LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Extended warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 01:55 PM
biga27110
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty question

My 100k mile 7 year warranty is up, is there anyway i can purchase more warranty to extend it another 2 years and how much would that cost and where would i buy it?
Old 08-04-08, 01:39 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Once you pass 100K, you cannot purchase anymore factory warranty. But without telling us what year, and how many miles, thats all i can tell you.
Old 08-04-08, 04:16 PM
biga27110
Rookie

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Once you pass 100K, you cannot purchase anymore factory warranty. But without telling us what year, and how many miles, thats all i can tell you.

its a 2002 and it has 79k miles. Isnt there any 3rd party that will warranty beyond 100k?
Old 08-05-08, 01:18 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by biga27110
its a 2002 and it has 79k miles. Isnt there any 3rd party that will warranty beyond 100k?
You MIGHT be able to get a factory warranty since you are under 100K, but i am not sure.

I don't know of any companies that provide warranties past the 100K mark. Which kinda makes sense, because at that point, the car will require more work then its worth most of the time. Or at least the risk increases tremendously.
Old 08-05-08, 06:12 PM
biga27110
Rookie

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
You MIGHT be able to get a factory warranty since you are under 100K, but i am not sure.

I don't know of any companies that provide warranties past the 100K mark. Which kinda makes sense, because at that point, the car will require more work then its worth most of the time. Or at least the risk increases tremendously.

interesting, i would think it would be based on previous records of the car. Its been really good all 80k miles the only thing that stopped working was the passenger side folding mirror which was replaced by warranty. But you really dont need your mirrors to fold in and out lol.
Old 08-05-08, 06:21 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 2001 LS430 with about 86,000 miles
since my dad is the owner they called him and said that i would be able to purchase a warantee i think till 100,000 miles for just $3,000
Old 08-06-08, 06:10 PM
rcpeters
Driver

I have Western General, full coverage (not bumper to bumper) good until 123K miles, I bought it at 63K miles, good for 48 months and 60K miles at a cost of $2586. That was a year ago and no claims yet. Navigation and radio are not covered.

Old 08-06-08, 07:51 PM
biga27110
Rookie

thanks for the input guys
Old 08-07-08, 09:27 AM
j4x0n
Rookie

wow. that's really helpful!! i have a 2001 LS430 with only about 50k miles. HAHA. i think i mite just get that extended warranty!!! =P
Old 08-07-08, 04:47 PM
gr8484
Driver School Candidate

you won't find factory coverage after 100,000 miles. I was trying to get coverage for my car with 110,000 miles and did alot of research.. companies are basically just offering powertrain... check out warrantiesgonewild.com there is alot of good research reading..... GL
Old 08-07-08, 10:06 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

NOTE: once your factory 4year/50K miles runs out, you cannot purchase the extended warranty.
Old 08-14-08, 08:37 AM
Kaiserseal
Driver School Candidate

You gotta love these boards to save some cash. Just bought my 06 Yesterday, and used Toby to get the factory Warranty.

Not to worry those of you who went through third parties, but I purchased one called Warranty Gold on an Expedition, a company that had been in business for ten years, and they went belly up, six months into my contract.

Toby beat my local Lexus dealer by about a third, and made it pretty painless, I just gave him the basic info, he did the applicaiton for me, and I am good until 2012.

I am hoping I never need the coverage, I have been going through this board for a few days, and see very few complaints about repairs. I figured, this is worth it, just to sleep well at night. Here is the contact info for anyone who needs it.

Toby Rivers
Lexus of Shreveport
800-335-3987
tobytoyota@aol.com
Old 08-17-08, 12:49 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow. Has anyone here considered self-insurance? We don't drive BMWs or Mercedes. We drive Lexus and the LS to boot. When I brought my 98 with 3 years/100k mile warranty I paid an extra $2200. Back then I thought I was getting a deal. Until my warranty expired and the only claim I had was a $180 dollar tie rod end replacement. I think the whole thing would have cost me $400+ if I had to pay it outta pocket. Long story short, my warranty ended long before I ever had any problems with my LS. I have since sold it to a coworker with 135k miles and it is still going strong with no problems. So I ask all of you, why not open a mutual fund or cd for your hard earned $2k+ for warranty (or give it to me and I'll cover you for 100k miles) and earn some interest on your money. It is highly unlikely that you will ever use your warranty and if you do I am willing to bet dollars to doughnuts you won't have a repair bill anywhere near your warranty premium.
Currently I have a 06 LS CL and a 03 GS430. The LS is still under factory and the GS is not. Any problems with the GS and I will pay for it outta pocket. So far at 81k miles I only had a wind noise issue (after the factory warranty expired) which cost me all of $180 to fix at my local dealership. Now I know some of you Ultra owners with your active suspension are concerned. However, the struts are approximately $1k each and install may add an additional 3 or 4 hundred dollars. So you would have to have 3 out of 4 struts fail before you surpassed your warranty premium. What are the chances of that happening? Even if it did, the mileage your vehicle would be at when that happened would probably be prohibitive in itself for warranty coverage. So I ask all CL members, would you consider self-insurance? Some of the best things about self-insurance is: 1) no vehicle mileage or age limit, 2) it is automatically transferred to your new vehicle (regardless of make or model), 3) no limit on how many vehicles that can be covered, 4) no paperwork, 5) no need to get pre-authorization for any claims, 6) you earn interest on your premiums. These benefits are just to name a few. Think about it!!!!!
Old 08-18-08, 02:50 PM
sexalexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gr8484
you won't find factory coverage after 100,000 miles. I was trying to get coverage for my car with 110,000 miles and did alot of research.. companies are basically just offering powertrain... check out warrantiesgonewild.com there is alot of good research reading..... GL
This site advocates what some are saying about self insurance... you need to see what kind of car you drive, the average repairs, and weigh it against the cost of a warranty. For us lexus drivers, coverage might just cost to much compared to the realistic cost of maintenance and upkeep.
Old 08-18-08, 03:53 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by mtaalib3
Wow. Has anyone here considered self-insurance? We don't drive BMWs or Mercedes. We drive Lexus and the LS to boot. When I brought my 98 with 3 years/100k mile warranty I paid an extra $2200. Back then I thought I was getting a deal. Until my warranty expired and the only claim I had was a $180 dollar tie rod end replacement. I think the whole thing would have cost me $400+ if I had to pay it outta pocket. Long story short, my warranty ended long before I ever had any problems with my LS. I have since sold it to a coworker with 135k miles and it is still going strong with no problems. So I ask all of you, why not open a mutual fund or cd for your hard earned $2k+ for warranty (or give it to me and I'll cover you for 100k miles) and earn some interest on your money. It is highly unlikely that you will ever use your warranty and if you do I am willing to bet dollars to doughnuts you won't have a repair bill anywhere near your warranty premium.
Currently I have a 06 LS CL and a 03 GS430. The LS is still under factory and the GS is not. Any problems with the GS and I will pay for it outta pocket. So far at 81k miles I only had a wind noise issue (after the factory warranty expired) which cost me all of $180 to fix at my local dealership. Now I know some of you Ultra owners with your active suspension are concerned. However, the struts are approximately $1k each and install may add an additional 3 or 4 hundred dollars. So you would have to have 3 out of 4 struts fail before you surpassed your warranty premium. What are the chances of that happening? Even if it did, the mileage your vehicle would be at when that happened would probably be prohibitive in itself for warranty coverage. So I ask all CL members, would you consider self-insurance? Some of the best things about self-insurance is: 1) no vehicle mileage or age limit, 2) it is automatically transferred to your new vehicle (regardless of make or model), 3) no limit on how many vehicles that can be covered, 4) no paperwork, 5) no need to get pre-authorization for any claims, 6) you earn interest on your premiums. These benefits are just to name a few. Think about it!!!!!
Front Armrest broke - $750 bucs so far.

So what happens when the front two front or rear struts go out? how about rear massage or AC/heated seats?

What will you do with the LASER cruise when it goes out? (its $6K from the dealer)

I think i made a good investment purchasing the platinum Lexus warranty to 100K. The Ultra has too many bells and whistles to worry about. You can always get your money back for the unused portion of the premium if you sell before the warranty runs out.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty question