "PCS Not Available". So they've left it with they can do nothing for me until they can see the problem first-hand. I guess I can understand that, but I'm totally frustrated. Any other ideas or suggestions here would be welcomed.
Old 04-13-10, 01:43 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Face it: the TSB applies to later cars, so forget about that. You have a warranty issue.
TSB's are not recalls. They address common problems. Their application is up to the dealer; sometimes your dealer will tell you about TSB's without you asking; other times, they might tell you about a TSB if you have a complaint. The most proactive approach is that of car lovers silly enough to hang around sites like this. But be aware, too much reading of TSB's and your car will start to develop symptoms to suit what you have just read (sort of like the horror that results when a pharmacy gives my 90 year old MIL the insert sheet that discusses side effects of her medicines). Most dealers are happy to do any TSB work; it generates goodwill, and they get paid for it, at a modest rate, by Toyota.

My experience is that "PCS Not Available" means dirt on the radar cover or on the clear grille lens. Surely that's not your issue. I have had that message more than once, and cleaning the 2 pieces (usually bugs on the lens) clears it up. I also get the message in very heavy rain; just as the owner's manual describes.

It's tough when a symptom can't be reproduced; you're at the mercy of your dealer. Whether he's competent or not can be very hard to judge (I finally realized mine isn't, and the nearby Toyota dealer is: they're now doing more Lexus work than our dealer.) Faced with such an impasse, I usually do two things, in no particular order: I try another dealer, and I communicate with Lexus directly. That's all I can offer. Best of luck.
Old 05-18-10, 09:28 PM
knkmoat
Driver School Candidate

Default Yet another scenario

Hi. We have a 2005 LS 430 UL with PCS and suddenly had the same display warnings, and the loss of the radar dynamic cruise. We reviewed the forum, secured the TSIB and just to be sure took it to our local dealer for diagnostics. They confirmed the speed control computer but wanted 16% over MSRP for the part (seriously). Their parts department would not "negotiate" so we got the part from a dealer in another state and took it to our dealer to install. They called and said the computer did not do it and it needs a sensor assembly (quoted $1,505.00, again way over MSRP). I am wondering if anyone has had this problem, I am concerned about their ability to properly diagnose this problem and I feel like they may be "learning" on me. There are no other Lexus dealers in the area.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-16-10, 04:55 AM
MGa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just changed The Dynamic Radar cruise ECU part # 88240-50151 on my fathers LS430 2005 UL and it still isn't working!
Now it's saying also "check cruise control" and the "check PCS"
How can I reset the fault codes or do I just have to take it to a dealer to get ripped of ?
I tried to save a few bucks by changing the part myself but now I'm stuck
Old 11-16-10, 08:56 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MGa
Just changed The Dynamic Radar cruise ECU part # 88240-50151 on my fathers LS430 2005 UL and it still isn't working!
Now it's saying also "check cruise control" and the "check PCS"
How can I reset the fault codes or do I just have to take it to a dealer to get ripped of ?
I tried to save a few bucks by changing the part myself but now I'm stuck
I heard from somewhere or someone that after the ECU is swapped out, the system needs to be calibrated, I am guessing there is a procedure you have to go thru.

Now I am not 100% on this, just thought I would point it out. But it does sounds like that might be what you need to do.
Old 11-16-10, 10:15 AM
MGa
Rookie

Originally Posted by BNR34
I heard from somewhere or someone that after the ECU is swapped out, the system needs to be calibrated, I am guessing there is a procedure you have to go thru.

Now I am not 100% on this, just thought I would point it out. But it does sounds like that might be what you need to do.
Oh yes forgod to mention I did that also.
It went like this:
A. Turn ignition switch to the "ON" position
B. Push cruise control main switch to "ON"
C. Press the brake pedal and keep it pressed an hit "RESUME" 3times within 3seconds. Check that the VSC buzzer sounds at this time.

Do not turn the headlight switch ON at this time.

I heard the Beeping and then it showed me two different degree angles one was zero and other one was some small number.

But the red warning light didn't go away and the error text was still there...
Old 11-16-10, 12:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MGa
Oh yes forgod to mention I did that also.
It went like this:
A. Turn ignition switch to the "ON" position
B. Push cruise control main switch to "ON"
C. Press the brake pedal and keep it pressed an hit "RESUME" 3times within 3seconds. Check that the VSC buzzer sounds at this time.

Do not turn the headlight switch ON at this time.

I heard the Beeping and then it showed me two different degree angles one was zero and other one was some small number.

But the red warning light didn't go away and the error text was still there...
Maybe you are missing a step or something like that. I am sure the dealer won't charge you much for calibrating it.

How did you find that procedure?
Old 11-16-10, 12:28 PM
MGa
Rookie

I'm pretty shure I did it right beacause i heard the beep.
It was in the Technical Service Bulletin from Lexus with all the info on how to replace the crappy Denso Distance Control Computer...
Old 11-16-10, 01:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MGa
I'm pretty shure I did it right beacause i heard the beep.
It was in the Technical Service Bulletin from Lexus with all the info on how to replace the crappy Denso Distance Control Computer...
Don't know what to tell you since I have never done it, I just know those kind of procedures are tricky, if you miss a tiny little step or done something just a little wrong, it won't work. I have done stuff like that many times and it is very frustrating.

If I am you, since you got the offical correct instructions, read the instructions very carefully and keep trying it very carefully. It will work eventually.

When I programmed the keys to our GS and SC, I had to keep doing the same steps over and over for like 10~15 times before I got it right, it drives me nuts!

But when it finally work, it feels like winning the lotto

Quick Reply: Help! Pcs Check System Cruise Check System Errors!