LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

'04 LS430 Ashtray Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 10:30 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zachpapa
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,
This sounds exactly like what I have been looking for. Thanks to all for the legwork and insight so far!
A couple quick questions for anyone so inclined to provide a tad more insight.
1. the charger still works...correct?
2. Are installation instructions included?
3. How about instructions for putting the original cover on the new piece?
4. Approximately how deep is the new box?
OK...being somewhat ****...just imagine if I was an engineer .

05 LS
I am an engineer and these are the answers:

1. There is a DC outlet, if that's what you mean. If you mean if you can use the actual lighter itself, I don't think that will work as the fuse might not be rated to pull the amps for the lighter.

2. Installation instructions were included with mine, but I did not get through Sewill.

3. Original cover was not anticipated to be used, but removal and installation is really 'self-explanatory' meaning if you have any sort of mechanical knowledge, you'll be able to remove the cover. If not, then don't bother, the pattern is not going to be that far off.

4. 2.7465554" to the top edge of the wood. 2.4875647" to the power edge where the door will close down on.
Old 07-25-09, 10:58 AM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

How can i figure out which color code I need? Thanks!!
Old 07-25-09, 11:30 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Vin

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
How can i figure out which color code I need? Thanks!!
Call them and give them your VIN and they'll pull the part suffix for you.
Old 07-25-09, 03:23 PM
zachpapa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I am an engineer and these are the answers:

1. There is a DC outlet, if that's what you mean. If you mean if you can use the actual lighter itself, I don't think that will work as the fuse might not be rated to pull the amps for the lighter.

2. Installation instructions were included with mine, but I did not get through Sewill.

3. Original cover was not anticipated to be used, but removal and installation is really 'self-explanatory' meaning if you have any sort of mechanical knowledge, you'll be able to remove the cover. If not, then don't bother, the pattern is not going to be that far off.

4. 2.7465554" to the top edge of the wood. 2.4875647" to the power edge where the door will close down on.
from your responses
1. The "DC outlet" will still work
2. Hopefully Sewill provides instructions.
3. Just looking to simplify the process by gaining insight from another's experience. Will take under advisement and cross that bridge...
4. If those are approximate measurments, glad I did not ask for exact!
Thanks again for sharing. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-09, 04:37 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Dark Force Lightening...

Originally Posted by zachpapa
from your responses
1. The "DC outlet" will still work
2. Hopefully Sewill provides instructions.
3. Just looking to simplify the process by gaining insight from another's experience. Will take under advisement and cross that bridge...
4. If those are approximate measurments, glad I did not ask for exact!
Thanks again for sharing. It is greatly appreciated.
1. Correct. Once the wood trim is removed, there is one cable connecting the cigarette lighter assembly, disconnect it (pull apart). Then install onto the bin and you're set. The DC outlet cover is spring loaded and works. Once you pull your accessory out, the cover closes by the spring. It's not 'soft spring' if just SNAPS back !!! like an alligators mouth.

2. Even not, someone has PM'd me and provided written directions as I had done it... below:
a. the wood trim is held in place by four push pins at the four corners. I used a heavy fishing line and slipped it under one corner of the trim near the cup holder. Get it under nice and snug and pull straight up until the pin is released. PULL STRAIGHT UP.

b. once the side is up, so to the other side and pull up also untl that is off.

c. then go to a corner on the front, and pull, then the other corner and pull.

d. the shifter chrome trim will at this point probably have come loose. Put that aside to install later.

e. pull the power line to the cigarette assembly and remove the wood trim.

f. once out, you'll see four screws holding the assembly to the trim, remove the four screws.

g. to install, do opposite and just push the trim back into place at the four corners.

h. put the chrome shifter trim back on.

*** be careful pulling the wood trim up. It's straight up but don't go crazy on it. The pins are somewhat delicate (I broke one) when pulling. Although one was broken, it was still tight upon installation and I did not get any squeeking.

3. My answer was not a crack on anyone, it was just my thoughts on the piece itself. Once you get the piece off, you'll see what I mean by it's not that hard, but once you get the assembly, you'll be able to discern if the patter is a good match or not, and if you need to do the swap.

4. Yes, the measurement was approximate by eye, if you want exact, I can pull out my vaneer calipers. ha ha. I did use a tape measure and it's approx. 2.75" to top and 2.5" to the lower "edge" so you lose 1/4" of space. It's good for wallets (not closed), pens, and other junk.
Old 07-26-09, 12:36 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Correct. Once the wood trim is removed, there is one cable connecting the cigarette lighter assembly, disconnect it (pull apart). Then install onto the bin and you're set. The DC outlet cover is spring loaded and works. Once you pull your accessory out, the cover closes by the spring. It's not 'soft spring' if just SNAPS back !!! like an alligators mouth.

2. Even not, someone has PM'd me and provided written directions as I had done it... below:
a. the wood trim is held in place by four push pins at the four corners. I used a heavy fishing line and slipped it under one corner of the trim near the cup holder. Get it under nice and snug and pull straight up until the pin is released. PULL STRAIGHT UP.

b. once the side is up, so to the other side and pull up also untl that is off.

c. then go to a corner on the front, and pull, then the other corner and pull.

d. the shifter chrome trim will at this point probably have come loose. Put that aside to install later.

e. pull the power line to the cigarette assembly and remove the wood trim.

f. once out, you'll see four screws holding the assembly to the trim, remove the four screws.

g. to install, do opposite and just push the trim back into place at the four corners.

h. put the chrome shifter trim back on.

*** be careful pulling the wood trim up. It's straight up but don't go crazy on it. The pins are somewhat delicate (I broke one) when pulling. Although one was broken, it was still tight upon installation and I did not get any squeeking.

3. My answer was not a crack on anyone, it was just my thoughts on the piece itself. Once you get the piece off, you'll see what I mean by it's not that hard, but once you get the assembly, you'll be able to discern if the patter is a good match or not, and if you need to do the swap.

4. Yes, the measurement was approximate by eye, if you want exact, I can pull out my vaneer calipers. ha ha. I did use a tape measure and it's approx. 2.75" to top and 2.5" to the lower "edge" so you lose 1/4" of space. It's good for wallets (not closed), pens, and other junk.
Great instructions. Thanks!
Old 07-26-09, 07:54 AM
papan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Can someone post a picture of it installed
thanks
Old 07-26-09, 10:29 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Search search search...

Originally Posted by papan
Can someone post a picture of it installed
thanks
have to love the "SEARCH" function... it can be your friend and time saver. Anyway, check post #14, I had posted some pictures when I first installed...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-question.html
Old 07-27-09, 04:48 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Has anyone actually received anything from Sewell? I tried to order the console assy thru their web site and apparently it failed. When I tried to submit an order it reverted back to the first page. Then it refuses to let me access my account. Tried a couple of times and don't know whether by order was placed one, twice, or never. Also can't get them to answer the phone and they won't return my call

Anyone else have these problems and if so, how did you resolve them?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-09, 07:32 PM
AlexusAnja

Sewell is legit for sure. I got a new set of keys through them, cut and everything. Maybe their site is experiencing heavy traffic, or you're just calling at the wrong times. I would give it another try and then see what others have to say. They're an official sponsor on this site, so they're not a scam.
Old 07-28-09, 04:26 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Sewell is legit for sure. I got a new set of keys through them, cut and everything. Maybe their site is experiencing heavy traffic, or you're just calling at the wrong times. I would give it another try and then see what others have to say. They're an official sponsor on this site, so they're not a scam.
I will co-sign on what Alex said about Sewell, last June I bought another SmartKey (With the key cut) for my car from them and it was a pleasent transaction.
Old 07-28-09, 06:00 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the endorsment of Sewell Lexus. I finally discovered my problem to be a password problem. After I got that resolved, I found Sewell had cancelled my previous order for mats. I then ordered the Console Assembly and was successfully confirmed. Their total price was $35 less than my local dealer (who offered to sell it to me for $200 but I would have had to add taxes).

I really appreciate this forum. Special thanks to froboy272 for setting up this special buy with Sewell. I would never have know about this except for this forum.

Last edited by jayclapp; 07-28-09 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-29-09, 12:59 PM
AlexusAnja

Default A plus and negative

Originally Posted by jayclapp
...I really appreciate this forum. Special thanks to froboy272 for setting up this special buy with Sewell. I would never have know about this except for this forum.
Amen to that ... nothing better than CL to find things on repairs, problems, and accessories, but it's also a negative because I've found so many things online that I could have lived without... but I found them online and then I need to have them. Which means less $$$$ for me...
Old 08-01-09, 09:28 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got mine from Sewell this week. Its really really nice. Plenty of room for storage. To be honest it was worth it just so i dont have to hear the keys vibrate in the ash tray anymore.
Old 08-04-09, 06:46 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=AlexusAnja;4708774]I am an engineer and these are the answers:

3. Original cover was not anticipated to be used, but removal and installation is really 'self-explanatory' meaning if you have any sort of mechanical knowledge, you'll be able to remove the cover. If not, then don't bother, the pattern is not going to be that far of
f.

Alex, please don't take offense to my comments. I am also an engineer and almost always agree with your comments.

Today I received the console bow from Sewell. In my case the wood door did not quite match in color. So I decided to Change the door. Wow! What a job. There were no instructions and I had to kind of reserve engineer the job by disassembling the current bow. If all you want to do is replace the current box with the new one it is quite simple. After disassembling, you only have to replace 4 screws to replace the box. Changing the door was another thing. First you have to remove a cover at the end of the box in order to remove the lower half of the box. This is necessary to get access to the 4th screw that hold the door to the unit. Then you have to remove the lower portion of the box to be able to get to the 3 screws that hold the door on. After removing the door, you have to exchange the inner door surface that comes with the new unit to the old door you wish to keep. No obvious and I missed this the first time. When assembling without this new piece, the door would not open and close properly. All in all, it took me over an hour to fit my old door into the new console unit. But I'm very picky and wouldn't be satisfied with an obvious mismatch in color. The new door was slightly lighter in color and I would always be aware of it.

I'm very happy with the results, but people should be aware that keeping your old door is not a simple quick thing to do.

Last edited by jayclapp; 08-04-09 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: '04 LS430 Ashtray Alternative