List of differences in model years

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 05:49 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of differences in model years

Okay,

So i'm debating about purchasing an LS430. My brother leased a 2001 so I am a little familiar with the car and have done some research already. I wanted to know if there was a detailed list out there to refference the changes in the LS model as the years progressed. Specifically from 2000-2004.

I really love the 04', but is just out side of the budget I'd like to work with.
I'm considering a 2001 that seems to run about 10k less (25k range) with similar miles.
Old 01-03-07, 06:05 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Go to lexus.com and click the Certified Pre owned for the Model linrary and do it the old fashioned way, print it out and put them side by side.
Old 01-03-07, 06:19 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Many items were not listed under that website for whats new in '04 like 6-speed tranny... etc.

projector Headlights,
LED tails
6-speed
new wheels
bluetooth
Rear view cam
white gauge needles
new fenders, bumpers, grille, and hood.
Gen 4 navigation

Among others i cant remember.
Old 01-03-07, 09:28 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Grand's right, I swore it was there when I did my research before purchasing an 04 LS Ultra. If you Google it, there will be many articles describing the differences. Also, Motor Trend had a great article in September of 2004 in which the Lexus came in second place behind an Audi A8 and above the BMW 745i Sport, Mercedes S430 and Jaguar Vanden Plas. That did it for me.
Old 01-03-07, 10:57 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

It would be nice if there was a break down of what each paticular car has highlighted.

What about smart key(you keep the key fob in your pocket correct to unlock and start correct? how about the trunk access?) and the push button start. That was 04' corect?

How does eveyone like the moving headlights vs the 00-03's?

Changes/advancements in voice recongnition through the years? Any year better than before?

Any major issues to watch out for when buying as LS (thats not covered in a recall like the 06's tranny?)
Old 01-04-07, 01:55 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Grand's right, I swore it was there when I did my research before purchasing an 04 LS Ultra. If you Google it, there will be many articles describing the differences. Also, Motor Trend had a great article in September of 2004 in which the Lexus came in second place behind an Audi A8 and above the BMW 745i Sport, Mercedes S430 and Jaguar Vanden Plas. That did it for me.
Yes, after Lexus redid thier site, we lost lots of good info from the Model Libarary. (along with other stuff)

I personally liked thier older site better... both in format, and texture.
Old 01-04-07, 02:00 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by bigcory
It would be nice if there was a break down of what each paticular car has highlighted.

What about smart key(you keep the key fob in your pocket correct to unlock and start correct? how about the trunk access?) and the push button start. That was 04' corect?

How does eveyone like the moving headlights vs the 00-03's?

Changes/advancements in voice recongnition through the years? Any year better than before?

Any major issues to watch out for when buying as LS (thats not covered in a recall like the 06's tranny?)
Smart key was added on the later '04's. Trunk access is there if you don’t get the ultra (then you would have a cooler instead).

'04 headlight projectors puts almost every other HID system to shame... you don’t really miss the sun anymore.

Not sure about voice recognition, but its not that great to be honest. However, everything is so easy to use, and within reach, I've never really had to use the voice commands... except for fun... example "I’m hungry" will make the Navi display all the restaurants around

Actually, the '04's had the recalled tranny, and as long as you are under warranty, you should be fine. Jus t make sure you find one that has not been in any accidents.
Old 01-04-07, 07:03 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

I will. I purchased a 2k Pontiac Grand Prix when I was 20. I loved the car, it was great. It was fun to drive and had a bit of gadgets and enough luxary for my young behind. Now i'm a little older and with a 100k, that car is a little older as well. It was hit about 5 years ago and although it runs fine, has not been the same. Plus AC/Heater stopped working and it's colder than **** in the mornings!

What is the best way to avoid purchasing a car that has been in a wreck. Would it be best to take to a mechanic or maybe a good body shop?
Old 01-05-07, 12:14 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

I will. I purchased a 2k Pontiac Grand Prix when I was 20. I loved the car, it was great. It was fun to drive and had a bit of gadgets and enough luxary for my young behind. Now i'm a little older and with a 100k, that car is a little older as well. It was hit about 5 years ago and although it runs fine, has not been the same. Plus AC/Heater stopped working and it's colder than **** in the mornings!

What is the best way to avoid purchasing a car that has been in a wreck. Would it be best to take to a mechanic or maybe a good body shop?
CHECK FOR VIN STICKERS. That would be your best bet. Every panel should have one. Except for the trunk.. im not sure where that one resides. (but im sure it exists.)
Old 01-06-07, 08:58 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

if your going to buy a lexus, take it to the lexus dealer and tell them you want them to do a prepurchase inspection, it'll run about 125 but well worth the piece of mind and lack of big expensive repair bills to get things back to normal.

Dont rush it by the way, it's just a car and if you look long enough, you'll find a great deal on a nice one that has been taken care of...

also look for reciepts for maintenance that match the maintenance schedule, if your questioning what that is, go to a a dealer and tell them you want some assistance, and since your considering buying a lexus, your looking for a place to service it long term...