LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Fog Light Conversion (HID)

Old 01-28-08, 03:55 PM
TRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 Fog Light Conversion (HID)

I just recently purchased a 04 LS430 and wanted to know if it is possible to replace the standard fog light bulb with an HID bulb that looks similar to the headlights?

Is there a DIY kit or does installing HID fog lights require a special power conversion kit. I don't want to have any sensors going off nor do I want to burn out any wiring because of the increased power or heat load.
Old 01-28-08, 08:25 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope only can use 9006 bulbs check the vendor section for AAC they make HID kits for the fogs...
Old 01-28-08, 08:44 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRC
I just recently purchased a 04 LS430 and wanted to know if it is possible to replace the standard fog light bulb with an HID bulb that looks similar to the headlights?

Is there a DIY kit or does installing HID fog lights require a special power conversion kit. I don't want to have any sensors going off nor do I want to burn out any wiring because of the increased power or heat load.
Are you aiming for looks or actual utility of a HID fog?

PS: Where about Washington are you at?
Old 01-29-08, 05:11 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a 9006 HID kit and I was planning to do this once I figure out if I have enough room back there to mount the balast.. I'll post some pictures when I get home of the parts that I got from Carson Toyota..
Old 01-29-08, 08:46 AM
airtime

Originally Posted by 2SAVVY
I've got a 9006 HID kit and I was planning to do this once I figure out if I have enough room back there to mount the balast.. I'll post some pictures when I get home of the parts that I got from Carson Toyota..
Hey not to diss you but my pet peeve is adding HID where it wasn't intended, unless its factory or projector based. Adding HID to existing housing only spread unwanted lighting blinding on coming traffic. I hate it when I see Honda Civics, etc with HID lighting and there is no defined beam pattern or cut off, it's like they are running high beams all the time, its annoying as hell.
Old 01-29-08, 09:05 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by airtime
Hey not to diss you but my pet peeve is adding HID where it wasn't intended, unless its factory or projector based. Adding HID to existing housing only spread unwanted lighting blinding on coming traffic. I hate it when I see Honda Civics, etc with HID lighting and there is no defined beam pattern or cut off, it's like they are running high beams all the time, its annoying as hell.
Totally understand where you are coming from but with the right HID kit it looks pretty good.. The kit I have is 4300K so the colour and light output should dead perfect to the headlights.. Henry I believe had a similar setup on his former GS400 and I thought it looked good and was much more effective in bad weather.. When it gets warmer I will get it installed and you can tell me if it looks too rice for you..

Ken
Old 01-29-08, 10:05 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Ok here are a few pictures of the McCulloch kit that I got from Steve @ Carson Toyota many moons ago.. I was using them on a Honda Accord winter beater back in the day..

One correction from my post above the lights are 4500k so these might be a bit bluer than the factory headlights.. They are just lying around in my basement so I will do one side and see how she looks when we get some warmer weather..

I'll take some pictures of comparing one side HID fogs and other side regular 9006 bulb then we can start a discussion if these look weird on the LS..
Attached Thumbnails LS430 Fog Light Conversion (HID)-2.jpg  
Old 01-29-08, 10:08 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Its a pretty cool system.. Totally plug & play.. Just need to find a mounting spot for the HID controller.. Here is the diagram..
Attached Thumbnails LS430 Fog Light Conversion (HID)-1.jpg  
Old 01-29-08, 11:49 PM
TRC
Driver School Candidate

I'm going more for looks than utility. I think the HID headlights by themselves provide enough light but I don't like the way the fog lights have the brown tint to them.
Old 01-30-08, 12:03 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't like HID kits but I don't mind them for foglights. Fog lights are aimed down so there's not much glare. Just get a 9006 HID kit from ebay.
Old 01-30-08, 02:18 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I find the stock foglights to glare more than the headlights themselves on the +04 as it is.

I'm pretty sure the stock LS430 projectors will thwart ANY HID kit out there, so you wouldnt even notice a difference with HID fogs.
Old 02-04-08, 02:58 PM
siphan430
Rookie

I've installed an HID kit in my fog lights and I think they help quite a bit. It also improves the look of the car too.
Old 02-04-08, 03:07 PM
airtime

The color looks really good, damn bright Any unwanted glare at night to oncoming traffic?

PS: Nice blacked out grill too.
Old 02-04-08, 10:02 PM
912inc
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XVJZA80
I've installed an HID kit in my fog lights and I think they help quite a bit. It also improves the look of the car too.
i like the look, but how does it match up to the headlight? Can you post more pix of ur car? it's pretty sick looking
Old 02-05-08, 05:11 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

XVJZA80,

The HID kit looks really nice on your LS. What kit did you end up getting and if possible can you post up a front end pic with headlights and foglights on so we can see the colour difference.

BTW love that blacked out grill. Looks very MEAN and those wheels have some serious lip action. Great job!!

Ken

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS430 Fog Light Conversion (HID)