LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

clear taillight for 01-03

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 06:03 PM
icedowt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill try to grab my fluke from the shop and get some resistance measurements for you guys. considering my set is still at the house. im wondering if both the resistor packs are the same. i didnt look to see if they were different just made sure i had four of them.. might not be in the next couple days but by next week i should have them for you
Old 05-30-08, 06:11 PM
bluegsx
Rookie

Originally Posted by icedowt
ill try to grab my fluke from the shop and get some resistance measurements for you guys. considering my set is still at the house. im wondering if both the resistor packs are the same. i didnt look to see if they were different just made sure i had four of them.. might not be in the next couple days but by next week i should have them for you
that would be EXTREMELY helpful...thanks
Old 05-30-08, 08:27 PM
DRWChicago
Driver School Candidate

Talking

+1

I haven't been on the forums for a few weeks (all work and no play...), however, if there is a fix for these, I'd give it a go. I'm also going to call the dealer of the lights again and ask what the deal is for an RMA. If I can get away with just taking out the inside and not the outside, that would be sweet. Mine don't leak and look great - it's the dash light that is still pissing me off.

Originally Posted by bluegsx
that would be EXTREMELY helpful...thanks
Old 05-31-08, 02:47 AM
j4x0n
Rookie

Originally Posted by DRWChicago
+1

I haven't been on the forums for a few weeks (all work and no play...), however, if there is a fix for these, I'd give it a go. I'm also going to call the dealer of the lights again and ask what the deal is for an RMA. If I can get away with just taking out the inside and not the outside, that would be sweet. Mine don't leak and look great - it's the dash light that is still pissing me off.
same for me.. really love the tailights. juss the stupid dash light.. hope someone can find a fix for this soon
Old 06-16-08, 02:11 PM
j4x0n
Rookie

Originally Posted by icedowt
were you able to find out the measurements yet?
Old 06-19-08, 02:16 PM
ludes98
Driver School Candidate

I have had them for months now with no leaks and my installer sucked at wiring. I have 1 row out on the LH trunk. I am pretty sure it is loose wire. I haven't had time to investigate. IMHO the hassles are acceptable due to running LEDs in a setup not designed for it.
Old 07-01-08, 08:23 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

I don't know if I have the same problem but I Just installed mine and on the Outer Driver tail light on the bottom row the light only lights up when i press on the brake. Then i tried turning it 180 degrees where you are supposed to connect the wires and then the light works but whenever i press on the brake it just turns off while the other side brightens. I don't know what the problem is any help is appreciated
Old 08-28-08, 10:13 AM
j4x0n
Rookie

so has anyone found out any way to fix this problem? don't really feel like buying another set of new ones. haha
Old 08-29-08, 07:20 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess the only thing that will fix it is the resistors. The newer models come with the resistors built in and so far no one has had any problems.
Old 08-29-08, 09:27 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

technically the set has 8 resistors. 4 of them for the outer lamps attached to quarter body, already have the resistors built into the housing.

the inner housings attached to trunk lid also have 4 total, 2 on each side. But since they are smaller, it can't fit the resistors inside. This is why you have to attach them yourself and tuck them away somewhere in the trim panels.

here's a pic of my tails. I'm planning on going a half in lower if the ride comfort remains the same.

Old 10-27-08, 05:23 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

clear taillight for 01-03-img_0377-800x468.jpg

I know this thread has been beaten to death but I've just gotten around to doing this mod and I must say that I'm very pleased with the results.

I got these LED's from Option Racing in La Puente, Ca. and they couldn't have been easier to deal with. As a matter of fact, they allowed me to do a will call (saved shipping) and got an exceptional price too.
The install was easy once I got the hang of it and realized that the oem wiring harness needed to be used as well. It came with 4 resistors that was previously discussed here and they were a pain to put into place. I finally used cable ties to secure them inside the trunk frame. The other thing that was a pain in the *** was dealing with the plastic screw clips that Lexus uses to secure the trunk linings. They must have a specialized tool for this.

So far, no warning lights on the dash and since we haven't had any appreciable rain here in So. Cali., I won't be able to tell if they are sealed from moisture or not but the look is so much cleaner and updated with these lights.

What do you guys think?

Thanks to all previous posters for sharing their experiences.
Old 10-28-08, 12:02 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

They look great! Big improvement. I can't wait until I get a set.
Old 10-29-08, 05:17 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nice !!!!

Originally Posted by LSGarry
... So far, no warning lights on the dash and since we haven't had any appreciable rain here in So. Cali., I won't be able to tell if they are sealed from moisture or not but the look is so much cleaner and updated with these lights.

What do you guys think?

Thanks to all previous posters for sharing their experiences.
I got a pair for my '99 RX about two years ago and so far so good. I think these new generation after-market LED lights are much better fit and quality too. But, with everything in life, different manufacturers, so different results.

As for looks A+. Had I gotten a '01-'03 LS, I would have upgraded the taillights as first thing. Have fun and enjoy the lights.
Old 11-18-08, 11:57 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

How's everyone's tail lights doing? Any warning lights come on? Anyone figure how to turn the warning light off? I am about to order a set in a few days.
Old 11-18-08, 05:10 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine are doing great so far with no warning lights or failures. Got mine at Options racing in La Puente, Ca. and they were great to deal with. Great fit too.

Quick Reply: clear taillight for 01-03