Recommendation on winter tires & wheels for 2003 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 11:04 AM
flagship43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation on winter tires & wheels for 2003 LS430

Hello,

I'm looking to get winter tires for the 2003 LS430. The car has 17 inch wheels from the factory but I am interested in going one size smaller for winter rims.

I'm interested in getting 16inch steel wheels for it, but seem to have trouble finding them. Do any of you use 16inch steel wheels on your LS430 in the winter?

The tires I am interested in are the Michelin X-ICE or Nokian RSI. Debating between the two, but first I need to find wheels!

Thanks
Old 12-08-07, 11:18 AM
Frank T
Rookie

Why Steel? I think you will have a hard time finding some to fit. I have an 03 that I run 16" on during the winter, 16's are the way to go. I picked up a set of new Lexus take-off rims on ebay, and have a set of Nokian WR's on them. I also went one size smaller on the tires. I can't tell you the exact size because the cars not here right now.

It made a HUGE improvement in winter driving. The Nokian WR's while not the "ultimate" snow tire work really well for me. In reallity I only need a good snow tire about 10-12 days a year, since a day after a major snow our roads here are plowed, and salted and basically dry again. The WR is a very good tire on dry and has given me great tire life.
Old 12-08-07, 11:25 AM
flagship43
Driver School Candidate

I'm not really interested in aluminum wheels for winter tires. I just want something cheap for winter (wheel wise).

As for tires, I have past experience in Nokian Hakka tires and they are pretty solid. I wasn't as amazed by their performance in deep snow as I was by their performance in ice. It is as if ice doesn't exist.
Old 12-08-07, 11:27 AM
flagship43
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys also know the bolt pattern for the 2003 LS430?
Old 12-08-07, 12:56 PM
GregGH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Frank T
....... I have an 03 that I run 16" on during the winter, 16's are the way to go. ........
Hi

Why is going to a smaller rim -the better way ????

I also looking for snow tire options for 06 LS - it has 18" rims now ... ( just got car )

Did you guys stay with the 45 ratio tires - or go skinnier ?? Have 245/45's now

Anyone know the width of OEM rims? - assuming 7 1/2" or 8"

I was thinking about upgrading the rims for summer use ...and using stock rims on winter tires ...but they will be a wide rim--so I am probably going to have to stay with 45's as tires.

We got more dry roads than ice ro snow --so we need a 'best fit' tire for all conditions --anyone care to recommend a good web site for reviews.

Greg
Old 12-08-07, 04:36 PM
Frank T
Rookie

You DON'T want wide low profile's for winter, you want a narrow tire for winter, the smaller footprint gives you more traction. Like a highheel verses a snowshoe.

My Nokians are 215/65/16 and have almost exactly the same diameter as my 225/55/17 low profile summer tires. Keeps the odometer acurate. Plus 16" tires are usually considerably less expensive than 17 or 18 inchers.

Have you tried the Tire Rack for steel rims? If they can't get them they are probably not available. Finding something to fit over the brakes might be a real problem. FWIW I didn't pay over $300 for my Lexus OEM's off Ebay.
Old 12-09-07, 05:38 AM
FinnLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Nokian RSIs on my earlier LS400 and can warmly recommend them. They are a bit slippery on dry/wet surface but on ice/snow grip is very good
for a spikeless wintertyre.

In my LS430 i have some Bridgestone Bilzzaks that I don't like so much.
Too slippery on snow. Going to get some RSIs
Old 12-12-07, 05:12 AM
cdnguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe someone with an LS 430 wants to use steelies. The LS is one of the most beautiful cars in the world, and for 5 months of the year, you want to make it one of the ugliest cars in the world by putting steelies on it? I'm on my 3rd winter with my aluminum rims, bought especially for winter, and while there is some corroding, there is nothing really obvious, except on close inspection. For an extra $600 over steelies, it's a cheap investment for your own ego.

I run the Dunlop Winter Sport M3, and they are great, especially here in Toronto, where most roads, other than 2 days a year, are, at worst, slushy. They are very quiet, especially on the highway (no hum) and are lasting very well (as I said - 3rd winter, and very little wear). To check out the latest in winter tires, and others recommendations, go to www.tirerack.com . The only disadvantage is that they don't rate the Hankooks etc.
Old 12-12-07, 07:52 PM
Hybrid-JD
Rookie

i'm using the Pirelli 210 sport winter tires.. and they are absoulutely the most horrible sounding tires ever!! THEY ARE SO LOUD that it acutally bothers me when im driving.. so i have to blast up the music just to avoid the sound.

And i must agree, that if your driving the LS 430.. its worth it to get some rims to match the car.

And to quote cdnguy, i've driven on a set up Dunlop m2's in Toronto winters for 4 seasons and they were pretty damn good. So m3's wouldnt be a bad idea.
Old 12-12-07, 09:37 PM
spender
Driver

I'm running Dunlop Winter Sport M3s in Calgary, and these are GREAT TIRES! When the roads are driven off and mostly dry and clean, they drive like summer performance radials. When there is snow and ice, they are very confident, they rarely miss their bite. I was a little apprehensive getting my LS (I used to have an SUV with Nokian WRs), but with these tires, I honestly feel I have nothing to worry about. These are also the highest-rated winters (weighted, look at the miles) on Tire Rack (well, they're the second, but you get my point...)
Old 12-16-07, 02:08 PM
flagship43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdnguy
I can't believe someone with an LS 430 wants to use steelies. The LS is one of the most beautiful cars in the world, and for 5 months of the year, you want to make it one of the ugliest cars in the world by putting steelies on it? I'm on my 3rd winter with my aluminum rims, bought especially for winter, and while there is some corroding, there is nothing really obvious, except on close inspection. For an extra $600 over steelies, it's a cheap investment for your own ego.
I don't find the LS430 (especially in 2003 form) to be particularly beautiful. Aesthetically pleasing would be the best way to describe it.

Anyway, I don't think my ego gets affected by using steelies instead of rims. I would have a very weak ego if it did. Plus, its not like the stock Lexus rims on the LS430 are anything special either.

Are Lexus rims interchangeable between models? Would wheels that fit an IS or ES fit the LS? I would assume they would all have the same bolt patterns.