LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Moonroof Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 08:36 AM
Ears
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Moonroof Question

I have looked at every page of the voluminous manual(s) that came with my recently purchased 2004 LS 430 to determine if the moonroof opens (pops up) if the interior gets too hot. A couple of times this past week, my wife exited her office, headed for lunch, to find the moonroof open (fully tilted/popped up) on her car. She closed it and it was found opened (fully tilted/popped up) again on a another day. It seems the moonroof opens if the interior gets to a certain threshold temperature, as it has not happened ever in the garage, or on any day before this past week (several days in the high 90's and no shade available for her to park this past week).

I am aware of the windows/moonroof opening function upon holding the unlock button on the fob (windows down, moonroof slides back), but this is not what is happening to her car as the windows are up (I verified the fob programming is to slide back the moonroof and open the windows).

If this is an automatic function to help moderate the interior temperature, then will the moonroof close if a rain should occur (think pop-up sudden thunder shower)?

Thanks...

Last edited by Ears; 07-19-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-19-08, 09:36 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have never head of that,, my car has seen 102 degrees in the garage and the roof did not open to assist cooling,,

Derry
Old 07-19-08, 09:48 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never heard of such a feature in any car especially because it would defeat the purpose of having locks on the car or keys for that matter.

Is it fully open? slightly open? halfway open?

Something else is going on. The only time I've have seen the sunroof open slightly without the door windows opening is when u hit the unlock button on the fob (windows down, moonroof slides back) but not long enough for it to open the door windows.
Old 07-19-08, 09:52 AM
Ears
Rookie

My bad... I should have reported it was poped up fully (raised position), not slid back any. I believe the fob function can be programmed for such; however, when one holds the unlock on our car, the moonroof slides back, not pops up.

I should also mention the shade was closed, which would seem to defeat any ventilation possibility?

I seem to recall the bimmer has a feature to close the tilted open moonroof in case of rain...

Last edited by Ears; 07-19-08 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-19-08, 10:06 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmm... interesting. Sounds like a good feature to have to tell you the truth.
Old 07-19-08, 10:16 AM
Ears
Rookie

Yeah, if it is so...
Car is presently sitting in the sun, as I am running an experiment to see if this is a bona fide operation, and verify if moisture hits the sensor, will it close. Shame... sitting out in the sun in front of a perfectly good garage.

I can't imagine any other condition at play here, save some screwy electroinc glitch.
Old 07-19-08, 03:49 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ears
My bad... I should have reported it was poped up fully (raised position), not slid back any. I believe the fob function can be programmed for such; however, when one holds the unlock on our car, the moonroof slides back, not pops up.

I should also mention the shade was closed, which would seem to defeat any ventilation possibility?

I seem to recall the bimmer has a feature to close the tilted open moonroof in case of rain...
Actually, no such feature was added to the LS430... might need to get your sunroof re calibrated, or have it serviced at the dealer if its under warranty.

Another thing, it can be programmed to tilt instead of slide via C-best customized settings when you hold the unlock key. To find a list of other customizable items, check the sticky on top of the page.
Old 07-20-08, 06:01 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSoup
Hmmmm... interesting. Sounds like a good feature to have to tell you the truth.
Not really. If it gets hot enough to pop the sun roof and then there is a heavy rain storm, as it's apt to do in the South, your car will be wet both the outside and the inside.

GT
Old 07-20-08, 08:15 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

well...never heard such a feature ...must have it checked out at the dealer. Gotta admit, does sound like a very good feature....just the rain part will mess things up....good concept though!!
Old 07-20-08, 10:12 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's weird i would definetly take it in to the dealer and have it checked out.
Old 02-25-10, 08:34 AM
clarkmccol
Driver School Candidate

Default Moonroof gone crazy

As an original 2001 Ultra owner, I too have experienced crazy moonroof behavior, to the point I have now pulled the fuse for the moonroof motor to avoid potentially catastrophic behavior. Specifically, the roof spontaneously opens when running, which in Houston, TX with our thunderstorms can be an unpleasant surprise.

I actually experienced two "bouts" of issues with the moonroof. The first was with sporadic switch operation. Sometimes the roof would open spontaneously, but then refuse to close. If you waited and kept trying, eventually it would close. The first time I disconnected the moonroof switch. This worked until I made the mistake of using the key fob to open the windows, which of course opened the roof with no way to close it. So I reconnected the switch, and all worked well for a few months, then the spontaneous opening started again. Only this time, the switch did reliably close it.

With 130,000 miles, and long past my 7 yr/100k warrantee, I opted to close the roof and pull the fuse to the moonroof motor and be done with it. All the windows do open from the fob so I can still ventilate the car on a warm summer's day in Houston.
Old 02-26-10, 04:30 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like a senate investigation is in order!
Old 02-26-10, 06:25 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Any chances the battery remove or replace that need to reset all windows as happen on car like RX?
Old 02-26-10, 09:11 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to remember that there was some car that had this feature. When the interior reached a certain temperature, the sunroof would tilt open to help cool the interior. If the car detected rain (I assume with the rainsense wipers), it would close the sunroof. Does anyone else remember this?
Old 02-26-10, 09:39 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Sounds like a senate investigation is in order!
And a class action lawsuit. LOL