LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replacing brake pads on my LS430 was... CAKE!

Old 08-23-08, 01:56 PM
Russ G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thank you to this thread. I just replaced the pads on all 4 wheels for $100.98. It took about an hour total. Probably 30 minutes for the first wheel, as I took my time, read the instructions, and fumbled about. After that, about 10 minutes per wheel, with the hardest part being the jacking and wheel removal/replacement. I reused the shims that were on the old pads and all seems well. Thanks again. Now I need to figure out how to solder the old brake wear sensor and reset the computer to solve the warning on my instrument panel. I tried soldering, but the solder just ran off the sensor. Oh well, next weekend. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
Old 09-28-08, 09:28 AM
Laclu007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It really was cake!

I changed all 8 pads on my 2001 LS yesterday. Here in Canada, I bought the replacement pads at Canadian Tire. (they had to order them) They seem to be working just fine. The only small issue I had was on the rear passenger side, the brake sensor connector wouldn't go on one of the pads, so I just changed pads, and it fit fine on the other one. I could have filed it down a bit, but didn't need to.

As it turned out, (by coincidence), I think the rotation I used to change them might work the best:

1) Rear drivers side - Smaller pads, only 1 cylinder to compress. Get your confidence up.

2) Rear passenger side - You now have some experience, and are feeling confident, this really isn't that hard. And, now you'll get to do the first pad with a brake sensor wire. Again, pretty easy, just take your time.

3) Front passenger side - You can easily remember the issues (if any) with the wire connector, and the wire holder (spring clip), how it's positioned for re-installation.

4) Front drivers side - No wires to here to worry about, just compress the cylinders and away you go!

Another suggestion, use a small pan (a baking pan your wife has thrown out) to keep all the small parts in while you are changing the pads. That way, nothing gets lost.

It really does just take an hour or so, just take your time. Pick a Saturday a.m., pour a nice cup of coffee, put the tunes on and enjoy your "garage time"!
Old 09-28-08, 10:47 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to see some DIY folks here in LS forum getting their cars done on weekends instead of from the stealerships. People are very 'scared' or thrown back by the prospect of doing 'auto repair' but with time and confidence, there really isn't much that an 'average joe' or 'jane' can't handle in terms of normal maintenance items. Of course I would never handle a transmission or engine rebuilt on a weekend.

Keep up the good work everyone.
Old 10-06-08, 05:45 AM
LSLUXX
Driver School Candidate

Default Help - 2005 LS 430 Pad sensor clip replacement !

This thing is driving me nuts!
I had my local mechanic replace pads and rotors. In the process discovered the small clip that holds the sensor was gone - probably the reason for the alam in the first place!. The sensor seemed okay (wire still covered) Went to the stealership and bought the miniscule clip.
Went home, raised the car but can't figure out how it goes in!!
It's supposed to slide in but in what position?
Can some of you more experienced and mechanically inclined give me any clues? I spent the money just to have the alarm go off!! And it hasn't!
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-08, 02:30 PM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LSLUXX,

Go to page four in this thread. I posted some pictures earlier this year. You can see the clip and sensor both off and on in a series of pics.
Good luck.
Old 10-15-08, 07:35 PM
bluefranky
Driver School Candidate

Talking The dealer recommends replacing the Caliper pins

If I am replacing the brake pads, shouldnt I also replace the caliper pins? I hear that this is recommended when replacing the pads from the dealer.
Since I already have the pads out, can I just remove one old pin and install the new one then remove the other old one and replace with the new one. Also what type of grease should I be using on the pins?
I already ordered the parts and will do the job this Sat. Hope all goes well.

Thanks
Frank
2005 LS430, & 05 RX330,
02 Higlander
02, 05 Camry
Old 10-15-08, 08:06 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^Yeah, I remember the repair manual lists some of these parts are "non-reusable" parts. Don't have mine with me to check right now. Maybe someone else has one to tell you whether the pins are a non-reusable part. I also remember seeing some bolts as being non-reusable, other than being able to torque the bolt properly, I see no other reason that a shadetree mechanic not using a torque wrench would need to replace some of these non-reusable parts.
Old 10-16-08, 05:13 PM
bluefranky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bluefranky
If I am replacing the brake pads, shouldnt I also replace the caliper pins? I hear that this is recommended when replacing the pads from the dealer.
Since I already have the pads out, can I just remove one old pin and install the new one then remove the other old one and replace with the new one. Also what type of grease should I be using on the pins?
I already ordered the parts and will do the job this Sat. Hope all goes well.

Thanks
Frank
2005 LS430, & 05 RX330,
02 Higlander
02, 05 Camry
Correction: I ment to say is caliper bolts not pins if you replace the bolts; what grease can you use?

Last edited by bluefranky; 10-17-08 at 06:52 PM. Reason: wording
Old 10-23-08, 02:29 AM
Red Square
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did my brakes today and was very straight forward. change oem pads and intalled Rotora cross/drilled rotors. stuck with oem pad because the are quiet and good enough for street use. well its not a race car, but this setup seems to be working well.

Rotora rotors:
-R.44122.1c
-R.44122.2c

pick these up at a local shop in city of industry. Six Autoworks has a great deal on them, for $115.00 each
Old 10-26-08, 07:45 PM
rael
Rookie

Just did mine last weekend: cost was $100 for all for wheels from Irontoad. Took me about 2 hours all in, as I cleaned and recoated the shims on all four wheels. That part took the longest. I used permatex blue brake stuff. The brakes are quiet and the job turned out perfect.

I examined the brake sensors and both sides had some wear on the sensors, yet the brake warning light was not on, so I just reinstalled and all was good. I could have gone another 10K miles on the pads, but I had some time so I decided to just get it done, as I did not want the warning light to go off. In all, the simplest break job I have done since my 65 sunbeam tiger when I was in high school.
Old 11-08-08, 03:58 PM
buggs384
Driver

Just did mine tonight took 45 mins...thanks for taking the time to take and upload photos.
Old 11-09-08, 06:36 PM
05LS430
Driver School Candidate

when i saw the brakes,i was like wtf? never seen anything like this before. and said to my self, this could be a dealer stuff.

but NOPE lol god I love forums full of useful information

im getting front and rear pads for $28+tax legit so i will do this soon
Old 11-09-08, 07:03 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 05LS430
im getting front and rear pads for $28+tax legit so i will do this soon
Gotta ask, where for $28?
Old 11-09-08, 08:02 PM
05LS430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airtime
Gotta ask, where for $28?
advance auto... granted it's the cheap kind, i can always get it for $13.98 per axle commercial price
Old 11-17-08, 06:21 PM
05LS430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05LS430
advance auto... granted it's the cheap kind, i can always get it for $13.98 per axle commercial price
these pads work just as well as the factory ones if not better. if purchased normally, $30 an axle or so.

highly recoomend!

I do have stock pads with about 40% left(still can see the middle ridge) if anyone wants to give me few bux for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing brake pads on my LS430 was... CAKE!