LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Does it work?? Did it ever break??Repaired??
Yes it Broke and had it reapired....
27.55%
NO. The Suspension works like a charm...
66.42%
YES, my AIR CONTROLLER broke it...
6.04%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 09:11 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GaborL - If you are curious about identifying UL (and other package) features, see the PDF doc in post #84 in the thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...y-package.html
Old 03-31-14, 02:01 AM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Non-air struts to replace air-shocks?

I have a set of shocks/springs from my previous non-air ls430, question is, can I use the non-air shocks to replace my current air-shocks?
Old 03-31-14, 09:38 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so when I woke up today, I went outside to check and see if my car had leveled out but it didnt. The front passenger side gap was almost an inch bigger then the driver side and the rear still looked low on both sides. I started the car, drove it a mile and back home and now it seems to have leveled out. The front gaps are equal now and the rear seems to have come up slightly. I really dont even know what to think. i have been looking into BC coilovers today as well as K Sport air suspension . I read good and bad stuff about K Sport tho so not sure how i feel. If I decide to go with aftermarket Air suspension is there anything out there for 3 grand that is reliable and proven ?
Old 03-31-14, 10:00 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
so when I woke up today, I went outside to check and see if my car had leveled out but it didnt. The front passenger side gap was almost an inch bigger then the driver side and the rear still looked low on both sides. I started the car, drove it a mile and back home and now it seems to have leveled out. The front gaps are equal now and the rear seems to have come up slightly. I really dont even know what to think. i have been looking into BC coilovers today as well as K Sport air suspension . I read good and bad stuff about K Sport tho so not sure how i feel. If I decide to go with aftermarket Air suspension is there anything out there for 3 grand that is reliable and proven ?
This is normal UGK. The car does not necessarily even itself out when parked on uneven ground. Mine does the same thing. You really need to park on even ground to check to see if you have a leak. It was initially confusing because I thought the same thing. That I had a slow leak but if I park on even ground overnight the shocks have the same height in the morning.
Old 04-16-14, 12:50 AM
deejayrock
Driver School Candidate

Default First issue that I couldnt fix on the suspension

Hey everyone,
I bought my 2005 UL at the beginning of this year, the first thing I noticed after driving it off the lot was that it would pull to the right, not hard but noticeable. I got the car home in my garage and could clearly tell that the car was diving an inch lower on the passenger side (front and rear).

I used the forums and search on Club Lexus and was able to find a few helpful hints, I cycled through the normal and high options a few times and the height corrected itself, it was even on both sides.
I purchased a data controller to adjust my suspension, mostly to get rid of the saggy butt of the car and the fender wheel gap and it worked great until recently, it seems that this suspension has a mind of its own now, sometimes high on passenger side and sometimes not, its so unpredictable i'm getting tired of it.

Today I decided to remove the data controller and go back to stock, nothing but problems, every corner is now out of whack and the passenger side (front and rear) doesnt even lift anymore.
I've been noticing bottoming out sounds in the rear. I looked at the pass. rear shock/bag and see that its covered in oil/grease, this is probably not good news.

I have an aftermarket air system (accuair elevel system) in the garage from my previous car and I think I maybe installing that in the LS, just need to purchase bags, I never had an issue with that system and its easy to adjust and reacts immediately. I was going to go this route eventually but this issue may be pushing me that way sooner.

Before I follow through with the aftermarket install, I'm going to check my extended warranty I purchased with the car to see if its covered.

Here's the pic of my rear stock shock/bag and a pic of my car at ride height (data controller 5 in rear, 7 in front)

Name:  26D2169A-A029-455D-B7E3-85575094E76B.jpg
Views: 2754
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  BFF16F0E-2F8A-4228-A679-38B0944C1752.jpg
Views: 3048
Size:  154.1 KB
Old 04-17-14, 05:39 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what i did to fix this problem was to do a full dump with the controller and then raise it back to your desired height.

I had some pretty hilarious incidents when suddenly, (as i was driving!), i would have the back left drop way down and the front right go really high! lol

i would have to pull over and do a full dump which wasted about 10 minutes and then off i would go again.
Old 04-17-14, 10:22 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
what i did to fix this problem was to do a full dump with the controller and then raise it back to your desired height.

I had some pretty hilarious incidents when suddenly, (as i was driving!), i would have the back left drop way down and the front right go really high! lol

i would have to pull over and do a full dump which wasted about 10 minutes and then off i would go again.
That's crazy, I don't know how you guys can live like that.

I am so happy my UL is on steel springs now.
Old 04-17-14, 03:17 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol! yeh pretty stupid which is part of the reason i moved up to the 460 with A/S.

that being said, i haven't put a controller on it yet. . .
Old 04-17-14, 04:28 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
lol! yeh pretty stupid which is part of the reason i moved up to the 460 with A/S.

that being said, i haven't put a controller on it yet. . .
From my observations, the 460's A/S is pretty much the same as the 430's with the same issues.
Old 04-17-14, 05:16 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The oil is the hydraulic fluid leaking out. I would look for a used one in good condition or convert to the whole suspension to coils.
Old 04-20-14, 03:27 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

Throughout the many posts, concerning the air suspension, I didn't noticed if anyone having the VSC error code come on. Lately, Ithe VSC comes on for a few days, then goes off. Not sure if this is related to the air suspension or (hopefully) a sensor. Can anyone provide any insight? Thanks.
Old 04-21-14, 12:58 PM
deejayrock
Driver School Candidate

peteybabes - i think thats what finally fixed my problem of the right side leaning look. i just fully dump and put back at ride height. not touching it again until my aftermarket bags come in.

I would love to go coils but I love the adjustability the air gives me in ride height, especially since I'm going aftermarket with accuair elevel.
Old 04-21-14, 08:29 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, I had a small issue on my UL but figured it out and wanted to let others know in case they run into the same issues.

Sometimes I heard a slight metal popping noise when the car is raising up/down with the controller...on acceleration and some parking lot maneuvers.

It ended up being the driver side LCA bolt that connects to the chassis. Again, that's the lower control arm bolt that goes through the bushing and holds to the frame of the car.

Tightened it back up, sprayed some WD40 on the bushing area, and fixed a problem that could have been much more expensive!

Last edited by C8V6C; 05-27-14 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-26-14, 07:35 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by deejayrock
Hey everyone,
I bought my 2005 UL at the beginning of this year, the first thing I noticed after driving it off the lot was that it would pull to the right, not hard but noticeable. I got the car home in my garage and could clearly tell that the car was diving an inch lower on the passenger side (front and rear).

I used the forums and search on Club Lexus and was able to find a few helpful hints, I cycled through the normal and high options a few times and the height corrected itself, it was even on both sides.
I purchased a data controller to adjust my suspension, mostly to get rid of the saggy butt of the car and the fender wheel gap and it worked great until recently, it seems that this suspension has a mind of its own now, sometimes high on passenger side and sometimes not, its so unpredictable i'm getting tired of it.

Today I decided to remove the data controller and go back to stock, nothing but problems, every corner is now out of whack and the passenger side (front and rear) doesnt even lift anymore.
I've been noticing bottoming out sounds in the rear. I looked at the pass. rear shock/bag and see that its covered in oil/grease, this is probably not good news.

I have an aftermarket air system (accuair elevel system) in the garage from my previous car and I think I maybe installing that in the LS, just need to purchase bags, I never had an issue with that system and its easy to adjust and reacts immediately. I was going to go this route eventually but this issue may be pushing me that way sooner.

Before I follow through with the aftermarket install, I'm going to check my extended warranty I purchased with the car to see if its covered.

Here's the pic of my rear stock shock/bag and a pic of my car at ride height (data controller 5 in rear, 7 in front)

How many miles do u have on ur car?
Old 05-28-14, 01:50 PM
drdarell
Driver School Candidate

Default Extended warranty should fix it.

Hi Pamperme,

Your shock (strut) is leaking oil. So just adding your aftermarket air system won't fix that. The extended warranties from Lexus are pretty good, hopefully they will replace both rear struts for you. Mine leaked the same way, just one side in the rear, and I milked it until the shock started to let my tire bounce and then I ended up putting on a new set of stock air shocks for a grand each. I've got a 2002 with 180K miles and luckily I never had issues with my level on any side or corner. I was going to put coil overs on it, but I really like the way the car levels itself with heavy loads and being able to boost it up to put snow chains on is also nice.

Hope they fix you under warranty, and have them fix the leveling as well... otherwise coil-overs may be the best way to go. There are several options available. Check out ebay.

Quick Reply: LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here