LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Im Scared to Keep my LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 11:24 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im Scared to Keep my LS

Hey guys, I have been really afraid of whats to come with my LS. Last week a door actuator broke on the car and it costs 730 dollars to fix. A door actuator is such a simple part that should be much cheaper that $593 for parts. I have replaced on other cars of mine for a fraction of that. The point I am trying to get across is that I am afraid whether having this car out of warranty is safe with the extremely high repair costs. Also I did the research on the part and the price is accurate. I am dealing with an honest shop.
My mech told me that this part in particular is ridiculous but I cant imagine what an a/c compressor or alternator costs on this thing. Please let me know what issues you all have had along with their prices so that my confidence in keeping my car may be restored. My car is a 2002 UL with 56,000 miles so you all know. This is in no way an LS bash as I love the car and it never breaks but I am afraid that when it does, the repairs will kill my wallet.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited by badbronco8; 07-03-07 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-03-07, 05:35 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Why don't you buy an extended warranty? The person who bought my LS 430bought a warranty from the Toyota dealer...

Craig

2007 LS 460
Old 07-03-07, 05:53 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus is from Toyota(of course you know that) and some of parts are common with Toyotas as well, so next time you may want to check your Toyota parts department instead of Lexus, sometimes even Toyota service will work with Lexus as well. We have Toyota's pick up trucks for more than 20 years and one of the SA at the Toyota dealer ask me to take my LS to them for service and he promised to be a lot cheaper than Lexus dealer, the only difference is NO LOANER CAR...
Old 07-03-07, 07:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There have to be some wrecked LS's around in salvage yards that you could buy a used one for a fraction of the price...

Jonny
Old 07-04-07, 09:46 AM
wilkie1020
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 05 LS430 with 32K miles had a parking assist sensor fail on the front bumper. The dealer replaced it & said it would have cost me $512.00 if it wasn't covered with the warranty. With all the electronics on this car, I may go with the extended warranty when I get closer to the end of my warranty. The SA said most of these sensor are replaced because a rock hit them, which I guess wouldn't be covered by warranty any way.
Old 07-04-07, 01:25 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Dude, just go to Lexus and ask for the Platinum Lexus Extended Warranty. It will cost you about $2k but will cover your ride up to 100k miles. And remember, IT IS NEGOTIABLE! They wanted to charge me $2k but I talked them down to $1300. It pretty much certifies your car. You get a free rental, tow, and everything else. Plus NO DEDUCTABLE!
Old 07-04-07, 11:26 PM
jgrooms
Driver

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Dude, just go to Lexus and ask for the Platinum Lexus Extended Warranty. It will cost you about $2k but will cover your ride up to 100k miles. And remember, IT IS NEGOTIABLE! They wanted to charge me $2k but I talked them down to $1300. It pretty much certifies your car. You get a free rental, tow, and everything else. Plus NO DEDUCTABLE!
IronCobra, what dealer did you buy your extended warranty from? What did you say to talk down the price? Do you have to deal with your local dealer or can you buy from any dealer? (in case my local dealer doesn't want to negotiate).

Thanks,
John
Old 07-05-07, 04:34 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

IronCobra,
Will they still sell me the warranty even though the car is out of 4 year Lexus warranty?
Old 07-05-07, 07:47 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by badbronco8
Hey guys, I have been really afraid of whats to come with my LS. Last week a door actuator broke on the car and it costs 730 dollars to fix. A door actuator is such a simple part that should be much cheaper that $593 for parts. I have replaced on other cars of mine for a fraction of that. The point I am trying to get across is that I am afraid whether having this car out of warranty is safe with the extremely high repair costs. Also I did the research on the part and the price is accurate. I am dealing with an honest shop.
My mech told me that this part in particular is ridiculous but I cant imagine what an a/c compressor or alternator costs on this thing. Please let me know what issues you all have had along with their prices so that my confidence in keeping my car may be restored. My car is a 2002 UL with 56,000 miles so you all know. This is in no way an LS bash as I love the car and it never breaks but I am afraid that when it does, the repairs will kill my wallet.

Thanks,
Ed
Odds are you'll still be better off with the LS than other cars that (according to statistics) will break more often. What would you buy if you sold the LS? Also, as you consider the situation, keep in mind any out-of-pocket cost for trading to some other vehicle. Chances are that trading to another vehicle will not make good economic sense once you consider the big picture -- kind of like people who trade a 'luxury' car for an 'economy' car that gets a few MPG better mileage, yet they spend more on the trade than the difference in fuel would have cost them over the life of the original luxury car.
Old 07-05-07, 10:47 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

I6,

The LS is my favorite car and I honestly couldnt answer the question of what other car I would buy. I would have stepped down to a more economical vehicle such as a new ES to not have to deal with the repair costs. You are 100% right on the cost issue of trading in a vehicle. If you look at it from an out of pocket scenario I would end up spending more up front to trade (for a lesser car in my eyes), than keeping this awesome car and hoping for the best. Im not mad at the LS as I have put almost 20k trouble free miles, I was just concerned that if a door lock is 700 dollars, what does an a/c cost? 4 grand? I am using these numbers figuratively as I dont know what it would cost to repair an a/c but I just hope that other repairs if there are any, will be priced more reasonably.

Ed
Old 07-05-07, 10:54 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

The Warranty is sold through Lexus Financial Services. They sell 2 levels of it, Gold and Platinum. I went with the Platinum because it covers the Navigation, if you don't have Nav then go for the gold.

When they were selling me the car they asked if I wanted the extended warranty. I asked how much and he told me $2k for 30k warranty for 3 years. I said "I'm not paying that much, is the price negotiable?", he said "everything is negotiable". The he said "$1500" I said "$1300" he said DONE...

I purchased it from Northpark Lexus in San Antonio.
Old 07-05-07, 11:31 AM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Was it a 100k mile warranty or 30k warranty or 3 years for $1300? I currently have 43k miles on a 2001 LS430 and wondering if I can get that deal also?
Old 07-05-07, 12:52 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
Was it a 100k mile warranty or 30k warranty or 3 years for $1300? I currently have 43k miles on a 2001 LS430 and wondering if I can get that deal also?
My car had 61k when I purchased it. The warranty says "Up to 100k miles or 3 years" on the paperwork. Also, if your car is not equipped with Nav, then you don't need the Plat.. get the gold.
Old 07-05-07, 03:05 PM
350g
Driver

I wouldn't worry too much . . . hell, I have 125k clocked on the odometer and the only thing that needed repair was the high pressure side of the ac line ($90 part). Being **** as I am, I did opt to have the front door hinges replaced to eliminate the creaking / popping noise as they opened. Those were a bit more $500 total for both doors.

In a way, I wish I'd get another company car, so I could get nasty with the engine

G
Old 07-05-07, 04:19 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

is that a bumper to bumper, or drivetrain only?

Quick Reply: Im Scared to Keep my LS