LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Agree or Disagree?: SmartKey System Auto-Lock (Mis-)Behavior...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 04:37 AM
DrummerK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Agree or Disagree?: SmartKey System Auto-Lock (Mis-)Behavior...

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this way, or being a newbie Lexus owner and ClubLexus member I just may be overlooking something, but it seems to me that the general behavior of the SmartKey system in later-year model Lexuses is slightly shortsighted and illogical in terms of fully-intuitive and fully-automatic functionality.

I like the concept that I shouldn't have to ever take my SmartKey FOB out of my pocket, or even to have to touch it under normal usage conditions. Approaching the car and touching the door handle to unlock the door(s), then simply turning the ignition switch to drive is COOL. But getting out of the car and having to manully push the lock button on the door for a few seconds, or alternatively sticking my hand in my pocket to try to find the Lock button on the FOB remote, is NOT COOL (IMHO), since it seems counter-intuitive in the overall "SmartKey" concept. (Again, please understand that I'm looking at this from a logical, intuitive, design perspective; NOT because I'm too lazy to hold in the lock button for a few seconds! )

MY POINT: What I would expect to be able to do with a fully-automatic system is to simply get out of the car, close the door, and walk away while the doors lock automatically after a few seconds (and with the confirmation beep and lights). This shouldn't contradict any safety or foolproof features which currently exist such as the warning beeps when a SmartKey may be left in the car inadvertently, etc.

Does anyone out there agree with me? If so, does anyone know how to program the Lexus to behave as I would expect (as described in the previous paragraph)? I can't seem to find this in the User Manual, etc.
Old 01-10-07, 07:16 AM
BMcD430
Driver

It's working the way it does on mine. One difference, when locking, I only press the button on the outside breifly, I don't need to hold it for a second or two. I would like the option of having it "auto-lock" when walking away. But when I come home and park in the garage, I leave it unlocked. It would be more of pain if it's always locking. But if I had to leave it outside all the time, auto locking would be nice. Check with the dealer and see if the progammable settings have an option. good luck!

Bruce
Old 01-10-07, 07:24 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smart access

To me it is easier to lock it from the inside door lock while you are still in the car
Old 01-10-07, 09:07 AM
DrummerK
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation RE: Agree or Disagree?: SmartKey System Auto-Lock (Mis-)Behavior...

Originally Posted by alredxiii
To me it is easier to lock it from the inside door lock while you are still in the car....
That's fine, and I do appreciate your feedback Aldrexiii, but your comment is not exactly aligned to my original point. Yes, I know I can lock the doors from the inside as I'm getting out of the car, or lock the doors by pressing the square, black button on the outside door handle, or use the SmartKey FOB remote Lock button.

Again, at the risk of belaboring my original point from a design perspective (review "MY POINT" under my first post in this thread), if the concept is that I can basically get into the vehicle without overtly pushing buttons (let alone take a key out of my pocket) -- i.e., the driver doesn't have to even think about keys -- then why not take the SmartKey concept a step further to complete the "automation picture" and allow the driver to leave and secure the vehicle without having to think about it? (Am I being too "geeky" to even suggest such a concept? )

Now, I will add here and offer that Lexus as an entity will probably state officially that there is a liability issue involved in my idea, because of scenarios where a child or valuable object can be inadvertently left in the car, etc., etc., (legalese ad nauseum) -- situations where Lexus would not want to be held responsible in this overly-litigious society -- but then, on the other side of the coin, I see this as a end-user style and choice issue (akin to the "Nav Override" or "I-wanna-watch-DVDs-on-the-Nav-screen" threads elsewhere in ClubLexus forums).

I'm confident that my idea is technically feasible. It's then, IMHO, a matter of knowing an undocumented user setting, option, hack, work-around, etc., in programming the behavior of the SmartKey system so that it automatically locks without driver interaction of any kind other than to simply close the door and step away from the car.

Still willing to hear others' opinions on this! Thanks, all!

Last edited by DrummerK; 01-10-07 at 09:28 AM. Reason: e.g.
Old 01-10-07, 09:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ummm, i could be wrong so correct me.

i don't know about the 04-06 ls430, but i believe in the new lexus (3gs, 2is, and 4ls), if you shut down the car and walk away with your keys for like 100 ft and then the doors would be locked?
Old 01-10-07, 09:48 AM
DrummerK
Driver School Candidate

Default RE: Agree or Disagree?: SmartKey System Auto-Lock (Mis-)Behavior...

Originally Posted by rominl
ummm, i could be wrong so correct me.

i don't know about the 04-06 ls430, but i believe in the new lexus (3gs, 2is, and 4ls), if you shut down the car and walk away with your keys for like 100 ft and then the doors would be locked?
OK, thanks rominl, so if that's true, then it at least validates my idea! So then a follow-on question would be, is that feature/function an end-user switchable option in the new Lexus?
Old 01-10-07, 02:49 PM
buggs384
Driver

I have an 04...If I use the remote to unlock the car from the house, by the time I get to the car its locked again. I have to walk like 60 feet to the garage. FYI.
Old 01-10-07, 09:09 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

It will auto lock a car that was unlocked and not enterted just in case you accidentally unlocked it unknowingly. My 04 LS doesn't auto lock however and yes I would like it to do so!
Old 01-10-07, 11:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, auto lock after you unlock for a while that feature has been there for years, even my 98 GS has that

but the one about walking away and locking the car automatically, i really don't know for the 04-06 ls430. maybe you can check with the dealer on the cbest settings?
Old 01-11-07, 08:21 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Default smart key

When you are walking up to the car with the keys and put your hand around the handle more than likely you want the car unlocked when you exit sometimes you might not want the car locked
Old 01-12-07, 05:15 AM
DrummerK
Driver School Candidate

Cool RE: smart key

Originally Posted by alredxiii
When you are walking up to the car with the keys and put your hand around the handle more than likely you want the car unlocked when you exit sometimes you might not want the car locked
Ummmm, alredxiii.... (I'll try to be patient and gentle!) Twice now, you've stated things that are rather obvious, and kind of besides the point, IMHO. PLEASE stay with the thought process, here, good buddy. Let me clarify by stating my original POINT yet another way (*sigh*):
IF you want to be able to lock the car automatically while walking away,
THEN there should be the option to be able to do so.
My quest herein is to try to find out what that option/method is, because obviously I (along with a few others who agree with me) do want that feature!

UPDATE: Bruce (thanks, BMcD430!) had a good suggestion the other day when I first posted my question, which was to ask the local dealer about this. I finally had the time to do so, and I also called the Lexus customer service hotline. Both entities said they do agree with my thinking from a usability standpoint; however, the dealer service manager I spoke with further said that Lexus would not be "officially" telling me how that option might be implemented although technically feasible, basically due to liability issues (just as I thought and stated earlier in this thread). The Lexus hotline, on the other hand, at least went a step further and took my contact information, saying they would get back to me in a few days after checking with their tech guys (whom, of course, I wasn't "allowed" to speak to directly ). For now, it's wait-and-see, but if anyone out there has the "unofficial" solution, or another constructive idea on other resources, please do tell!

Last edited by DrummerK; 01-12-07 at 05:20 AM. Reason: i.e.