LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

initial tanabe sustec 5 coilover impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 09:54 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default initial tanabe sustec 5 coilover impressions

WOWSERS this thing takes it pretty freaking low. I can hit 1.5 inch away from tsuraichi at front and can hit 1 inch away from tsuraichi at the back, all this on 19" . All of this dumpage was much more than what I was expecting. I had to raise it up 3/4 inch all around because I didn't get a chance to shave the rears yet.

I only had a chance to drive it briefly for about 10 minutes on "medium" damper settings and it rides pretty good. I have 12K spring rate at front and changed out to 8K at back. Everything feels really good but I haven't had the chance to test the front's strength yet on rough, bumpy roads. It kinda seems like the front could use a higher damper setting / or even a 14K spring rate. Not sure what the bottom out effects will be on moderate pot hole roads. Everything is too early to come to a final conclusion.

I didn't get a chance to drive it much yet because it's still at the shop. So far so good. I'll give more feedback later when get to test it some more.

Last edited by mikemareen; 05-29-08 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-24-08, 08:23 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

What no pictures ?
Old 05-24-08, 11:39 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us posted i'm either gonna get the tanabe's or the teins to go with my SS kit.
Old 05-25-08, 08:33 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

That's cool, sounds like the Tanabes are workin' out for ya!
Old 05-28-08, 10:15 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

OK guys, I finally got the rear fenders shaved and was able to drive the car freely over bumps, humps and everything in between.

Overall I'm very satisfied. It feels strong over bumps and still close to stock ride. Not as stiff as I though it would be compared to motohide's review.

on freeway roller coaster dips, the bounce is definitely more pronounced compared to stock but it feels strong and maintains composure fast and quick. I may try bringing up the damper a bit higher in the front.

the drop is about 2" to 2.5" all around and still have an inch more threaded body left to go lower.

Here is a shot of the drop, more pics on my separate pic thread.

Last edited by mikemareen; 05-28-08 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-29-08, 12:07 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What is tsuraichi?

Again, car looks awesome!
Old 05-29-08, 01:26 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

tsuraichi or however it's spelled, is a japanese term to describe how the fender lip physically touches the edge of the wheel lip.

for me , the closer the fender is to the wheel lip , the better it looks. It would be sweet if the car could be driven daily with the fender kissing the lip, but it's unrealistic in the real world.

Originally Posted by BNR34
What is tsuraichi?

Again, car looks awesome!
Old 05-29-08, 02:30 PM
pete896
Rookie

how much did you pay for your coilover?
Old 05-29-08, 04:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
tsuraichi or however it's spelled, is a japanese term to describe how the fender lip physically touches the edge of the wheel lip.

for me , the closer the fender is to the wheel lip , the better it looks. It would be sweet if the car could be driven daily with the fender kissing the lip, but it's unrealistic in the real world.
Thank you for the explaination
Old 05-31-08, 01:13 PM
SCweet guy
Rookie

nice ride!
Old 06-03-08, 09:27 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

update on the tanabe's, I took a 2nd look at the coilovers and it has another 1.5" of thread for droppage in the front, and another 1" of droppage at the rear.

so it appears that tanabe's drop rating of 2.75" at front and 2.25" at rear are within " normal driving range ".

It's max drop is actually around 3.5" at front and around 3" at rear
Old 06-04-08, 03:50 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

update on the tanabe's, I took a 2nd look at the coilovers and it has another 1.5" of thread for droppage in the front, and another 1" of droppage at the rear.

so it appears that tanabe's drop rating of 2.75" at front and 2.25" at rear are within " normal driving range ".

It's max drop is actually around 3.5" at front and around 3" at rear
Anymore info on the ride quality? you had those babies in for a little while know...did you spring for the T.E.A.S module to go with the coilovers?
Old 06-04-08, 08:35 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

ride is EXCELLENT. I really really like them.

at the height right now, the ride is strong, and firm but still smooth. Make sure to get 8K spring rate at the rear and set it out of the box to the low damper setting at the rear, medium damper at the front. Smoothness will depend on your wheel tire set up.

at my height I don't have to worry about any dips, driveways, etc. I just drive it, for the most part, like a normal car.

I used to have algernon full tap coilovers and these tanabe's are not even close to how stiff and rough the algernon's were.

these sustec pro 5's are sweet, for the price they are a bargain! we are fortunate to be able to easily get these for our LS430 here in the states. They can even go lower to make the VIPcar guy grin and giggle.

and no, no teas . what do u need TEAS for on a LS430. forget it.

Originally Posted by bonafyd
Anymore info on the ride quality? you had those babies in for a little while know...did you spring for the T.E.A.S module to go with the coilovers?

Last edited by mikemareen; 06-04-08 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-15-08, 03:49 AM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ride is EXCELLENT. I really really like them.

at the height right now, the ride is strong, and firm but still smooth. Make sure to get 8K spring rate at the rear and set it out of the box to the low damper setting at the rear, medium damper at the front. Smoothness will depend on your wheel tire set up.

at my height I don't have to worry about any dips, driveways, etc. I just drive it, for the most part, like a normal car.

I used to have algernon full tap coilovers and these tanabe's are not even close to how stiff and rough the algernon's were.

these sustec pro 5's are sweet, for the price they are a bargain! we are fortunate to be able to easily get these for our LS430 here in the states. They can even go lower to make the VIPcar guy grin and giggle.

and no, no teas . what do u need TEAS for on a LS430. forget it.
Your cars stance looks like what I want mines to looks like after putting on rims. I'm going with 18" though. Where did you order coilovers from with the 8k springs for the rear? Is it very easy to adjust yourself? I was thinking of having a shop install mines if I decide to get these. Looking kind of interesting to me

DanozLS430...