LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just purchased an 02 ls ultra

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 07:58 PM
MInotauro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased an 02 ls ultra

Hey guys, I just purchased a white 02 lexus LS with the ultra package, it has 31,000 miles on it now ( I just got home since I flew into texas to pick it up and drove 1200 miles back ). Anyway the car performs like a dream and all I can say is wow, my previous car was a 03 gs-300 and let me just say the LS is light years ahead.

I have a few questions, first of all can the mark levinson system be adjusted for things like base or trebble, I checked the navi screen but couldn't find anything. Also since this car is an 02 its out of warranty, but should I still take it to lexus to get maintenance? or will that be to expansive, I read somewhere that they tighten up the drive train or something like that. Oh and does anyone know how I can automatically close the trunk? I tried holding the trunk button but that didn't work anyway here are some pics, I will start to mod her soon but first I have to enjoy it first.

Old 09-07-06, 09:40 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase!

There should be a Sound button in the audio screen, this will take you to the balance and tone controls.

The trunk does not autoclose per say, but if you close it gently it will catch and motor itself shut (like the doors). No need to slam anything on this car.

If you go to www.lexus.com and register you can download the service history for your car, which tells you what happens on each service. The advantage of going to a Lexus dealer (at least for your first service) is that they can tell you what services have also been done.

The dealers are more expensive, but not as bad as you might think....call around and ask, the big advantage of dealer service is the free Lexus loaner car. Most services are basically an oil change and tire rotation; but the schedule will tell you whats required.

Enjoy your car!
Old 09-08-06, 12:15 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice car..congrats
Old 09-08-06, 08:00 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Cant go wrong with an Ultra, love the color as well, and welcome to Club Lexus
Old 09-08-06, 08:43 AM
MInotauro
Driver School Candidate

Thank's alot guys!. I'm still confused on the mark levinson system, for example where are the 2 extra speakers that make it 11 speakers total?, I counted 2 on the dash, 2 on the front doors, 2 on the rear doors, 2 on the rear deck and the sub, that makes 9, but the other 2 seem to be eluding me
Old 09-08-06, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think the 01-03 and the 04-06 ML systems are all the same. if so, you can learn a lot more here

http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/overview.asp?model=ls

edit: although from your discription it sounds like they are different

either way, more than likely inside one of the speaker grille there are two speakers?
Old 09-08-06, 11:39 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

MInotauro

I can not say congrats enough. You have just bough one amazing car.

I can not stress enough to take your car to the dealer. Many people here will give you many opinions. Its very hard because everyone has a different experience at the same dealer. I go to JM Lexus (South Florida) and they have exceeded my every wish for years now. They have definitely repaired more things for me under their "Good Will" warranty than I have spent in service. Now I have two Lexus and I take them in EVERY 5k miles. I put about 12k - 15k miles a year on each, so I'm there allot.

They spoil me rotten. Because my service guy and his manager treat me so well I get them little tokens of my appreciation from time to time . I even give them a xmas gift each year. How many people buy Lexus then go to get it service and expect to be treated like royalty and treat the service guys like servants ( I see it all the time at my Dealer). I treat my guys with respect. Also sound crazy but I always was my car before I take it in for service. If the mechanic see you car about the car well so will he.

Now what do I call a token of my appreciation, I give him a $25 or a $50 gift certificate to a restaurant. Not cash, why because now he is forced to go for dinner and take his significant other. She (or He) will be happy and ask where did that come from, guess what he will remember you and your car will stick out from the others. I do not do this every time, but I am picky with my car and when they go above and beyond I take care of them. It has paid off TEN-fold for me. This is exactly why I have not upgraded my cars. They are perfectly maintained, they run perfect.

Also just so you know Lexus has an UNWRITTEN true warranty, basically anything that happen under 100k miles out of the ordinary they will more than likely cover under their "Good Will" warranty IF you take you car in for ALL its service.

Some people may jump in here and tell you other wise. All I can say this is the case for me. I have had three Lexus cars and could not be happier. I will definitely buy two more when the time come to replace them. My wife's love the new GS350 ( I have one as a loaner right now, brand new with only 17 miles on it) We have driven the '06 GS300 many times. She does not like the new RX350.

I am drewling for the new LS460 but a little pricey.

Jerry
Old 09-08-06, 12:40 PM
MInotauro
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice Romin and Horta. I actually found the audio controls and the base seems to be much stronger then my previous gs-3's pioneer system. I will probably take the car to get serviced soon, it only has 31 k miles on it but I think a peace of mind is worth a few extra dollars. All in all I'm very happy I waited and got the LS with the ultra package, this car is just a blast to drive. This is a great website and I hope to contribute here in the near future.
Old 09-08-06, 03:17 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats man, I have the very same vehicle aside from the color. White is a good choice. How much did you pay?
Old 09-08-06, 07:36 PM
MInotauro
Driver School Candidate

Yea the leather in this car is amazing, It's actually holding up better then the gray leather I had on my gs. I paid $32,700, I think I got a great deal, I missed one just like this one for 30K and it was an 03, it was also in Texas but its ok I got this one . The ML system on this car is unbelivable, its better then my bose system at home.
Old 09-10-06, 01:32 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW i want one. 33k is good for such a low mileage example. LUCKY!
Old 09-10-06, 06:46 PM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice purchase. That color combo is pretty cool.