LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

AFS OFF Light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 11:14 PM
jaunas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to start a new thread in IS forum , but it never came alive (new user I believe).

So my problem was not with sensor it self but with the metal plate marked No.3 in pic that broken. Changing whole piece would cost me buying sensor itself and 400$ or so. Got few advice in different forum and part number so ordered that little metal place for 7eur and will see if it will fix my issue.

Originally Posted by Arcturus
Don't want to be rude, but this is the LS forum and it seems like you have an IS vehicle. For the part number you may want to try there.

It seems like that whole link and ball assembly is shot so I would replace the whole thing if it's not too expensive.

However, that being said I have seen links like this repaired with a coat hanger. There is a video of a guy doing that on youtube with the Prius AFS sensor:

Prius Headlight Height Load Sensor Error Message - YouTube

You could try something like that for a cheap fix. You could also make something up out of ball joints and a metal plate. Just make sure it's the same length of the original and that it can swivel around and not bind up when the suspension moves.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-16, 07:13 AM
jaunas
Driver School Candidate

Hello again guys,

So OK, I replaced that metal piece with original part and mounted it back and looks just fine.

So now, when I start the engine 'AFS off' is on ( not flashing but is on ) and I am able to turn it off and on with the switch in computer but after ~5sec the 'AFS off' starts flashing and computer no longer reacts to On Off commands.

Any advice ? maybe I should restart somehow the system or is it issue with some other component?
Anyone had such experience before ?
Old 04-07-16, 10:03 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

This may be too little too late, but I found a complete sensor/ bracket for $180 last year on Ebay. But for your light...maybe pull battery cables or error codes need a few start cycles before they clear.

So the light may clear from starting car a couple times.
Old 04-07-16, 10:07 AM
jaunas
Driver School Candidate

I doubt I need a sensor itself. Got the metal place / bracket for 6eur and it fits and looks as should.

I started the car few times after finishing with the work but did not help.
Will go for a test drive tonight to see if anything changed.

I wonder, The previous owner could have aligned the headlights manually after failing to fix AFS. Is it possible I need to realign them manually back to where they suppose to be or is it not a possible reason for flashing AFS light ?
Old 04-12-16, 04:45 AM
jaunas
Driver School Candidate

So Ok . An update.

Checked the front sensor just to find this:

So moving it manually horizontally fixes the problem and AFS off is not flashing anymore. Just to find the replacement is the task.
Old 04-12-16, 07:44 AM
jaunas
Driver School Candidate

and here is my fix after being quoted 520eur for the sensor itself. No more flashing 'AFS off'

Old 09-16-16, 06:44 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flashing afs

So i just changed my head lights to some aftermarket head lights, and now my afs off ligth is flashing, besides from taken out the fuse is there any other way to get the light to stop flashing?/
Old 09-17-16, 12:53 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
So i just changed my head lights to some aftermarket head lights, and now my afs off ligth is flashing, besides from taken out the fuse is there any other way to get the light to stop flashing?/
Even if you take the fuse out, the light won't stop flashing. As it is indicating something not plugged correctly.
That's the price you pay for aftermarket headlights.
Old 11-10-17, 11:38 AM
y2k1234
2nd gear

I just fixed my LS430 level sensor at underneath back drive side by cleaning 3 springs and contactor wipers inside sensor as above video shown. Use a multimeter to check three pins resistance changing by rotating the arm before I put it back.
Old 02-17-18, 07:54 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I thought I would just do a preventive maintenance. This is how a sensor looks like from inside with a southern garage queen with 110K miles.

Old 06-02-18, 05:42 AM
HansImmer
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

my AFS OFF is blinking fast, too.

I am from germany and bought a british LS430 2005 and fitted the rebuild headlights yesterday. I tested the headlights by switching them on before replacing the front bumper. They worked fine. But i did that with the engine off. Today i drove the car out of the garage to do some other fixes. Now AFS OFF is blinking fast with engine on. I have to say that my battery seams to be close to death. Its one to refill and i had to charge her two times this week while the car is not moved. Battery was not connected with the car after charging. I use the Ctek 5.0 for charging. Once i used recond. Once without recond. Today battery was strong enough to drive the car out and into the garage. Can the AFS OFF blink cause of the weak battery? Car was not on the street so i can´t imagine that a senor is broken. Maybe i have done a weak connection on the plugs of the headlights. Which one is for the AFS function?

Thanks a lot.
Hans
Old 06-02-18, 05:48 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Hans, if you are experiencing battery issues, I would start there. Purchase a new battery, as many systems and components rely on a fully charged and strong battery. Make sure the alternator is charging the battery as well, just for peace of mind.

Once you have established that the electrical system is functioning correctly, you can move onto the next issue... LHD headlights in a RHD car...

The ECU for the AFS system may be different between LHD and RHD cars...

If you shut the AFS system off and restart the car, do you still get the blinking AFS light?

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 06-02-18 at 05:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HansImmer (06-04-18)
Old 06-02-18, 05:56 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Here's some troubleshooting information for you

This should be the same as a Euro market LS when compared to the US market car.
I'm not sure how many things would be different on a UK spec LS, outside of the obvious RHD differences.

AFS OPERATION CHECK

1. >>>>Check that the initialization (determination of the initial position) of the leveling motor and swivel motor is performed at engine-start. <<<<
  2. Check that the warning indicator in the combination meter assembly comes on for approximately 3 seconds when the ignition switch is in ON position.
  3. Check that the warning indicator in the combination meter assembly comes on when the AFS OFF switch is pressed.
  4. Check that the warning indicator in the combination meter assembly goes off when the AFS OFF switch is not pressed.
HansImmer (06-04-18)
Old 06-02-18, 07:33 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by HansImmer
Hello,

my AFS OFF is blinking fast, too.
Regarding the "AFS OFF" indicator light blinking...
HansImmer (06-04-18)
Old 06-03-18, 08:35 AM
InToyoda
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep my AFS off always - so i've never had to replace it ;D maybe if I was going down Mt.Haruna at night during a thunderstorm I might need it.
I'm used to 90s cars lighting and I feel as though my lexus lights the road up at night like a christmas tree and has a very nice beam pattern.

Also turned my telescopic steering off upon entry(this was using Lexus personalized settings at the dealer or what not) because I don't need it as I don't have a belly and I heard of the motors going out.

The one thing I would like to turn off but can't seem to figure how : when I adjust my seat to go back, the headrest moves up automatically.

anywho, just my .02

Last edited by InToyoda; 06-03-18 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: AFS OFF Light flashing