LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY - Updating your Navigation DVD with new version

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 07:14 PM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the link is there a way to convert gen 4 to gen 5? not that i am chang and don't want to buy the gen 5 disk...but i looked around the sewell site it say only gen 5 up have hawaii maps...
Old 05-02-10, 07:41 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Not that I've ever read. It's very different system in terms of presentation, resolution etc.
Old 06-20-10, 09:01 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

What if anything is the noticeable difference between the Generation 2 and Generation 4 for the LS430? I drove in a 04 Nav the other day and it looked similar to my 01 Nav.
Old 06-25-10, 09:01 AM
Gil Smash
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i did this and after I was done the new disk didnt read so i switched them back and now the old one is broken too... I dont know what to do
Old 06-26-10, 07:58 PM
nlholdum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long does the "DVD check in Process" take before it actually loads the new disk? I have had it in there for 35 minutes and it is still in process.
Old 07-14-10, 01:03 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2005 and was told by the Dealer the update is 10. They are selling the DVD's on eBay for $199.50 or "Make Offer". The Dealership offered me a DVD for $180 plus $50 to install/update it. I passed, as the updates come out in the late fall, so I would not buy and update now.

I can't seem to figure out how to view the pictures posted on the update......anybody give me a tip on where to "click my mouse" to see them ? Thanks in advance..
Old 07-14-10, 07:31 PM
chris81964
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 666ogre666
So i did this and after I was done the new disk didnt read so i switched them back and now the old one is broken too... I dont know what to do
How did you fix the issue with the broken NAV CD?
Old 07-15-10, 10:31 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Garmin Nuvi and My Lexus Nav

There is no resemblance to the video quality of my Lexus Nav that my little portable Garmin has, in street color, clarity and ease of use. I agree, it's a shame to have a Nav System in the car and feel it necessary to take the Garmin for a much more clear picture and better "voice directions". The Dealership said updating mine would NOT enhance the video quality, only add any new streets. Again, Lexus puts out their updated discs late in the Fall, so I think I would wait if I were any of you considering an update. As for me, I'll carry my $116.00 Garmin.....I love it. I also have a USB cigarette lighter adapter to charge it.
Old 07-15-10, 10:35 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

I have read, and I think on this Forum, you cannot change the "Generations" from one to another. So sad, as I recently drove a new ES-350 and it's Navigation was VERY CLEAR, and I'd say about as clear as my Garmin....but, I guess I'm stuck with a poor video quality in my 2005 LS-430. :-(
Old 07-15-10, 11:13 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...o-gen-4-a.html

Apparently the Gen2 (used in several 2001 Toyota/Lexus models) trunk DVD reader can be replaced with a Gen4 reader (used in several 04-06 Toyota/Lexus). I am also under the impression that Gen2 is practically the same as Gen3 (2002). Looks like the in-dash nav console does not need to be changed.
Old 08-14-10, 09:50 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

I can't seem to see any of the pictures on the first post of this thread. Is it my browser or are the pics gone?
Old 08-14-10, 03:08 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
I have read, and I think on this Forum, you cannot change the "Generations" from one to another. So sad, as I recently drove a new ES-350 and it's Navigation was VERY CLEAR, and I'd say about as clear as my Garmin....but, I guess I'm stuck with a poor video quality in my 2005 LS-430. :-(
Gen 5 disk can be used in Gen 4 system. I am using it for last few months. This would work if you upgrade from GEn 4 v 8 disk. With previous years disks, Gen 5 disk wont be recognized. The only drawback is that we loose the voice commands, other than that no other issues. However, the graphics / display quality remains the same as with the old disk.
Old 08-15-10, 02:03 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Navigation Visual Quality

Originally Posted by sfuad
Gen 5 disk can be used in Gen 4 system. I am using it for last few months. This would work if you upgrade from GEn 4 v 8 disk. With previous years disks, Gen 5 disk wont be recognized. The only drawback is that we loose the voice commands, other than that no other issues. However, the graphics / display quality remains the same as with the old disk.
Yes, I'm told that by everyone, including the Dealer. I'll keep my $100 Garmin handy in the left storage of the door and use it when needed. It is updated, much more accurate than the Lexus one, and better voice commands. I'll worry about an upgrade when I upgrade cars. Thanks.
Old 10-09-10, 03:57 AM
MGa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question LS430 2005 navigation map from north america to east/west europe challenge

I desited to borrow this thread even though this doesn't have to be updating just changing to a different area map.
I now most of CL users are from America but there are a lot of European users too who tackle with this same problem.

My father got a used LS430 2005 Ultra Luxury+PCS from the states a couple a years back and it came with the north america navigation map like this:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...th_America.jpg

He wanted to get the European maps to work in it and bought some disks from a guy in Poland claiming they had made these map changes to several american model LS430 back in Poland.
The disks that came are original Lexus disks no pirates and look like this.

Program disk for inspection:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...ogram_disc.jpg

Europe West map DVD:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...est_Europe.jpg

and Europe East DVD:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...ast_Europe.jpg

The instructions were to first put the program disk in and after that the europe map.
This didn't work out.
Are the disks for some other generation navi or is there some trick on how to make the switch?
Or does he have to change the whole navigator device to a european spec one like they said in my brothers 2004 RX330?

I also read here in CL someone had somehow combined older version of map software and newer maps to a homemade "burned" DVD-disk.
Would it be possible to put the european map data with the american navigation software on one disk ?

I'm also wondering what is the task for the program disk and what can I do with it?

Any comments and responses are welcome.
Old 10-09-10, 08:19 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MGa
I desited to borrow this thread even though this doesn't have to be updating just changing to a different area map.
I now most of CL users are from America but there are a lot of European users too who tackle with this same problem.

My father got a used LS430 2005 Ultra Luxury+PCS from the states a couple a years back and it came with the north america navigation map like this:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...th_America.jpg

He wanted to get the European maps to work in it and bought some disks from a guy in Poland claiming they had made these map changes to several american model LS430 back in Poland.
The disks that came are original Lexus disks no pirates and look like this.

Program disk for inspection:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...ogram_disc.jpg

Europe West map DVD:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...est_Europe.jpg

and Europe East DVD:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...ast_Europe.jpg

The instructions were to first put the program disk in and after that the europe map.
This didn't work out.
Are the disks for some other generation navi or is there some trick on how to make the switch?
Or does he have to change the whole navigator device to a european spec one like they said in my brothers 2004 RX330?

I also read here in CL someone had somehow combined older version of map software and newer maps to a homemade "burned" DVD-disk.
Would it be possible to put the european map data with the american navigation software on one disk ?

I'm also wondering what is the task for the program disk and what can I do with it?

Any comments and responses are welcome.

My own personal knowledge is limited, so I would have to say, "Go to an authorized Lexus Dealership and get them to assist you in any way they can.

Quick Reply: DIY - Updating your Navigation DVD with new version