DIY - Updating your Navigation DVD with new version

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 08:49 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 8.1 is latest/greatest version to date

Originally Posted by jman-LS430
Nice DIY, thank your wife for all of us. It is hard to tell which version you installed though (hard to read the print). I think the latest is ver 8.x? Override is disabled on the latest based on all the other forum threads on the subject.
I bought the nav update from Sewell. They are offering a $50 discount off the normal list price of $300. If you have version 7.1 and return that to them, they will knock off ANOTHER $50 for a final sale price $200. I know you can find it cheaper on Ebay, but I don't trust anyone on there for fear of piracy/copyright/etc and reading horror stories of "corrupt" disks, etc.

As my 2005 LS had the (most likely original) 4.1 database, I didn't qualify for the 2nd $50 discount from Sewell. I DID actually make out BETTER by selling my 4.1 version on Ebay though, to some nitwit for nearly $60..lol. (hopefully not one of YOU GUYS! LOL!)

For ME, personally, I'd rather have up to date MAPS and up to date PHONE #'s and up to date LISTINGS of restaurants, etc, over the simple and ONLY convenience of being able to do the "nav override" while driving. Jeeze, I'll just pull over if I want to alter my destination or punch in an address that I don't know the route to!

For what it's worth, my old car is a 2002 Acura 3.5RL...which was one of the easiest AND best navigation units to date! (and YES...you could input destinations, etc while the Acura was in motion!!!)

I know there was a lot of road construction in the Delaware/Pa areas, so jumping from 4.1 to 8.1 I'm sure left my LS smiling from ear to ear.
Old 04-28-09, 10:18 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
For what it's worth, my old car is a 2002 Acura 3.5RL...which was one of the easiest AND best navigation units to date! (and YES...you could input destinations, etc while the Acura was in motion!!!)
IMO, the Acura Nav is the best nav on the OEM automobile market. Lexus is second best (those of you that have Eclipse aftermarket will notice the likeness to the Lexus nav). All the other OEM ones from other car manufacturers pale in comparison. Again, all IMO.
Old 04-29-09, 05:22 AM
brio_ls
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few weeks ago i installed the latest map version. The installation was very easy after reading this thread, which is i believe a sticky(thanks for that).

Here is what you can see after new map dvd is inserted...

Old 09-27-09, 12:25 PM
Waasil
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the pictures and for the explinations.

What about those Navigation systems which are using Hard Disk instead of DVD? How can they be upgraded to the newer versions or changing the map regions?

Regards,
Old 09-27-09, 08:37 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And does the newer ver. have new layouts or does everything look the same(options, map) just new streets and POI?
Old 09-27-09, 08:37 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pics of the map anyone?
Old 09-28-09, 08:15 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I went from ver 6 to ver 9 and there is no visual difference, just additional recently completed bypass loop, etc.
Old 09-28-09, 02:17 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Thumbs up Acura has best OEM nav

Originally Posted by jman-LS430
IMO, the Acura Nav is the best nav on the OEM automobile market. All the other OEM ones from other car manufacturers pale in comparison. Again, all IMO.
Without doubt---I agree 1,000%
Old 10-03-09, 02:38 PM
tonystew20
Driver School Candidate

Default Override available overseas

I read the new navigation updates are motion available in Europe & Australia. I guess they don't feel North Americans can handle this
Old 10-19-09, 10:58 PM
sporttn
Driver School Candidate

Hi All, this is a newbie's first post so please accept my apolgies for any break of etiquette. I have installed the new 09 DVD and I can tell no change in the way the roads appear or anything different fron old to new. It come with a booklet that shows updates for previous version (I assume 08). To me it is wasted money as it comes no where close to a Garmin $115.00. I live in a urban area in the south and it is does not come close to what the low end Garmin supplies. I hate having to use a Garmin while a Nav System is in the car, but I also don't like not knowing where I am going either. Besides that my 2001 LS430 is the best car I have ever had.
BTW I upgraded from a 2000 edition I believe. Maybe it will get better when I get in more urban areas.

Last edited by sporttn; 10-21-09 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 04:01 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by sporttn
I have installed the new 09 DVD and I can tell no change in the way the roads appear or anything different fron old to new. BTW I upgraded from a 2000 edition I gelieve. Maybe it will get better when I get in more urban areas.
You won't notice an immediate difference, especially if you don't travel outside of your "usual" area, and there hasn't been any road construction. It all depends on how much construction there's been in your driving territory.

I don't rely on navigation for day to day driving, but for the 3+ hour voyages and day trips or weekend adventures. Set it and just follow the instructions...not to mention I like being able to tell whomever I'm going to visit that, "I'll be there in approximately 1 hr and 11 minutes."

Another feature that's probably waaaaay under utilized is using the system as directory assistance. You can find the address and PHONE #'s of almost any commercial destination. The accuracy and chances of finding that great new italian joint, is increased, naturally, with the more up to date version that you have.

Worst case scenario....look at it this way...just use it 75x in place of your cellphone's 411 and it will have paid for itself...lol.
Old 10-20-09, 04:54 PM
sporttn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Ara,
I am going to replace the subwoofer in the rear deck ($79.99 / speaker & $25.00 installation, much better than $385.00 from Dealer) then head off to New Orleans for Halloween. hopefully I will se some major improvements, but taking the Garmin as a benchmark and back up. Also my thanks to Dave GS4 as it was very simple to upgrade and also the clublexus promo code still works. This forum is great and VERY informative. Now I need now to figure out how to reset the "Home" feature on the Nav.
Even with the old DVD I used the directory asstance and it was great.
I hope I can help others as much as this forum has helped me!

Jim L
'01 LS430 Black on Black
'98 Benz C280
'90 Mazda Miata
'02 GMC Sierra
'82 Chev. C-10 with 4" Lift Kit and Mountain Ready
Old 02-04-10, 02:23 PM
cdcray
Driver School Candidate

Smile Finally - I can do the installation

Thank you folks so much for the excellent instructions. I had Searched and searched for the right words to use to find out how to make the installation. Sometimes you have to just keep trying and you'll find the answers on this forum. Great Forum and my 2002 Lexus is a wonderful car. Moving from Nav version 1.0 to Generation 3 version 9. 6 years of changes. It should really be a big change.
Old 05-02-10, 07:02 PM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tried the new 9.1 disk this weekend...put in the disk and it say incorrect dvd disk...anyone have the same problem?

is authentic lexus disk not copy...

put back the old one it load correctly

the 9.1 came off from a lexus is-f so it works

any ideas?
Old 05-02-10, 07:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

The IS-F navigation is a different generation nav system than in the LS430.

Courtesy Sewell

Generation 5 DVD Disc Generation 4 DVD Disc
Generation 2/3 DVD Disc - 9.1
Old School Hard Drive Update (2005)[/CENTER]

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-02-10 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY - Updating your Navigation DVD with new version