LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How do you turn off radar detection on Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 05:31 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you turn off radar detection on Cruise Control?

I've found the radar-based cruise control on my 2004 LS430U to be useless.

Is there any way to turn off the radar portion, and use it as standard cruise control?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-07, 07:05 PM
Nelson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Moogy
I've found the radar-based cruise control on my 2004 LS430U to be useless.

Is there any way to turn off the radar portion, and use it as standard cruise control?

Thanks!
Yes you can. I don't have the manual handy but basically you use the lever that controls the cruise control and either push it forward or pull it back to put it in old fashioned cruise control mode. I think the lever is marked 'mode' to signify this option. I can't remember but you may have to hold it for a few seconds to make the change.

What don't you like about the variable cruise control?
Old 06-08-07, 08:11 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I use my radar only long distance travel. Pretty useless in moderately heavy traffic even with the short distance adjustment. Too many slow down. Now for fairly clear traffic, the radar works great on the occasional cars cutting in or what not. Also pretty good preventive warning.
Old 06-09-07, 10:16 AM
Moogy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by airtime
I use my radar only long distance travel. Pretty useless in moderately heavy traffic even with the short distance adjustment. Too many slow down. Now for fairly clear traffic, the radar works great on the occasional cars cutting in or what not. Also pretty good preventive warning.
Exactly what he said
Old 06-09-07, 12:19 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

But I think when the Radar CC is useless, then that would make the regular cruise even more useless. At least the radar based brakes, and COULD be used in heavier traffic then just plain CC.

Btw, i think pulling, or pushing bakc twice in a row does it.
Old 06-09-07, 12:51 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Call me crazy but I thought it was exactly like regular cruise control unless a vehicle cut you off or was traveling too slow ahead of you.
Old 06-09-07, 01:26 PM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I only use it on open stretches of road. Anyplace you have any hint of traffic, it can act erratically. When I do use it, I turn the distance to the smallest measurement.

To turn the radar off, push and hold the cruise stalk forward until the "Radar Off" displays on display 2.

Todd
The following users liked this post:
HauntedKen (05-01-18)
Old 06-09-07, 08:01 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Yup, I really notice that in heavy traffic, it slows down far too much and gets bothersome. Using it on long stretches is awesome.
Old 06-10-07, 12:14 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Any of you guys having problems also have PCS? Because mine works just fine, with no issues in traffic, which really surprised me. If i remember correctly, they changed the radar from laser based, to wave based, or something of that nature, but not sure if it was a 01 vs. 04 thing, or a PCS vs. non PCS equipped cars.
Old 06-13-07, 09:11 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
But I think when the Radar CC is useless, then that would make the regular cruise even more useless. At least the radar based brakes, and COULD be used in heavier traffic then just plain CC.
I agree with this statement, overall Radar CC is far better than regular stupid CC. I guess if you like to do the slowing down part yourself playing with the controller, than that's your thing...
Old 06-16-07, 01:55 PM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

I just wished the radar would work in the rain cause i know mine doesn't is this a lexus thing or is my radar broken?
Old 06-25-13, 11:49 AM
bobbyg49
Driver School Candidate

Well I just learned how to cut the radar off and use CC only.

Great post.
Old 06-25-13, 02:32 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGLS430
I just wished the radar would work in the rain cause i know mine doesn't is this a lexus thing or is my radar broken?
I have laser cruise control and it doesn't work in rain. It works in light rain but once it starts pouring it gives the message. I don;t want to use laser cruise control when it pours anyways.

I just drove 1500 miles roundtrip and this is one of the best features for long trips. Love it!
Old 06-25-13, 06:20 PM
schack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2001 LS with the laser cruise and now have a 2004 LS with the radar cruise. The radar based one will work in the rain and in heavy rain can detect vehicles ahead that I may not see. I think this is a fantastic piece of technology and I would frankly not buy another car without one. It has advantages even in moderate freeway traffic where passing is useless and you just sit back and follow the car in front of you at what ever distance you are comfortable with. Out on rural interstates, just set the speed at 80 and drive in the left lane. When someone pulls out in front of you, the car will slow down until they move back into the right lane. If they are obstinate and will not move over, then you are relegated to follow them as you would without the radar but it entirely takes the drama out of it. I absolutely love the radar cruise!
Old 06-25-13, 10:17 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, Lexus has made the Laser vs. Radar issue more confusing than it should be.
The following is for 04-06 LS430s ad may not be correct for 01-03s.
Dynamic Laser Cruise Control (DLCC) is standard on CL and UL cars. It is not available on Base, Premium, or ML cars.
If your CL or UL car has the Pre-Collision System (PCS) option, then DLCC is replaced by DRCC.
Here's where it gets confusing. The driver display calls both of them "radar".
The easiest way to spot them is the "glass eye" in the passenger-side lower front bumper for DLCC and the transparent plastic "shield" surrounding the Lexus logo in the center of the grille for DRCC.

Quick Reply: How do you turn off radar detection on Cruise Control?