LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Does it work?? Did it ever break??Repaired??
Yes it Broke and had it reapired....
27.55%
NO. The Suspension works like a charm...
66.42%
YES, my AIR CONTROLLER broke it...
6.04%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 01:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by drdarell
My '02 has 147K on it and the left rear is leaking. This car has an incredibly smooth ride and I love the air suspension, until it comes time to replace it. I never figured this car would ever need struts replaced. I figured that this was a Japanese built car and had exceptional quality. Well they are getting sloppy... I had a '90 accord that was built in Japan and this was the best built car I've ever had. (I thought my LS430 was even better but it's not). The Honda had 265K miles on it when I gave it to a friend going to college about 11 years ago. Gas tires and oil was all it ever needed. The girl gave it to her parents about 5 years ago and they are still driving it and it's still perfect! I guess the quality from Japan in the 90's went away in 2000. Too bad.
You can't compare air bags to steel springs.

Comparing a 90' Accord to a UL LS430 is apple to orange, the only thing they have in common is they are both built in Japan.

Is like comparing your Accord to a bicycle, of course the bicycle needs much less maintenances and repairs, it doesn't even need gas and oil
Old 12-02-11, 01:52 PM
drdarell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's about the quality going downhill...

Originally Posted by BNR34
You can't compare air bags to steel springs.

Comparing a 90' Accord to a UL LS430 is apple to orange, the only thing they have in common is they are both built in Japan.

Is like comparing your Accord to a bicycle, of course the bicycle needs much less maintenances and repairs, it doesn't even need gas and oil
I'm not comparing the '90 Honda Features to the Lexus. I was just commenting about the design and build quality. The first set of tires lasted 128K miles! The alignment was absolutely perfect, the car tracked absolutely perfect even with 265K miles on it. My point is the '90 Accord was designed to last well over 250K miles, and it was built to very tight tolerances. I expected nothing less and a lot more from my Lexus. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great car, I love it. However, I'm surprised that about 40% of UL LS430 owners have had problems with their air shocks. At $1,200 a shock I expect them to last forever. I've put 3 CD changers into my car and I'm afraid that with the average time that they last I'm due for this one to die. Things like this don't need to fail, it's a design flaw. Or, maybe they figure that as long as they are better than what the US can build most of the people will be happy. Personally, I bought a Lexus because of the reputation and that it was built in Japan. It's really been a great car, but I expected a little more quality. Cheers!
Old 12-02-11, 03:41 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not comparing the '90 Honda Features to the Lexus. I was just commenting about the design and build quality. The first set of tires lasted 128K miles! The alignment was absolutely perfect, the car tracked absolutely perfect even with 265K miles on it.
You are doing it again, you are comparing tire wear between a 3000 lbs 130 hp FWD car to a 4000 lbs 300 hp RWD car. Comparing that Accord to a CT200h would be a lot closer, not a LS430.

My point is the '90 Accord was designed to last well over 250K miles, and it was built to very tight tolerances. I expected nothing less and a lot more from my Lexus. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great car, I love it. However, I'm surprised that about 40% of UL LS430 owners have had problems with their air shocks. At $1,200 a shock I expect them to last forever.
That is the nature of air shocks, they just could not engineered to last very long. Lexus already made them the best in the world, yours lasted 147k!! Go find out how long air shock last on Benz or Range Rover, 20k miles they start to have issues.

I've put 3 CD changers into my car and I'm afraid that with the average time that they last I'm due for this one to die. Things like this don't need to fail, it's a design flaw.
Yes, CD changer is uncall for, that is a quality issue. But then if your Accord have a CD player, it is single disk. The changing mechanism is what breaks, the Accord don't have that.

Or, maybe they figure that as long as they are better than what the US can build most of the people will be happy. Personally, I bought a Lexus because of the reputation and that it was built in Japan. It's really been a great car, but I expected a little more quality. Cheers!
You bought a very complicated Lexus. Try a CT200h or IS250 that is as basic as your 90' Accord, should last just as long.

Of course that orange don't taste like an apple, it is not an apple

I am surprise you didn't complain about your LS430 don't get gas mileage like your 90' Accord.
Old 01-05-12, 01:53 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Just took my car in for service, since my ML amp blew. They're currently on back order, so I complained of the passenger side sag. Technician said the drivers side rear air shock was leaking bad, passenger side rear air shock was slightly leaking, and the front two air shocks were still good.

They replaced the rear two shocks. My car has 81k miles and I no longer have the right rear sag. The car drives much more stable. I knew things were going out, when going over speed bumps, the car would bounce several times before settling down.
Old 03-13-12, 11:57 AM
LS400TX
Rookie

Originally Posted by FLIPPU
After researching here and reading about this UL package and AIR SUSPENSION...some people are very skeptical about this feature..Most of them fear the "COST" of servicing this componentt IF/WHEN it breaks...

So how many "OWNERS" here have had ISSUES that needed repair on their LS430 ULTRA with AIR SUSPENSION???

Please take the poll...

Also, How many have been TROUBLE FREE?

How about those people that added an after market "AIR CONTROLLER"?

This should shed some light about this "TROUBLE PRONE" (per my research) Air Suspension for the LS430.

Thanks
Mike
2001 LS430 UL BLK/BLK 178000 miles with no air suspension problems.
Driven every day 130miles to work.
Old 03-13-12, 12:58 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

2 of mine went at 85k. I think one of the other 2 are gone. I think 85k on of shocks is about right. I live in NYC not the best roads
Old 07-10-12, 05:48 AM
ipwn
Rookie

Here is my question, if you have a completely stock LS430 with air suspension, and you want to ditch this set up.

Do you just need to replace the shocks and take out the compressor fuses or do you need to replace the shocks, springs, anti roll bar etc etc ..

Basically, what MUST be changed when replacing the air suspension.

I am in the UK and prefer to keep my Lexus completely standard with L/toyota parts..
Old 07-10-12, 06:07 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To ditch a finely tuned japanese active suspension (which have 10+ sensors all over the car and powerful computer to control all of it) is a stupid move.

I have 238k kms and airsus is still original.
Old 07-10-12, 09:28 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
To ditch a finely tuned japanese active suspension (which have 10+ sensors all over the car and powerful computer to control all of it) is a stupid move.

I agree with you 90%... the other 10% is reserved for those who want to change the car's feel to ride more sporty or lower the ride height and manually adjust using 20+ way adjustable coils.
Old 07-10-12, 04:23 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well good point, but. But i'll be looking for non-airsus LS then. Makes more sense.
Old 07-10-12, 05:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Well good point, but. But i'll be looking for non-airsus LS then. Makes more sense.
But in order to get every bells and whistles available on a LS430 (at least in the U.S.A.), you have to get the ultra luxury edition which comes with the air suspension.

Some people want every features except the air suspension.
Old 07-10-12, 05:59 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't call it finely tuned, it is very smooth but is far from composed.

The active hydraulic suspension on AMGs and Mclaren MP4-12C is very impressive, the air suspension on the LS430 is far from it.
Old 07-10-12, 09:16 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ipwn
Here is my question, if you have a completely stock LS430 with air suspension, and you want to ditch this set up.

Do you just need to replace the shocks and take out the compressor fuses or do you need to replace the shocks, springs, anti roll bar etc etc ..

Basically, what MUST be changed when replacing the air suspension.

I am in the UK and prefer to keep my Lexus completely standard with L/toyota parts..
I had mine replaced for sport coils/springs suspension.
No anti roll bars to change.
Needed are strut mounts, insulators, shocks, springs and minor parts
Over here you can get all part # you need for a swap:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...n-infos-8.html
Old 07-11-12, 03:27 PM
tobe1424
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 90K water pump idlers necessary ?

my 03 ls430 UL needs the timing belt changed..I believe in "if it's not broken then don't fix it"...

so should i change my water pump if it looks ok by the outside while I am swapping out my belt?

Or can the factory water pump see the 200K mark?

T
Old 07-11-12, 03:57 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tobe1424
my 03 ls430 UL needs the timing belt changed..I believe in "if it's not broken then don't fix it"...

so should i change my water pump if it looks ok by the outside while I am swapping out my belt?

Or can the factory water pump see the 200K mark?

T
Do you really want to take this chance? WP can look ok outside but you can only assume what's the condition of pars inside of it. Plus it's a big job to do a WP/TB change that involves completely draining the cooling system. If your old water pump brakes you have to disassemble everything plus drain colling system again. There's also a chance to overheat your motor if your WP fails.
There is a TB kit on sewellparts.com, it includes TB/WP, pretensioner, all needed pulleys and all needed seals. Sewell also offers a big discount to CL members, just register (for free). If my memory is correct the whole kit is $413 plus shipping.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2003/4683.html

Quick Reply: LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here