LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Any tip for DIY spark plug change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 03:06 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I do not, but if you have a torque wrench, it's always best of course. I just tighten to a "nice tightness." Never had issues before.
Same here. Used some anti-seizing compound for future changes.
Old 05-21-13, 06:51 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Alive again, I am doign the plugs and autozone is out of the long life plug and has the performance plug. what is the difference any recommednations on either? Plug removal looks pretty strightforward. Is there a gasket at the coil head interface which is ever in question? Thanks
Old 05-21-13, 08:26 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

The manual says to replace at 120k miles... so at 140k it was past time for mine.
I got the iridium NGK plugs from O-Reillys... I don't use Autozone for anything...(personal preference)

Just replaced them on a 2001 model... No problems and pretty straightforward. The driver's side is easier than the passenger due to removing the air intake plastics/box on that side that blocks the access on the passenger side as well as the tighter access to the rear plugs due to the battery.

There is one 10mm bolt on each coil pack on top of each plug. Remove this, then pull the coil pack straight off. The nice design in Lexus is that there is a spring inside the wire that makes contact with the plug and not the old-fashioned circle connector that you'd have to push on to the spark plug tip and then pop off when removing. Ruined many wires due to that poor design. This design is much easier to work with, imho.

And yes, there is a rubber seal at the coil pack.

You may find it easier and less difficult to go ahead and remove the connector from the coil pack prior to loosening the bolt. This allows much more free movement of the coil pack and puts zero strain on the wires/harness. Some plugs will have to use this procedure as there is not enough slack in the wire. I found the best way to do this was to used a curved needle nosed pliers to gently squeeze the plug clip while using a straight screwdriver to gently separate the clip from the base, alternating from one side to the next. You can easily tell when it separates and you can pull it off.

The plugs on the passenger side are tight towards the back where the battery is in the way. A universal joint might be necessary. Have some different size extensions available to be flexible. I found that an old spark plug wire from a Honda was useful in the final removal of the old plug as well as insertion of the new plug. Especially since my plug socket is missing the foam/rubber insert and is essentially just a socket. Happens after 30 years.

In the passenger side I could not slide the socket with the extension into the tube due to the battery and the angle needed. So I'd drop the socket in, then hook up the extension and remove or tighten, then use a claw removal tool ( you know the extension claw)... slide that into the socket, expand the claw and pull out. Pretty simple.
I hand tighten to feel and added a small amount of anti-seize lubricant.

Fairly east do it yourself project...providing nothing breaks... Good luck.
Old 05-21-13, 12:56 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks sounds pretty straight forward. Anyone have any input on the 2 diferent plugs long life versus performance?
Old 05-21-13, 02:36 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Thanks sounds pretty straight forward. Anyone have any input on the 2 diferent plugs long life versus performance?
stick with the oem plugs.
Old 05-24-13, 12:22 PM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Antiseize

I know I am stating the obvious, but I did not see it in the chain about using an anti-seize compound when installing new plugs.
Old 05-24-13, 12:32 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks! Happy Holidays!
Old 05-26-13, 06:30 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

They didn't have any on when I pulled the originals after 140k miles... So probably would be safe. But does not hurt to put a little bit on...IMHO
Old 05-26-13, 11:19 PM
Kram
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spark plugs on your lexus shoud be replaced at 120,000.0 miles and since you have coils you have no wirers to replace but if you have wirers this is a good tome to do them ,plus this is the time to do the timeing belt -pump-tensioners-hoses-and belts.One thing that no one has said ,you need to use anti sieze compound on the plug threads I do all the threads very lightly and do NOT get any on the elexteold ,use a small paint brush like you use for painting pictures.one more thing take care when you remove hoses off plastic tubes if you break the plastic tub this repair could cost you alot.ALso it does help to use a hose that fits tight on the plug and take your time to slowly start the plug and DO NOT use a wrench until the plug is all the way setted at this time take the wrench and lightly snog the plug then turn the wench 1 quarter to 1 half turn max this is in the lexus book.One more thing ,if you need to do all the other things an it is out of your experties have some one with the knowlege do this repair.you well thank me lateter.GOOD LUCK.KRAM
Old 05-27-13, 03:14 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thank you, to add the Performance Plugs are 30k plugs, go OEM.
Old 03-25-14, 06:05 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I see that owners are changing the original plugs way past the recommended 120,000 miles. My car purrs like a kitten and runs extremely smooth. I currently have 113,000 miles. If the engine does not have any issues, I'm wondering how many miles an owner can actually get out of them?
Old 03-25-14, 06:32 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

To get reduced mileage, use non-OEM plugs!
Old 03-26-14, 07:12 PM
willikenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone wanted to know i purchased my LS with 75K on it and now has 240k and still purring and getting 23mpg on hwy without changing the spark plugs. I plan on changing them within the next week or so but the car is running strong and smooth. Gonna see how many miles i can get on her.
Old 03-26-14, 07:38 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by willikenn
If someone wanted to know i purchased my LS with 75K on it and now has 240k and still purring and getting 23mpg on hwy without changing the spark plugs. I plan on changing them within the next week or so but the car is running strong and smooth. Gonna see how many miles i can get on her.
What year is your LS430? Can you be sure the plugs were never changed before you got the car? It would be great for you take a picture of the plugs and post them when they are removed. It would be so Informative. What kind of driving do you do? City or Highway? Wow! 240,000 miles on the original plugs!!!!!
Old 03-26-14, 08:06 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
They didn't have any on when I pulled the originals after 140k miles... So probably would be safe. But does not hurt to put a little bit on...IMHO
Talking about anti-seize grease, the plug manufacturers say don't use it (NGK / Denso). Lexus says don't use it. Not sure why people still want to use it. Maybe old habits die hard.

Quick Reply: Any tip for DIY spark plug change?