LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Question: A Simple Cell Phone 12V Adapter Mod -- Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 12:32 AM
DrummerK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question: A Simple Cell Phone 12V Adapter Mod -- Maybe?

THE QUESTION:
Does anyone out there know how to easily (and safely, i.e., without damaging anything) remove the ashtray/lighter compartment (see photo, pointer #1), or if that's not possible to separate from the larger console panel (pointer #2), how to remove the whole panel?

IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING WHY I ASK, READ ON!:
I would like to take further advantage of the fact that my Bluetooth-enabled T-Mobile MDA handheld device happens to fit snugly and perfectly into the ashtray/lighter compartment of my '04 LS430 center console, and also keep the MDA powered-up while driving using its 12V auto-adapter. But I really don't want to just plug the unsightly and bulky adapter directly into that outlet; I'd like to basically mod the adapter plug for the MDA to the underside of the ashtray/lighter compartment (i.e., electrically connecting the terminals of the adapter directly to the back-wiring of the 12V socket), such that the adapter is out-of-sight under the console, and then just pull a small portion of the cable & mini-USB tip through the small light hole already in the ashtray section. Hopefully you can "see" what I'm trying to explain!

If I can succeed in getting the panel (or ashtray section) apart, the rest should be very easy. I'd be happy to post photos as a sort-of "mod how-to" later.... And of course, it will be added to my humble list of Mods at the bottom of my sig!

Thanks-in-advance!
Attached Thumbnails Question: A Simple Cell Phone 12V Adapter Mod -- Maybe?-console.gif  
Old 01-26-07, 12:54 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I don’t know, but I have the ashtray, and want to trade it for a storage compartment... if anyone smokers out there want to trade. Let me know.

EDIT: To remove that wooden panel, you insert a screw driver's tip (after covering it with tape so it wouldnt scratch anythign) then pull torwards you from where the cup holders are located. Thats how my 98 was. I have a strong feeling that the '04 is the same way. Just have to be careful when removing the wood, so nothing breaks.
Old 01-29-07, 12:02 AM
DrummerK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RE: Question: A Simple Cell Phone 12V Adapter Mod -- Maybe?

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
...To remove that wooden panel, you insert a screw driver's tip (after covering it with tape so it wouldnt scratch anythign) then pull torwards you from where the cup holders are located. Thats how my 98 was. I have a strong feeling that the '04 is the same way. Just have to be careful when removing the wood, so nothing breaks.
Thanks, Grand! Sorry to sound so ignorant, and not to be persnickety about grammar, but just so I'm absolutely clear on what you're saying: Do you mean to insert the protected tip of the screwdriver somewhere at the back end of the wood panel, nearest the cup holders, then pull upwards (toward the ceiling)? I also assume from what you are saying that the panel is simply held in place via friction/gravity, with no hidden screws or other mechanism I need to worry about? Finally, I take it that I don't need to first remove another panel, such as the small one with the seat cooler/heater control *****, just above the ashtray panel in question?

Can anyone else with actual experience on an '04 (or other pre-'07) please confirm if this method is safe and effective? I'd like to try this on Monday with some degree of assurance that I won't break anything....

Last edited by DrummerK; 01-29-07 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Clarification....