LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)

Old 01-23-08, 08:45 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just tried again but no go she does not want to come out. Honestly this little thing is pissing me off.. LOL.. Back in the day I use to install thousands of dollars worth of stereo equipment in cars but this little thing is really bugging me..

If would be so kind to post pics it would be most appreciated!!

I'll pop by the dealership near my work to see if they wouldn't mind giving me some assistance without wanting to charge me.. Dealership should be doing this for free I am still under the 4 year - 80,000 kms Lexus Warranty.

Thank you again for your help!!!!
Old 01-24-08, 09:41 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2SAVVY
Just tried again but no go she does not want to come out. Honestly this little thing is pissing me off.. LOL.. Back in the day I use to install thousands of dollars worth of stereo equipment in cars but this little thing is really bugging me..

I'll pop by the dealership near my work to see if they wouldn't mind giving me some assistance without wanting to charge me.. Dealership should be doing this for free I am still under the 4 year - 80,000 kms Lexus Warranty.

Thank you again for your help!!!!
Hey, spend $10 and get the instruction from here https://techinfo.toyota.com/ All you can download for a day. Another member (Scottmcc) was using this and some of the details available was great. I hate taking things apart without knowing how many screws are holding something back and then breaking it because I had missed one. If you decide to use it, let me know as I need some instructions on removing the passenger side vent/wood trim to access behind the glovebox (so we can install the Datassystem when it comes time )

PS: Ordering the controller today
Old 01-24-08, 09:41 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Ok finally got this done.. Here are the steps:

PUSH BRAKE LIGHT HOUSING DOWN - SLIDE TO THE LEFT (towards passenger side) about 1/4" to 1/2" then LIFT UP slightly and pull TOWARDS you then the rest is straightforward. REMEMBER to LIFT up just a little as the clips break easily.

Many thanks to teamplayer and the Lexus tech today who helped me out..

Ken
Old 01-24-08, 11:43 AM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you got it out and done man.

Don't wanna give the popo's a reason to pull you over.
Old 01-26-08, 05:08 AM
brianrio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This worked great. Bought the part at autozone Sylvania 7440 for $5.99 and followed the instructions here. Light works and no more annoying failure warning on the dash. Thanks all!
Old 04-25-09, 10:43 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I've read this thread, and others, in their entirety. I STILL need some assistance with replacing the center brake light!

I can push the entire center brake housing about 1mm towards the passenger side of the car, and that's about IT! I read also the tabs are fragile and break easily. I don't want that to happen, obviously. I have pushed and pushed, but it ONLY moves about 1mm to the left (passenger side). What the heck am I missing here? I have tried pulling up on the housing facing the cabin, without any luck.

It doesn't help that it's about 80degrees here today, and my finger tips and wrists are being BURNED by the hot housing, and also the metal frame part of the rear privacy curtain!!!

I just received my 3 watt LED bulb, and I'm dying to install it.

Can someone assist..better yet, snap a couple photos?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-26-09, 02:53 PM
brio_ls
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I just received my 3 watt LED bulb, and I'm dying to install it.
Subscribed

BTW, i wish someone makes a plug&play LED kit for the 3rd brake light...
Old 04-26-09, 07:21 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Here is what I bought (red 7440)....and paying $25 for a bulb, I need my head examined!.. Still need guidance on how to move the brake light fixture to the passenger side?.....any takers?...

- 744x series 3-Watt LED Wedge bulb
- Super Bright 3-Watt High Power LED 12VDC
- 16mm Single (7440) or Dual (7443) Intensity wedge base bulb
- Brightest LED Tail Light bulb on the market BRIGHTER THAN MOST STOCK
TAIL LAMP BULBS!
- Super Wide 130 Degree Viewing Angle
- Select Base type & LED Color
$ 24.95
Attached Thumbnails How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)-bulbs.jpg  
Old 04-27-09, 05:27 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Beyonce...

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Here is what I bought (red 7440)....and paying $25 for a bulb, I need my head examined!.. Still need guidance on how to move the brake light fixture to the passenger side?.....any takers?...
Like Beyonce says... MOVE IT TO THE LEFT !!! If you say you "moved" it only 1 mm, then either it's already been moved over and all you need is to start flipping the cover up, or you need to put some more muscle into it. The unit as others have noted is "sensitive" and be careful not to break the pins, but at the same time, it's not brittle like glass. Just make sure you give it some down pressure while pushing to the left and if it doesn't move anymore, then I would say it's at the full left.

Are you going to put a load resister with the LED, or you're going to just live with the "blown light" indicator on? I just got a light myself (still being shipped) along with the resistor so once I get it on, I'll post some pictures.
Old 04-27-09, 03:47 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Karate for good... not for evil...

Like I said... step one, do a nice firm open handed karate chop to the left. It should move about 1/2 inch, very little, but once it does move, then lift straight up and out.
Attached Thumbnails How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)-img_1164.jpg  
Old 04-27-09, 03:49 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Now for the removal of bulb...

Just turn counter-clockwise and it'll stop and pop right out.
Attached Thumbnails How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)-img_1165.jpg  
Old 04-27-09, 03:51 PM
AlexusAnja

Default These are the "sensitive" pins

the four circles are where the retaining pins are located. There are four plastic pins, and not "too soft" but I guess if you karate chop on KILL, they might break off.
Attached Thumbnails How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)-img_1166.jpg  
Old 04-27-09, 03:54 PM
AlexusAnja

Default This is the bulb

The LED bulb I got at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=

and supposedly 30 surface mounted LED, but I did not count, but there are a lot. And you get two.
Attached Thumbnails How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)-img_1163.jpg  
Old 04-27-09, 03:56 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Installation

Installation is reverse and then you're done. I thought I would need the load resistor, but when I tested, the "blown light" did not come on. So, I either have a bad indicator, or this LED does not trigger the indicator. Very strange, but who knows... it didn't trigger for me.
Attached Thumbnails How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)-img_1168.jpg  
Old 04-27-09, 03:59 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok I have to do this mod and Alex please post pics of how it looks!

By the LED bulb being red dose it match the tails or would a white LED match up better?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)