LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Strut Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 10:13 AM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a set of swift springs with KYB struts on my 2001 LS last fall. My car had the original struts ( non sport) and 85k miles at the time. I've never seen an A/B compare, but it seems like th swift springs are probably similar to the tanabe - very small drop and similar to stock in terms of stiffness. I haven't seen many references to people installing Swifts on an LS, but I went with them mainly based on reviews from being installed on other cars. The car corners much better, and is MUCH less boaty. The has more stiffness over bumps for sure, but is still fairly supple. The biggest down side is that small sharp bumps from hitting seams in the road, or potholes are more noticeable. I suppose this is the normal handling vs comfort trade off that needs to be made in any suspension setup. I have noticed the ride getting a little more compliant as the setup is breaking in. I've driven about 1.5k miles since the install. Overall I am happy with the results.

Last edited by vollandt; 12-28-10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-03-11, 07:47 AM
stropp
Driver School Candidate

did you replace anything else other than springs and struts?
Old 01-03-11, 07:56 AM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by stropp
did you replace anything else other than springs and struts?
assuming this is for me. No thing else moded. I am on the original 16" wheels with a set of Yokohoma envigors went on about a month before the spring/strutt replacement.
Old 01-09-11, 04:49 PM
Cheesaleo
Driver School Candidate

On my 04' LS430 ML in november 2010 I had some work done. I replaced the oem struts with the KYB's on both front and rear. I replaced all strut mounts with oem, replaced the oem springs with tanabe nf210, replaced the front lower control arm bushings with new ones, the front swaybar links with oem, and replaced the rear stabilizer links with oem. In addition I also had all my rotors replaced with drilled rotors to improve my braking, and new brake pads. Overall, the car handles better in the city, and even better on the expressways and interstates once I'm traveling above 65-to-70mph like a 5series bimmer. However in the city while driving I perfer the oem boatiness...and with a set up like this one its much more sporty. Still a very comfy ride, but because of the performance springs and kyb's its much more sporty. Although I like having less body roll with the new set-up, and my braking is much better than the oem in my opinion. It stops on a dime.

Overally for anyone looking to make the change to a similar setup such as this one; you'll certainly feel the road much more, and the accelaration is more respected. I feel like before when I would cruise 75mph it felt sloppy and numbing for my being the driver. I have my on 17" wheels oem, now it changing lanes I feel more involved with the road. Keep in mind its only the winter time so when the car comes back to 70degree climate it'll feel even better.
Old 05-22-14, 02:10 PM
ozarksbuck
Driver School Candidate

Default FYI Stick to OEM on your LS430

Just got done replacing the drives side strut with a KYB 341332 Excel-G shock.
The original strut that came off the car is stamped KYB so I figured there OEM replacement shock should be fine. Wrong, the spring receiver portion of the strut was 90 degrees turned from the stock strut. So that kind of bothered me but I proceeded with the install. Got the drives side done and the passenger was scheduled for the next day. I drove the car to town just to see if I could feel a difference from the drivers side to the passenger (that was still original equip) and it seemed the driver's side was a slight bit more jittery. Then parked 430 in the garage and came back out 10 minutes later and a puddle was forming under the driver's side front! Thought just A/C water dripping off. But no it was the new strut, it blew the oil seal with maybe 30 miles on it. No short cuts for the Lexus, Now I get to uninstall and reinstall what I https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima.../pat.gifshould have bought the first time around. 04 Lexus LS430
Old 05-22-14, 03:07 PM
dapimpee
Pole Position

I got my shocks at Tirerack . The concept of replacing shocks sounds very easy and simple but in reality it's not that easy as DIY at home with floor jack or small tools and if it's your first time ever. I would rather pay the shop to do it for safety issue. There are many things can go wrong with any job that requires to jack the car up. Jack can go bad, even with jack stands. I had my friend who is the mechanic to help me out last week with installing after market springs and he still ran into little problem here and there.
Old 05-22-14, 03:16 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

KYB is tried and true. They are oem. Sounds like you got the wrong part.

I show 341393 is rear and 341392 is front.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-22-14 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-22-14, 03:35 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have any of you seen the complete sport suspension package offered from sewell on the accessories site for the LS430? Looks like it comes with springs, struts, bushings etc in one package.
Old 05-31-14, 02:25 PM
ozarksbuck
Driver School Candidate

Default Struts KYB 341392

First, thanks for the reply's. i had a typo in the shock number it was a 341392, strut unit only. These units are supposedly OEM but they were smaller in the lower portion of the strut then the original ones. I was going to reuse my springs because they only have 80k miles on them. But I will price out the strut assembly, struts at sewel are $180 each. There is a lot less work doing the assembly instead of compressing the springs. So I'm going to call the parts dept at sewel and make sure they are different from the ones I just put on.
Old 05-31-14, 02:26 PM
ozarksbuck
Driver School Candidate

Only did the struts and rubber boots
Old 11-19-14, 02:55 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had the front struts replaced with the KYB g shock OEM strut..

I also had the front strut mounts replaced at the same time. I am now hearing creaking coming from the left front strut mostly at low low speed, but at higher speeds I hear nothing.

When I push on the front right side of the car while the car is parked I hear nothing. When I press on the front left side I get the loud creaking.

I thought that getting the new mounts when replacing the struts was supposed to keep that from happening.

Any ideas how to eliminate this creaking? The struts and mounts were silent before I replaced them yesterday.

Is the creaking likely coming from the spring rubbing on the new mount?
Old 11-19-14, 08:20 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds similar to my situation. I got the LCA and front sway bar bushings replaced. I heard squeaking/rubbing for a few days, then it went away.
Old 07-08-15, 10:30 AM
velocitor
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 ls430

I have 170,000 on my lexus and was told that front right strut leaks. My question is: Does this model have struts in front and back.

Are these coil overs?

Thank you
Old 10-08-15, 12:09 PM
Oldguys
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Best bet is to avoid using the spring compressors they rent at the auto parts store. These are insanely dangerous to use. If one were to slip you could easily have the assembly blow apart like a bomb with enough force to take your head off. Take them to a mechanic that has a wall mounted spring compressor like a Brannick 7400. I had a local mechanic do mine for $25 each. It helps to watch them being done so you can confirm how it was originally assembled and make sure it goes back the same way. When they are done the top strut bearing should rotate freely. The first time he did it unsupervised he messed it up and the top bearing wouldn't rotate. So I made him do it over again till we got put together like the one that did freely rotate. If you can't rotate the top bearing of the strut assembly easily by hand you will have all kinds of problems (creaking, groaning…) once they are reinstalled.
Old 10-08-15, 02:09 PM
Oldguys
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget that the wheel hub carriers are aluminum so it is really easy to strip the threads when removing stubborn fasteners if you don't take precautions. Use Kroil penetrant oil and let it soak in overnight. Use heat to break down the thread locker. Tighten the bolt a smidge first and then back it out a bit, then run it back in a bit. Better safe than sorry. Impact wrench could do a lot of damage.

Quick Reply: Strut Replacement