LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

With LS460 on its way, as LS430 owners, how will it feel being the older body style?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 02:23 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile With LS460 on its way, as LS430 owners, how will it feel being the older body style?

It just came to me that we will (LS430 owners) be old body style car owners soon. Who would have thought in 2000 when the Lexus dealers showed of the current model, it would get to 2007 so fast for the complete body change and no carry overs. I love my 2001, but wonder if I'll feel outdated when seeing the new body style while driving downVirginia Beach Blvd. It wont make me buy a new one though(I hope) . What about you guys who own LS430's, will you buy or trade up? Also I know they did a few tweeks after the 2004 models (headlights and tailights among other changes) I mean the complete change like the GS has done from the previous model. This will be the first complete change of the LS (outside of the 6-speed) or significant change in a while. Will our LS430's look completely outdated. Or will they have a classic feel and look of the LS400 (1990-2000) I really hope we get that classic tag placed on us and not worst of the generations.GOD IS GOOD!

Last edited by usermel; 04-24-06 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 04-24-06, 08:48 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to trade up, I'd get the 2004. That by far is my most fav body design. So much potential. wald has so many nice options to dress up that car. But actually, I still like my 2001. It has its own personality.. more of an executive styling rather than a sporty style compared to the 2004.
Old 04-24-06, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have gs400 and i don't feel bad at all with all the 3gs on the road. i think if you like your car enough then you can see the "value" in it and not worry about what's ahead of you.
Old 04-25-06, 10:37 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry not an LS430 owner, but am an LS400 owner.

I think the current 3rd gen LS430 owners should be proud that thier cars still possess some of the Japanese car design thats been lost on some of the newer cars.

I mean Ive seen some of the newer GS' on the road and I sometimes mistake it for another car!!

I just wish Japanese car designers go back and look at where they came from and design thier cars with a little more personality and the same passion as before and not make it look like everything else out there.

Instead of them making waves with thier designs, they are just becoming more like lemmings and looking at thier German counterparts for ideas.

So I say 3rd Gen. LS430 owners would be happy to say that thier cars will not be mistaken for another "Bangle design copy".
Old 04-25-06, 11:25 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Pagong.

I agree. I never looked at it that way, though I'm passionate about the old ways Lexus does thing just being updated and not trashed like I have noticed lately. Your right I never know when its a GS300/430 at times, I think its a BMW or Benz. I guess in 5 years when the whole line-up has changed and a couple of years have went by, then will be usta the new designs. I guess LS430 owners can be proud and avoid being left behind with new LS460 coming and the legendary LS400 speaks for itself. The LS430 I fear will become a middle child. Almost like Lexus was figuring out what the LS model should be. I guess now they figured it out with LS460/600 new models. GOD IS GOOD.
Old 04-25-06, 02:19 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I think the LS is such an obscure vehicle to the masses that it doesn't matter. I do not think non "car people identify the models, just the make and the doors (ie, Lexus 4door, Lexus little 4 door, Lexus jeep). I think the GS is probaby the most recognize model by name.

I say this because people routinely ask if our 2000 LS is a 2006
Old 04-25-06, 03:12 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Woooo!

Originally Posted by rominl
i have gs400 and i don't feel bad at all with all the 3gs on the road. i think if you like your car enough then you can see the "value" in it and not worry about what's ahead of you.
Great point, I just read your post today. That is so true. You never think about a new car as much until you go to the dealer and get in one then your tempted. Somewhat like new shoes, when you see them you want them even when shoes are not damaged. Kinda like getting usta seeing something thats great and not appreciating it enough till its gone. I guess Joni Mitchell(Big Yellow Taxi:from Album 1970) truly earned her way in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame just like I thought.(GOD IS GOOD)
Old 04-25-06, 09:08 PM
350g
Driver

I don't sweat it . . . I think the 430s design stands out from the crowd. Once I customize it to my liking, I know it will be a rare find (in Lexington, KY at least ). The newer version seems too sleek to me and may be mistaken . . .

G
Old 04-25-06, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by usermel
Great point, I just read your post today. That is so true. You never think about a new car as much until you go to the dealer and get in one then your tempted. Somewhat like new shoes, when you see them you want them even when shoes are not damaged. Kinda like getting usta seeing something thats great and not appreciating it enough till its gone. I guess Joni Mitchell(Big Yellow Taxi:from Album 1970) truly earned her way in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame just like I thought.(GOD IS GOOD)
yup exactly imho it's more about how much you love your car than how good the newer car is
Old 04-25-06, 11:05 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I think the LS is such an obscure vehicle to the masses that it doesn't matter. I do not think non "car people identify the models, just the make and the doors (ie, Lexus 4door, Lexus little 4 door, Lexus jeep). I think the GS is probaby the most recognize model by name.
The thing with past LS' is that when you see one, you know that they are a Lexus and they are the LS series...even when you are not an auto junkie like us. Heck, my wife can sometimes see an LS430 and ID it before I do.

PRESENCE is what the LS400 and LS430 symbolizes..the new LS460 doesnt scream that...it screams...SHEEP....baaa baaa!!! I will follow where the flock goes...baaa baaa!!

Lemmings I tell you!
Old 04-25-06, 11:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^
I think and hope that the LS 460 will have the same kind of dynamic presence the LS 400s and 430s have.
Old 04-26-06, 09:10 AM
dewalt
Driver School Candidate

I think the current style still has that tank look to it, from the front. The new style seems to lose a bit of it, but not too much.

It reminds me of how they changed the S-class from that tank in the mid 90s to the finesse look now.
Old 04-26-06, 09:41 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Hay Pagong!

Originally Posted by Pagong
The thing with past LS' is that when you see one, you know that they are a Lexus and they are the LS series...even when you are not an auto junkie like us. Heck, my wife can sometimes see an LS430 and ID it before I do.

PRESENCE is what the LS400 and LS430 symbolizes..the new LS460 doesnt scream that...it screams...SHEEP....baaa baaa!!! I will follow where the flock goes...baaa baaa!!

Lemmings I tell you!
That was a funny post you just made bro. Haha haha. I didnt think about it like that, but I have said that I feel the new LS was becoming to much like the big two (BMW 7series,Benz S-class) makes. I will still support Lexus anyway for there ability to still be at least more reliable than there competitors. Great post Pagong! GOD IS GOOD.
Old 05-01-06, 03:14 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the '04+ LS430's still look sexy as hell, and will do for a long time to come. Kind of like when the '01 LS430 came out, the 98-00 Model never looked old, or outdated as the LS430 was introduced. It just looked so different; most people thought they were different cars.
Old 05-01-06, 12:11 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree. I'm concerned that the new LS is going to look like all the other Japanese sedans, just the way the new GS and IS kinda do. I hope it doesn't, but from the photos I've seen.....

Originally Posted by Pagong

Lemmings I tell you!

Quick Reply: With LS460 on its way, as LS430 owners, how will it feel being the older body style?