LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 Ls430 Nav screen does not dim at night

Old 05-15-06, 01:20 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts
Default 2001 Ls430 Nav screen does not dim at night

Hi everyone ! (In Dr. Nick's voice)

I had to have an adjustment from the dealer on the cover of my nav screen (it would vibrate when driving). For some reason now, When the auto headlights come on, the screen does not dim. So when your driving at night, it's as brite as can be.

I am talking when the background of the maps go black, it does not do that any more. I'm wondering if it's a setting or when they pulled the nav screen and replaced it, they missed a wire.

Thoughts ?
Old 05-15-06, 01:34 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidinRI
Hi everyone ! (In Dr. Nick's voice)

I had to have an adjustment from the dealer on the cover of my nav screen (it would vibrate when driving). For some reason now, When the auto headlights come on, the screen does not dim. So when your driving at night, it's as brite as can be.

I am talking when the background of the maps go black, it does not do that any more. I'm wondering if it's a setting or when they pulled the nav screen and replaced it, they missed a wire.

Thoughts ?
Mine will actually stay on bright as long as it is not Too dark outside. When I do go over a bridge, it will/tunnel at dusk, it will temporarily switch to the dark background and go back to light background when I get back in the light.

I think it has more to do with the LIGHT SENSOR than a wire..

Good luck
Mike
Old 05-15-06, 02:03 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SILVERGS3
Mine will actually stay on bright as long as it is not Too dark outside. When I do go over a bridge, it will/tunnel at dusk, it will temporarily switch to the dark background and go back to light background when I get back in the light.

I think it has more to do with the LIGHT SENSOR than a wire..

Good luck
Mike

Mike,

Mine used to work fine, when the headlights came on (at that darkness level), the nav screen would adjust as well (go to black backgrounds).

I could be driving at midnight now, it still is very brite just like when your driving during the day. It's actually hard to drive because it's so brite.

Also to note, the headlights turn on fine at the dusk or when it starts to get dark. No problems with that part...

Is there a setting for the nav screen somewhere ??? Or is this something for me to bring back to the dealer and say "please fix it"
Old 05-15-06, 02:14 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

No one is going to mention the dasd board dimmer dial to the left of the sterring wheel? You may have it all the way dialed to the right.
The following users liked this post:
ElCamerino (03-03-24)
Old 05-15-06, 02:39 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by JLAWS
No one is going to mention the dasd board dimmer dial to the left of the sterring wheel? You may have it all the way dialed to the right.
Funny, one night driving, I moved that **** all the way to to right, the nav screeen still went to black backgrounds when it was dark out....

I'll try it tonight when it gets dark, but, I don't think that will fix this...

any other ideas or should be calling the dealer ?
Old 05-15-06, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Funny, one night driving, I moved that **** all the way to to right, the nav screeen still went to black backgrounds when it was dark out....

I'll try it tonight when it gets dark, but, I don't think that will fix this...

any other ideas or should be calling the dealer ?
yeah i think that's the problem. if the dial is set to brightest (there should be a click), then the nav will stay bright all the time. as long as it doesn't click, the night mode could be activated
Old 05-16-06, 04:55 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah i think that's the problem. if the dial is set to brightest (there should be a click), then the nav will stay bright all the time. as long as it doesn't click, the night mode could be activated
I tried it tonight, It does not change anything with the acutal nav screen, it does change the button lights around the whole dash but, the nav screen does not change.

I'll take it that there is not a setting and call the dealer...unless anyone else has an idea ??
Old 05-17-06, 01:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I tried it tonight, It does not change anything with the acutal nav screen, it does change the button lights around the whole dash but, the nav screen does not change.

I'll take it that there is not a setting and call the dealer...unless anyone else has an idea ??
well if you
1) set the night time settings to be enabled on the nav system (different yr has different setup), and
2) you don't put it all the way to the right on the dial

then the night settings should work. if it doesn't, my guess is something is wrong with the system
Old 05-17-06, 06:30 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
well if you
1) set the night time settings to be enabled on the nav system (different yr has different setup), and
2) you don't put it all the way to the right on the dial

then the night settings should work. if it doesn't, my guess is something is wrong with the system
I looked around the menu, screen setup only has brite and contrast or screen off. No other settings for the screen.

I found out something else today, When I went in reverse before, the side mirrors would go down so you could see the curb. It no longer does that. When they pulled the battery on my car to adjust the nav, they must of reset everything. Is there a way to program it with out having to visit the dealer ?
Old 05-17-06, 10:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I looked around the menu, screen setup only has brite and contrast or screen off. No other settings for the screen.

I found out something else today, When I went in reverse before, the side mirrors would go down so you could see the curb. It no longer does that. When they pulled the battery on my car to adjust the nav, they must of reset everything. Is there a way to program it with out having to visit the dealer ?
umm i don't havet he 01 ls430 so i can't say exactly where the setting is on the nav

about the mirror, is the mirror adjustment either on the right or left? if it's in the middle the mirror won't tilt down
The following users liked this post:
ElCamerino (03-03-24)
Old 03-14-14, 11:22 AM
tahiles
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resurrecting an old thread hoping for new input.

06 Nav just got stuck in Day Mode last night. Dimmer switch is NOT turned up all the way.

Nav User Manual says you'll see a "Day Mode" button on the screen settings at night....UNLESS the dimmer is turned up all the way......then the "Day Mode" will not display.

Well the "Day Mode" isn't displaying and the whole center stack (Nav Buttons, Radio Buttons, Shifter Back lights...etc...) are all turned off as though it thinks the car is in day mode.

Could someone verify this for me.....at night, turn the dimmer switch all the way up and see if the center stack lights turn off.

I "think" my problem might be the dimmer rheostat......any input or previous experience appreciated......