LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Does it work?? Did it ever break??Repaired??
Yes it Broke and had it reapired....
27.55%
NO. The Suspension works like a charm...
66.42%
YES, my AIR CONTROLLER broke it...
6.04%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here

Old 04-22-15, 06:20 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeyb
Recently started to hear a creaking noise when turning wheels completely left or right while stopped. Is this ball joints ? Thanks. Ps this is a 2001 LS430 ultra with air ride.
Most likely bushing are making the "creaking" noise. If the car kind of stumbles on itself when turning left or right this can be a sign of a worn ball joint. Mine did this. If your lower control arm bushing have never been done these are almost always first to go.
Old 04-22-15, 10:11 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Aftermarket air shocks will not work with the oem system. I was worried about the bags failing when I purchased my ul and found a nice used set on eBay for less then $500. They have been in storage for a year now. But I guess it's nice to have them. 119k and counting.

That's a really good price. I don't see any deals like this now on ebay
Old 04-22-15, 10:37 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by aypues
That's a really good price. I don't see any deals like this now on ebay
Yeah it was a really good price. They were asking for a lot more but had the "make an offer" option and he took it. I probably searched every other day over the course of a month or two every and it popped up. They are still sitting unused after almost 3 years too.

That's actually a good thing but it shows the paranoia was for no reason whatsoever.
Old 04-22-15, 11:16 AM
Rexor20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is $500 still a good price for a set of OEM air?

I have 100k miles on mine and am thinking about switching to aftermarket air. I figure I might as well sell the stock units.
Old 04-22-15, 01:39 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rexor20
Is $500 still a good price for a set of OEM air?

I have 100k miles on mine and am thinking about switching to aftermarket air. I figure I might as well sell the stock units.
I would think condition and amount of mileage on the units makes a big difference. The set I purchased came off an 05 with only 53k miles on them.

Edit: I went back and found my eBay receipt. I actually payed a little more then I quoted earlier. It was $550 shipped. Original asking price was $850

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-22-15 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-26-15, 07:16 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, I have a question and been a member for many many years, but its been awhile since I've come back on here. Right now i'm having an issue with my factory air suspension.

My car is really low and won't raise, basically feels like it has no air in the front back. I have the Data Controller, but for some reason that is no longer making my car go up. I tried to put it on setting 4 and on the Data controller screen its telling me that the car is trying to raise with the arrows pointing up- but its not actually doing anything and the compressor isn't coming on. I'm not sure if Data Controllers go bad? or if they can go bad? Also I have a feeling it could be a wire connection issue to the Data Controller?

I tried to manually power up the factory air compressor, when i did that....the car wouldn't raise, so i'm not sure if the ECU needs to be told to open the line so that air can go through. (hope this is making sense) Is there a way that this can be done manually?

Any advise would def. help......I just actually replaced the two front air suspension with used ones and without any air in it...it rides really bumpy. I just wanna figure out a way to raise the car back up, otherwise i'll be forced to go to factory springs/struts
Old 04-27-15, 08:23 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by junjdm
Ok, I have a question and been a member for many many years, but its been awhile since I've come back on here. Right now i'm having an issue with my factory air suspension.

My car is really low and won't raise, basically feels like it has no air in the front back. I have the Data Controller, but for some reason that is no longer making my car go up. I tried to put it on setting 4 and on the Data controller screen its telling me that the car is trying to raise with the arrows pointing up- but its not actually doing anything and the compressor isn't coming on. I'm not sure if Data Controllers go bad? or if they can go bad? Also I have a feeling it could be a wire connection issue to the Data Controller?

I tried to manually power up the factory air compressor, when i did that....the car wouldn't raise, so i'm not sure if the ECU needs to be told to open the line so that air can go through. (hope this is making sense) Is there a way that this can be done manually?

Any advise would def. help......I just actually replaced the two front air suspension with used ones and without any air in it...it rides really bumpy. I just wanna figure out a way to raise the car back up, otherwise i'll be forced to go to factory springs/struts
The first thing I would do is remove your controller and reset the car and see how she acts. If it throws a code. A bad or misconfigured height sensor could cause this too. Sounds like it is not setup right.
Old 05-05-15, 09:00 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

The first thing I would do is remove your controller and reset the car and see how she acts. If it throws a code. A bad or misconfigured height sensor could cause this too. Sounds like it is not setup right.
What do you mean by reset the car? How would I go about doing that?
Old 05-06-15, 06:36 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

What do you mean by reset the car? How would I go about doing that?
Pull the negative on the battery for 15 seconds and reconnect.
Old 05-06-15, 07:57 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what do you mean by reset the car? How would i go about doing that?
ctrl-alt-del
Old 05-06-15, 09:53 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Pull the negative on the battery for 15 seconds and reconnect.
Ive done that.....and nothing happens
Old 05-09-15, 07:52 AM
Saucana6
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air suspension needed

Hi everyone , I has an 04 UL LS430 with 242k miles and need a front driver air suspension , If someone had one please PM me , thanks .

Last edited by Saucana6; 05-09-15 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-13-15, 11:44 AM
Saucana6
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front air suspension needed

Hi everyone, could someone show me where I can find a used front air suspension , I saw one on EBay ($650) it's too expensive for me , I'm living in LA area , if I can find one local here is great , thanks a lot .
Old 03-21-16, 10:41 AM
roknjohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rough riding LS430 Ultra

You have described my situation perfectly with my 2006 LS430 Ultra. Did you ever resolve?
Old 03-21-16, 10:45 AM
roknjohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rough riding LS430

Originally Posted by vicpai
.....and mine is an LS 400, I would like to comment about the Air Suspension. Personally, I am VERY VERY VERY DISSAPPOINTED with this feature!!! I view it more as a VERY EXPENSIVE GIMMICK serving ABSOLUTELY no purpose whatsoever ....my car is a 2000 model and it has about 60k miles on it. Recently, I was hearing some noise from the front end, and Longo Lexus told me that the FRONT air struts were showing signs of leaking and so they should be replaced. First off, these are frightfully expensive at about $1000 a piece. Anyhow, I coughed up the dough, thinking that it was worth it for the "comfortable ride" and replaced both of them. At the same time I replaced the lower ball joints as well. However, after they've replaced the shocks, the ride has become UNBELIEVABLY HARSH, especially when I hit potholes or road irregularities, and over broken pavement.. The ride becomes even more unbearably harsh, when braking on a rough stretch of road. It's as if the "damping" is becoming too firm or something!.....By the same token it appears to me that the ride "softens up" significantly at times. It appears to be "cycling through" a soft and hard phase. My cousin's Acura TL-Type S with super low profile tires rides smoother for cryin out loud

Even before I replaced the shocks, the ride was never all that "supple" to begin with, compared to my previous Silver 2000 LS with the coil spring steel suspension, but at the time, I just attributed it to worn out shocks. However, with the new shocks it's like there is no suspension underneath there sometimes....it's that bad. I have taken the vehicle back to Longo a couple times, and spoken to the Lead technician (shop foreman) who's taken a test ride with me, and they all tell me everything is fine, and that's just the way an Air Suspension equipped vehicle rides, and since it rides on a combination of air and hydraulic fluid, it cannot respond immediately or readily when hitting potholes, thereby causing the "jarring", "harsh" reaction. I find this explanation disingenous and incredibly hard to believe. When this car was new this option cost over $2,000!!! ....Unless someone was mentally retarded, why would anyone pay this kind of money for such a harsh ride, and no benefit, but rather a downgrade from the steel suspension??....just to get the adjustable ride height feature?? .....Yeah, right!!

I, then spoke to Mr. David Funk, the Asst. Manager there, and when I told him that the 4 cylinder Camry loaner they gave me was riding way smoother than my LS over broken pavement, he had the audacity to tell me that (and I quote) "the Camry is a much newer vehicle, so it's going to ride a lot smoother"......and I was thinking to myself, so you're telling me that my $65K LS 400 with Air suspension is supposed to ride waaayy worse than a $20K Camry just because the Camry has 15,000 miles on it, and my LS has 60,000 miles on it?? ......What kind of a stupid idiotic response is that??

I also ended up replacing the CASTER BARS, because they said these were bad too. At that time, they checked the new Shocks again and found them just fine, no leaks etc. So, I asked if there was a way to hook it up to a computer and see if the "AIR SUSPENSION COMPUTER" or other parts such as the Air compressor, accumulator etc. were malfunctioning, because I felt that maybe, since the shocks are "electronically modulated" in real time, the computer (or some other component) may be giving erratic messages to the shocks to "firm up" waayy too much at times. They said there was no way of doing this. I guess, the only way to get to the bottom of this would be to start replacing parts one by one (TRIAL AND ERROR), and I would be mentally insane to go this route, as it could end up costing me another $4000 or more!!.....and even that may not guarantee a fix!!

The moral of this story is that I should have never gone for an Air suspension equipped vehicle in the first place. It's JUST NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!!, and because of the sheer complexity of the system and the inability of dealerships to properly diagnose, an elusive problem could be virtually unresolvable!! .....I am scheduled to take the vehicle in again on Monday for a second opinion from another Shop Foreman, and if all else fails, I'm seriously considering converting my Air Suspension, to a regular (and much simpler) OEM coil spring setup. I'm told there is a conversion kit for this, and it can be done for around $700.

This whole thing has left a very bad taste in my mouth. Here I am in the Lexus Flagship sedan riding over broken pavement like a buckboard, and this is supposed to be the vehicle that is the benchmark for a smooth ride!!

FYI, I also took the vehicle to South Bay Lexus, and the service consultant there, who coincidentally happened to own an exact same vehicle like mine (same year and air susp. equipped) said that he finds the ride to be definitely not "normal". If Longo cannot do anything, the consultant at Southbay Lexus asked me to leave the car there for a couple days to see if they can figure out what's wrong. Will have to see what happens!
You have described my situation perfectly with my 2006 LS430 Ultra. Did you ever resolve?

Re: vicpai

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here