LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How do you turn off radar detection on Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 09:14 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by schack
I had a 2001 LS with the laser cruise and now have a 2004 LS with the radar cruise. The radar based one will work in the rain and in heavy rain can detect vehicles ahead that I may not see. I think this is a fantastic piece of technology and I would frankly not buy another car without one. It has advantages even in moderate freeway traffic where passing is useless and you just sit back and follow the car in front of you at what ever distance you are comfortable with. Out on rural interstates, just set the speed at 80 and drive in the left lane. When someone pulls out in front of you, the car will slow down until they move back into the right lane. If they are obstinate and will not move over, then you are relegated to follow them as you would without the radar but it entirely takes the drama out of it. I absolutely love the radar cruise!
I agree entirely. I use my radar cruise all the time. It is perfect on the freeway, even with fairly heavy traffic. It just allows you to drive the average speed of the traffic and does it for you. Of course you can't, and wouldn't want to, use it in very slow stop and go traffic. When I get in a car that has normal cruise and try to drive in my usual environment, I can't and wouldn't even try to use the cruise as it's useless.

I wouldn't want another car without it.
Old 03-31-18, 07:37 AM
jjb89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelson
Yes you can. I don't have the manual handy but basically you use the lever that controls the cruise control and either push it forward or pull it back to put it in old fashioned cruise control mode. I think the lever is marked 'mode' to signify this option. I can't remember but you may have to hold it for a few seconds to make the change.

What don't you like about the variable cruise control?

What I've found with the radar cruise control is if the sun is too bright into the sensor (mornings or evenings) it won't work... If there's snow covering it, it won't work, which I understand is by design. In the rain it doesn't work either. I just found that out the other day on my way to work as it was raining. So say you're going on a long trip and its raining, your radar sensor is covered in bugs or whatever it be, it's a good thing to be able to turn off rather than have to use the foot 100% of the time. I didn't know you could disable it so I'm happy to see it's possible without getting into the computers and spending tons of money to go old fashioned. Other than that it's a great system and it really works well. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-31-18, 04:29 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by schack
I had a 2001 LS with the laser cruise and now have a 2004 LS with the radar cruise. The radar based one will work in the rain and in heavy rain can detect vehicles ahead that I may not see. I think this is a fantastic piece of technology and I would frankly not buy another car without one. It has advantages even in moderate freeway traffic where passing is useless and you just sit back and follow the car in front of you at what ever distance you are comfortable with. Out on rural interstates, just set the speed at 80 and drive in the left lane. When someone pulls out in front of you, the car will slow down until they move back into the right lane. If they are obstinate and will not move over, then you are relegated to follow them as you would without the radar but it entirely takes the drama out of it. I absolutely love the radar cruise!
The left lane is for passing. Once you pass, you are are supposed to get back over to the right, regardless of how fast you are going.
Old 03-31-18, 05:00 PM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

To answer your question, if it's anything like modern Toyota products, turn on your cruise, then push and hold the stalk forward until it switches to regular cruise control.
Old 03-31-18, 05:15 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you guys say push, do you mean push it towards the windshield or pull it towards yourself?
Old 03-31-18, 05:18 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Here's what the Owner's Manual says...
The following users liked this post:
HauntedKen (05-01-18)
Old 03-31-18, 11:15 PM
gupta643
Driver School Candidate

On my 04 which has the Laser cruise, you need to start the car,turn on the cruise then hold the lever forward(towards the windshield) for a couple of seconds until radar off is displayed. You can only do this when the car is not moving and must re do it every time you have turned off the car. The laser system was not good and was only used for a short time before radar was introduced. My laser has been out of alignment for some time now and will show an error any time I go to use it.I took it to the dealer the first time it went out and they had no info on it so had to contact Japan to find out how to set it up...it didn't last very long before it went out again. I have found the correct procedure to set up the alignment my self but I cannot get into the correct area of the system with the scan tool I have access to.
Old 04-10-18, 06:31 PM
Neverdone
Driver

So, I've tried to turn on normal cruise control by doing what the manual says and after putting it in reverse, vsc light comes on and check cruise system pops up.

I've tried it multiple times and the vsc light will go off but after I do it again, it comes back on until I shut cruise off again...

I know i have a small hole in the laser glass but this should override it. What else could i check?
Old 04-16-18, 04:03 AM
gupta643
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Neverdone
So, I've tried to turn on normal cruise control by doing what the manual says and after putting it in reverse, vsc light comes on and check cruise system pops up.

I've tried it multiple times and the vsc light will go off but after I do it again, it comes back on until I shut cruise off again...

I know i have a small hole in the laser glass but this should override it. What else could i check?
Read my post which explains how to turn on normal cruise.
Old 04-16-18, 07:33 AM
Neverdone
Driver

Originally Posted by gupta643
Read my post which explains how to turn on normal cruise.
ya I already figured it out. I'm getting an error to clean the sensor , so I did. Maybe laser will work now who knows.
Old 04-20-18, 04:46 AM
Neverdone
Driver

Ok, so I did a thorough pressure washing of the sensor and now it turns on and seems to work...however, I just tried it this morning(dark out 430am) and it did nothing but just keep cruising up to another car...

is this a common issue with darkness, or is it not calibrated? Or does it just not work lol
Old 04-20-18, 02:59 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Ok, so I did a thorough pressure washing of the sensor and now it turns on and seems to work...however, I just tried it this morning(dark out 430am) and it did nothing but just keep cruising up to another car...

is this a common issue with darkness, or is it not calibrated? Or does it just not work lol
just to add to this. I tried it out today (3pm daylight) and it worked perfect with a semi in front of me...fast forward 5 minutes with a black car in front of me and it didn't work...any ideas?
Old 04-23-18, 01:55 PM
gupta643
Driver School Candidate

just to add to this. I tried it out today (3pm daylight) and it worked perfect with a semi in front of me...fast forward 5 minutes with a black car in front of me and it didn't work...any ideas?
The laser cruise works by bouncing the laser beam back off the car in front of you by using that vehicles reflectors. If the vehicle in front has dirty or no reflectors the laser beam will not be returned to your cars laser sensor.
Old 04-23-18, 03:56 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Originally Posted by gupta643
The laser cruise works by bouncing the laser beam back off the car in front of you by using that vehicles reflectors. If the vehicle in front has dirty or no reflectors the laser beam will not be returned to your cars laser sensor.
well that seems fairly useless.
Old 04-30-18, 02:20 PM
gupta643
Driver School Candidate

well that seems fairly useless.
And that's one of the reasons why they only used the laser for (I think) one year before going to Radar.

Quick Reply: How do you turn off radar detection on Cruise Control?