LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-16, 09:48 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zapola6
Good Morning,

It hit 220,000 on the way to work this morning.

Only issue in the last 10,000 miles is that it threw a Check Engine and VSC light with the code of:

PO1346 V V T Sensor/Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem Bank 1

And

PO1349 V V T Malfunction

In reading the forum, it led me to an oil control valve problem, to troubleshoot I took both valves out and put 12 volts to them, sure enough the bank 1 valve was barely activating in comparison to the bank 2 valve. Bank 1 and 2 valves are different part # 's. I replaced with Part # 15340-0F010 from the dealer for $130.
Well,

In just over 4 years I have gone from 123,000 to 230,000 on the 01 Base. No real issues in the past 10,000 miles… There’s a slight pulse in the steering when braking, going to get it into the Denver Toy Doctor soon and have the trans flushed (last flush 100K ago), look over the suspension as it’s still all original including wheel bearing hubs, if all is well, will have the front end aligned. Just checking to be sure that my braking vibration is not suspension related… Then instead of turning the rotors, it’s been 80,000 miles since the last brake job, I’m thinking, I will replace the brakes from the rotors out. Last time I did Duralast on the brakes, for the money I would say I got my money’s worth, pads are still 50% plus and could turn the rotors without a problem.

Haven’t made up my mind what I brakes I will put on it this time, before any discounts through AutoZone (typically can find anywhere from 20% to 30% with free shipping) I’m at $279 for front and back pads and rotors. Thoughts anyone….?????

The only issues I have had: There was a transmission issue a couple of weeks ago when I got onto the interstate, it did not shift into 5th gear. I let is sit in 4th for a mile or so and it still didn’t shift, I made sure that it was in drive, shifted to 4th and back to drive, still did not shift, took it to neutral and back to drive and it shifted to 5th. Hasn’t happened again. Also getting an engine miss every now and then after coming down from interstate speeds, assuming another coil pack going bad, replaced one about a year ago, checked for codes, no code yet, just waiting on the code to replace the offending coil pack

The oil is changed every 5K with Mobil 1 or equivalent rather it needs it or not, plugs are due in 25K and timing belt in 42K. . To this point I have been able to do all of my own maintenance, knock on wood…..

I also went from Michelin Primacy’s (had 3 sets on this car) to Continental’s about a month ago, I’m at interstate speeds within a ½ mile of the house, both brands flat spot when sitting overnight, annoying for the 1st couple of miles and it’s over, in technical terms I think the Michelins are just a tinch quieter and smother than the Continentals and maybe a very slight handling difference favoring Michelin. I don’t think you can go wrong either way as the Continental’s are pretty close. Haven’t driven the Continental’s in the snow yet.

The interior of the 16 year old car is holding up remarkably well 8 out of 10, about the same as when I bought it. The exterior, the hi-way is taking a toll on the front with rock chips and such. I also have the rust issue coming through on the passenger door at the trim. People are still surprised that it’s a 2001.

My goal is for the LS - To make it to 300K, and then I think I will be looking for my 2010 or up 460 and hope it’s half the car that this one has been. Apologies for being long winded, it was this or work....

Back in another 10,000….
Attached Thumbnails How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)-img_0870.jpg  
Old 11-09-16, 10:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckItMcGe
Just bought a 2004 with a whopping 32k miles on her!

I am the 3rd owner, it has a clean carfax and the local Lexus dealer gave it a PPI with the only note being 'will need new wiper blades soon'.

Paid $16.5k out the door, very happy!

Edited to add: a huge shoutout goes to PenFed credit union, who financed a 12 year old vehicle with a 0.99% APR. I will never use another bank for car purchases again!
hehe we once had a car loan with them, and they never even so much as acknowledged that we paid off the vehicle. Never heard of that. Then one day, the title arrived in the mail.

I always thought Navy had better rates, but not recently. PenFed's 5% gas rewards card is a no-brainer, though. You get 5% if you have a loan, automatically. Since we didn't have a loan, I had to setup direct deposit to a checking account, $500/mo. minimum. No problem, I'm rich.....lol

oh to answer the question around 83,500
Old 11-12-16, 11:39 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got 218,000 kilometres on my 2000 model and she is showing her age a bit.
Old 11-13-16, 04:28 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Zapola 6, excellent write up! I thoroughly enjoy these high mileage stories. I own a LS460 and we are now starting to see some stories of the car going over 200,000 miles, but it has taken some time. I love this thread...wish we had one like it on the 460 side of the house. But for you to make it from 123,000 to 230,000 with basically no real issues is impressive. I have a similar style commute, mostly highway, and I've had very minimal issues with my car (140,000 miles and growing).

I love the high mileage success stories of the LS430.
Old 11-13-16, 10:33 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootymad
I've got 218,000 kilometres on my 2000 model and she is showing her age a bit.
I guess I can understand why... http://tinyurl.com/jub28un
Old 11-13-16, 11:28 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I guess I can understand why... http://tinyurl.com/jub28un

She was showing her age before I got her. Mechanically she's sound, but the electrics and bodywork leave a bit to be desired. I know the outfit that did the paintjob on it (Toyota NZ to be exact) and its all starting to fall off, but sadly PPG's Lifetime Warranty doesn't apply to me (Catch 22: Lifetime warranty applies only to that particular owner that got the paintjob. Subsequent owners don't get said warranty)
Old 11-26-16, 11:08 AM
mbr439a
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 Lexus LS 430. Bought 4 years ago with 64,000 miles on it - now have 96,000. Several problems; 1) Touch screen display for radio stopped working. Had to replace it with dealer part. Cost @$1200,00. 2) Amplifier for the radio (Mark Levinson) suddenly stopped working. Lexus wanted $2000.00 for a new one; $1200.00 for a rebuilt one. Found a place in Syracuse NY that repairs them who I sent it to on a Monday - got it back on Friday. Works perfectly now. Cost $375.00 and it's guaranteed for 1 year.
Old 11-26-16, 05:07 PM
IowaVol
Driver School Candidate

Default Pushing my luck

I am suspicious enough that that I feel a little shaky answering this...2004 with about 269,000. It has been a good car with most upkeep done at the dealer. I know that they are more expensive but they give the best service and diagnosis. I have recently found a local shop that is much,less expensive for the big repairs. Lots of rock chips up front from highway driving but she still runs well and is a great highway car. I put about 35k a year on her and have plans to get to 400k. Here's hoping for plenty of good miles ahead.
Old 11-27-16, 08:41 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by IowaVol
Lots of rock chips up front from highway driving but she still runs well and is a great highway car. I put about 35k a year on her and have plans to get to 400k. Here's hoping for plenty of good miles ahead.
I'm right there with you IV. I do about the same mileage a year driving 5 days a week between Milwaukee and O'Hare airport in Chicago in my 2001. I installed a bra on the hood, which was taking the brunt of the rock chips. It's holding up, and protecting the hood. My goal is 400K as well. I'm just about to hit 140,000.
Old 11-27-16, 05:57 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by IowaVol
I am suspicious enough that that I feel a little shaky answering this...2004 with about 269,000. It has been a good car with most upkeep done at the dealer. I know that they are more expensive but they give the best service and diagnosis. I have recently found a local shop that is much,less expensive for the big repairs. Lots of rock chips up front from highway driving but she still runs well and is a great highway car. I put about 35k a year on her and have plans to get to 400k. Here's hoping for plenty of good miles ahead.
Nice. You have me beat- I just turned 243k last week in my '04. I also do a lot of highway driving- sometimes up to 40k-50k miles per year. Still running VERY strong (knocking on wood). Keep it going!
Old 12-18-16, 01:31 PM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

2001 LS430
Just clocked above 120,000 miles a few days ago.
Now we got it used for around I think above 85,000 miles or somewhere above there. The original owner had it but died, and its only big move was from Florida to Maryland.
Only issues with it has been water leaks from the window sealants on the left side, mainly on the rear door, but a towel makes do. Left rear view mirror is cracked, but still folds and adjusts, right mirror has a folding issue. And the battery has been replaced for its 2nd time under our ownership. Only had 2 accidents under us too, one where someone hit the front right of the car, mainly body panel damage, and another which gashed the front bumper leaving scrap marks along the right side of it.

So far, still smooth, fast, and responsive. However, I fear the 150,000 mile mark will lead to rebuilds, changes, and expensive bills.

Last edited by BTC89LS400; 12-21-16 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-22-16, 07:22 AM
danhamel20
Driver School Candidate

2002 with 206K miles in New England.
overall a great reliable car - 3rd owner
perfect for 4 person carpool 80 miles each way once per week.
everyone fights for back seats. - 1 other carpool mate replaced his totaled Avalon with same year LS. loves it. just need to convert the other 2
one has Infiniti G37SX - hot car but very cramped and harsh and uncomfortable for commute, other is ES350 - back seats have no support and were designed for children.

bought in 2012 with 127K miles
replaced timing belt and all that typically is done during that job.
new left front wheel bearing - bent rim
replaced exhaust from H/Y pipe to rear
still have exhaust leak somewhere up front, check engine light on, suspect cats - expensive to replace.
rust bubbles under paint at door trim, driver's door and then passenger door. had both doors cleaned and repainted inside and out. (suspect it is caused by salt getting to worn paint around through holes where trim is attached. front doors are slammed and operated more than rear doors
replaced struts on hood and trunk.
valve cover gaskets replaced, noticed slight leak on passenger side during an oil change.
hood latch/cable sticky
driver's seat lower cushion shot, had upholstery shop repair but not happy with result - will buy
oem cushion and replace myself. lower back sore
just bought my second set of Michelins - this time Premier AS - Primacy's weren't available.
Got 75Kmiles out of Primacy set. Still had tread. kept tire rotated every few oil changes.

overall great car and it has spoiled me with its quality, materials, ride and reliability. Not sure if I can ever go back to a common car. Looking for lower mileage LS430s or LS460L from Seattle area or other no-salt use area of the country. In a few years my son will be driving and I think I'll opt for a L version so I can sit in the back on trips and he can drive. I have confidence this car will make it to 300K miles.
Old 12-22-16, 07:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Haven't reached the 4k by me mark quite yet, bought on 10/1. I think the car has 84k....
Old 12-22-16, 07:03 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mbr439a
2004 Lexus LS 430. Bought 4 years ago with 64,000 miles on it - now have 96,000. Several problems; 1) Touch screen display for radio stopped working. Had to replace it with dealer part. Cost @$1200,00. 2) Amplifier for the radio (Mark Levinson) suddenly stopped working. Lexus wanted $2000.00 for a new one; $1200.00 for a rebuilt one. Found a place in Syracuse NY that repairs them who I sent it to on a Monday - got it back on Friday. Works perfectly now. Cost $375.00 and it's guaranteed for 1 year.
Glad you found someone that could repair the amp. Dealer replace cost is ridiculous.
Old 03-03-17, 04:54 PM
SixSeven
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just received my 2005 from Florida today. It has 50,900 miles. I had a black 2005 I sold with 52,000 miles on it 6 months ago.
I have a 2003 LX470 - but really missed my LS, so was glad to find this one.
Love the look of the white on this body style - it's very clean, one owner - who purchased and serviced it at Lexus dealer in Sarasota.
Attached Thumbnails How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)-fullsizerender-1.jpg   How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)