LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Junction Produce SS kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 10:37 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Junction Produce SS kit

Okay. So I finally installed my ss kit after work. I did not get a chance to take good pics but I did manage to take a few (as I was on a time frame). First off, I do like the kit. It noticeably dropped my ride, however there were some problems which I confronted.

If you have the stock 17's, you will run into clearance problems. If you have the factory 18's or larger than no problem. The factory front lower ball joint bolts are 17mm. The one supplied with the kit is 24mm and the head of the bolt has a dome shape. Because of this it rubbed (BAD) with my stock 17's and basically gouged it.

The kit was easy to install. It took me about 1.5 hours as I already installed my coilovers a few months ago (so I know what needs to be removed). Keep in mind that you must also remove the rear seat. The kit comes with a shim that needs to be installed under one of the rear upper strut plate nuts. Not sure what this is for. My guess is to correct toe, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, here are my pics:

SS kit

Front before the install

Front after the install

Rear before the install

Rear after the install (hard to tell the difference but believe me it's low. I'll take better pics later)

Rear and front after install

Currently I have Tein CS's. I have been running it at full drop. After the install, I have left the rear coiled at full drop and raised the front about 1". The pics above are bad as its hard to see the full drop. The vehicle was sitting on 2 x 4 blocks in those pics. That's why it looks so high.
Old 02-19-08, 08:51 AM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much did the kit cost you?
Old 02-19-08, 09:58 AM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

There are 2 kits. The SS and the SS Pro. The difference in the 2 is the SS Pro comes with new front lower ball joints. The SS is just the spacers.

The SS set me back about $500, while the SS Pro kits run about $800.
Old 02-19-08, 11:12 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good Teamplayer!!! That's probably the cleanest way to drop a car other than using the Data Controller. I'm guessing your ride is the same before and after the drop?
Old 02-19-08, 11:31 AM
beangrower
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so did the ride change with the suspension spaced out like that? or is there no difference? damn..must be nice working on your car at work? hehe. u work at servco lex or toy? my friend use to work at servco lexus.
Old 02-19-08, 12:00 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Thanks guys.

Not sure about the ride quality. I drove home right after work and never drove the car after that. (and I live about 5 minutes from work). But the ride seemed the same from when I only had the CS's in there. My guess is it'll be the same. The whole drive home I was more preoccupied with the scraping issues though.

I work at the Toyota in Mapunapuna (where Gibsons used to be).
Old 02-19-08, 09:50 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks good!
Old 02-20-08, 03:01 AM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Thanks. Okay update. I just picked up my friend 19 x 9, 19 x 10 Weds Rapiers and will mount them tomorrow night. I also picked up 3mm spacers due to caliper clearance issues.

I already test fitted the wheels before. That's how I know I needed spacers.
Old 02-20-08, 08:57 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my current ride, a shim is needed on the upper mount to hold the strut in place.

When lowering springs are installed, there was no pressure holding the up mount still. The shim kept it from sliding up and down (which in turn would cause the car to bounce a little). Pogo effect
Old 02-22-08, 01:04 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teamplayer
Thanks. Okay update. I just picked up my friend 19 x 9, 19 x 10 Weds Rapiers and will mount them tomorrow night. I also picked up 3mm spacers due to caliper clearance issues.

I already test fitted the wheels before. That's how I know I needed spacers.
post pics! I wanna c how this looks
Old 02-22-08, 01:46 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Ran into some problems. My friends wheels didn't fit even with the 3mm spacers. I don't want to run bigger spacers and not enough tread will catch on my lugnuts.

I am in the process of either buying my other friends wheels (the mesh HRE's if the current buying flakes out) or picking up another friends 20" Work T1S's. I will take pics once I get the new wheels. I don't wanna drive the car as the tierod end is gouging my stock 17's.
Old 02-22-08, 01:56 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Ran into some problems. My friends wheels didn't fit even with the 3mm spacers. I don't want to run bigger spacers and not enough tread will catch on my lugnuts.

I am in the process of either buying my other friends wheels (the mesh HRE's if the current buying flakes out) or picking up another friends 20" Work T1S's. I will take pics once I get the new wheels. I don't wanna drive the car as the tierod end is gouging my stock 17's.
Thats wierd that the tierod end is messin with your rims. I never had that problem with my youzealand ss kit. and I was on stock 17s
Old 02-22-08, 02:34 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Serious? Hmmmmm...I'll take some pics tonight.

Question. Did you pick up the pro SS or just the SS kit?

If you have the pro kit maybe the newer ball joint compensates for this. But if you have the regular SS kit than I am lost.
Old 02-22-08, 03:17 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Serious? Hmmmmm...I'll take some pics tonight.

Question. Did you pick up the pro SS or just the SS kit?

If you have the pro kit maybe the newer ball joint compensates for this. But if you have the regular SS kit than I am lost.
I bought the reg ss kit front and rear. Pretty much the same thing you bought only it looks slightly differant. Here is a pic of me dumpt on my stockies. This was like about a year ago, when I use to drive this car everyday.

Last edited by racinstyle; 02-22-08 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 04:17 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Holy crap!!! are you on factory air? Cause even fully cranked down my Tein CS and SS kit won't go that low.

Quick Reply: Junction Produce SS kit