LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

ls 430 vs acura?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 10:23 PM
David M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls 430 vs acura?

Does anyone have a link to a meaty discussion or review of the ls 430 versus an acura? Have always liked Acura's and have owned 2. Never owned a Lexus but it looks like my next car if I can ever find one!

Searches are rather difficult. Guess I don't have the right keywords.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-08, 11:23 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Which acura are you thinking of?
It's probably easier if you go to acurazine.com and read on the specific vehicle

Have you test driven an LS yet?

What are you expecting from each of the cars?
Old 08-02-08, 12:35 AM
David M
Driver

Whichever is the top of the line now, equivalent to the LS 430/460? I guess that is the RL?
Yes.
Reliability, safety, comfortable ride, and at least some toys to make trips more bearable. GPS is as necessary as gas now, but I have a portable one. Good mileage is essential, too.
Thanks for the link, too.
Old 08-02-08, 01:06 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Ive driven both. But in my opinion the RL doesnt come close to the LS. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-08, 02:05 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RL is to GS.
There is no Acura vision can match LS. For now.

I only like NSX from Acura.
Old 08-02-08, 06:56 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when we bought the 2005 I looked at Acura and compared,, since I am 6'4" tall the Acura was an instant problem with fit and getting comfortable,, did not test drive,, as soon as I sat in the LS the selection process was over,,

I take care of my sister in-laws Acura (oil changes and filters) and after looking at many items and comparing how they do it I still feel the LS is running first,,

Derry
Old 08-02-08, 09:10 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by David M
Whichever is the top of the line now, equivalent to the LS 430/460? I guess that is the RL?
Yes.
Reliability, safety, comfortable ride, and at least some toys to make trips more bearable. GPS is as necessary as gas now, but I have a portable one. Good mileage is essential, too.
Thanks for the link, too.
safety = check
good mpg = check
Reliability = double check
comfortable ride =triple check
At least some toys to make trips more bearable=Ultra luxury, but make sure you're the rear seat passenger

Yes, the RL is acura's flagship, pretty sad if you ask me. I'll probably take it over an avalon/ES 350, but not over an LS
Old 08-02-08, 10:18 AM
LEX012006
Driver

I agree with GS3tek, as Acura's flagship vehicle, it is pretty sad. The RL is no match for an LS. I used to work for an Acura and have driven every car in the line up. They can not compete with Lexus. They are nice, but no comparison.
Old 08-02-08, 10:38 AM
icantsee
Driver

Lexus!!

We've use to have Hondas, brother still has one.

And some of my closets friends have Acuras...but it's no comparison to Toyota/Lexus.

Acura RL has SH-AWD, but the engine is pointed at a FWD Layout.

That's only one!!

And I don't think Honda/Acura has fixed their V6 5spd Automatic Transmission yet.

2003 Acura TL-S...my god it's so chitty.

My friend that use to work at Acura of Serramonte has a 2003 Acura TL-S (White on Black) w/ Navi. Extremely rare!!

He hates his car. Depreciated $10,000 within one year. He tried to sell it last year, but no luck.
Old 08-02-08, 04:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Lexus is one whole higher league then Acura, there are no comparison. And Acura don't even pretend to be Lexus's competitor, their products offer less with a lower price.

I just test drove the brand new for 09' Acura TSX, the whole drivetrain is rougher then our 01' ES300 that is 8 years older

Acura's top of the line RL offer the same level of equipment as Lexus GS350 with the same price.

The only thing Acura cars has that Lexus don't, are slightly more advance electronics, the TSX got real time traffic report, the ES350 don't. And in general Acuras are more sporty compare to Lexus products.

Like everyone mention, Acura don't offer anything that is remotely comparable to a Lexus LS.

Oh and the V6 equipped 09' RL, has worse gas mileage then my older 05' LS430 with a bigger V8 with much more torque. It is mainly due to the SH-AWD, but in my opinion the RL don't have enough power to need AWD.
Old 08-02-08, 06:56 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus

Originally Posted by David M
Does anyone have a link to a meaty discussion or review of the ls 430 versus an acura? Have always liked Acura's and have owned 2. Never owned a Lexus but it looks like my next car if I can ever find one!

Searches are rather difficult. Guess I don't have the right keywords.

Thanks.
L(uxury)exus
A(lso ran)cura
Old 07-20-09, 07:45 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been looking for a "reliable" used luxury car for the last several months. I've owned the LS430 UL and really liked the features in that car... However, it's very hard to find any ULs (2005-2006). I think production of that package went very low in the last few years of that model.

The limited availability has led me to consider other cars. Namely the 2005-2007 Acura RL. Without doing an exhaustive comparison, I'll just point out a few reasons why this car is a contender (in my opinion). HP in the Acura's V6 (290) is actually better than the Lexus V8 (278). Bose sound in Acura is very good. ML sucks. Everyone here will agree to that. Both cars have real wood and leather abound. Acura seats are more sporty and supportive, but Lexus feels more comfy (sofa-like). Side shades and rear sun shade are in both cars. Parking assist, radar cruise in both, Nav in both (Acura's has a more modern-looking map, but Lexus is touch screen and a little easier), LS430 has more interior room (feels like ALOT more), Acura's ride is stiffer and more sporty, gas mileage is about the same, depreciation is similar, safety is similar, warranty is same, prestige... not even close, Lexus takes that one.

For me... it comes down to a few things. Reliability, performance, price, and features. I cannot find the LS430 UL I'm looking for, so the Acura is next on the list. It IS a different car, but has enough features to meet my needs. Would a V8 make the RL better? probably not. Would more room (particularly in the back) and rear seat features seal the deal. Absolutely.

As stated earlier, rl.Acurazine.com is a great place to learn more about the RL.

Cheers.
Old 07-20-09, 09:14 AM
AlexusAnja

Default HP is not the full story...

Originally Posted by DDLexus
... comparison, I'll just point out a few reasons why this car is a contender (in my opinion). HP in the Acura's V6 (290) is actually better than the Lexus V8 (278). Bose sound in Acura is very good. ML sucks. Everyone here will agree to that...
HP doesn't mean much, if you don't have the torque to back it up. With 12 less HP, the LS430 produces 64 extra ft*lb of torque compared to the RL. This means the RL has to work much harder to get to where the LS430 is cruising already. There's no comparing a 6 to an 8 (discounting turbo charging) in normal form.

As for sound, I've not heard the system in the RL, but the TL I was not that impressed and would say comparable to the ML, no better that's going to get "everyone" to agree. With this said, I don't think the ML is that good.
Old 07-20-09, 10:02 AM
Lawrenzo
Driver School Candidate

There is no ACURA equivelent to the LS430. Period.

If you want extra creature comforts for the road trips, find a Ultra Luxury packaged LS.

When I was considering my options for a new car, spending the amount of money that I would be spending for a BRAND NEW entry level luxury car still didn't make sense to buying a slightly used full blown sized luxury sedan. The reliability of the car is good. You can still find UL's under 50k miles for around the same price as you would a new car that would not outweight the LS in overall satisfaction. Reliability is good, but try to find one that has less than 50k miles so that it is still under warranty, then purchase the extended platinum warranty.

Only other cars you should be comparing to the LS is a Mercedez S, BMW 7, Audi A8, Infiniti Q/M, etc.

Don't get me wrong, ACURA's are nice, but they are not in the same league.
Old 07-20-09, 10:45 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Acu who?

Originally Posted by Lawrenzo
There is no ACURA equivelent to the LS430. Period...

Only other cars you should be comparing to the LS is a Mercedez S, BMW 7, Audi A8, Infiniti Q/M, etc.
I agree with first statement. Acura doesn't currently make a LS fighter. The RL is more up against the GS, which is then a more comparable comparison (with GS350AWD).

Second statement, I would remove the "M" from Infiniti as that's not really a replacement for the defunct "Q." Hey, why no domestics? Cadillac or Lincoln in there?

Quick Reply: ls 430 vs acura?