LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Does it work?? Did it ever break??Repaired??
Yes it Broke and had it reapired....
27.55%
NO. The Suspension works like a charm...
66.42%
YES, my AIR CONTROLLER broke it...
6.04%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 11:24 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
I was going to some notes I had on a Certified Lexus I considered buying last year. I researched the history and found that this car 2004 LS430 UL has a leaking shock before the 50k mark, less than 4 years old.

Looks like it was the Right Rear.
From my researchs and observations, the right rear air shock usually is the 1st shock to fail at mileage between 30k~60k, see this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...to-go-bad.html
Old 06-12-10, 10:17 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default air supension issue

Originally Posted by joeydingo
Well, after having a ride height sensor replaced two weeks ago, turns out my right front shock is toast at 36k miles. Approximately $1200 to replace.

As I plan to keep this vehicle a long time, I am biting the bullet and have all four corners replaced with OE struts/springs. I have gone with HKS coilovers in the past, but the roads up here in the Northeast suck and are getting worse, so going to stick with the stock suspension components.

My only concern about getting a 430 with the UL package was the air suspension, and sadly, my suspicions turned out to be correct. I'm taking care of it though!

Absolutely love the car otherwise, and I'll be much happier not having to worry about another $1200 shock or $300 sensor going bad as time goes on.
hello Joey
how much does it cost to replace all to OE strut/springs. did you get it done at lexus dealership.

Thanks
Old 07-01-10, 05:41 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

After my first oil change I looked at the rear shocks and saw that oily residue on the shock body. I guess that's the first sign that these things are going bad. Thankfully I got the Platinum extended warranty, so I'll get those taken care of asap.

Are the front shocks the same way when going bad? (oily residue)
Old 07-02-10, 08:45 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes; fronts do the same thing.

Oil appears first at the top, under the 3 bolt cover over the shock adjusters. It's very easy to remove the 3 nuts holding it and remove the cover for the earliest warning of oil loss.
Old 07-02-10, 10:40 AM
waijai
Racer

I'll do an inspection of all 4 this weekend. Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-10-10, 01:22 PM
seltzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension

I have a 02 Ultra and have 126K on the car with no problems to date. Love the sport suspension option for strong cross winds and curvy roads.
Old 07-10-10, 01:43 PM
jzz30fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with all of the aftermarket air struts, add on bag, etc available why are you guys paying such high prices for factory parts....usually I would agree with OEM parts but in this case I would think a rebuild-able strut and bag assembly would be a less expensive option now and in the future ( down the road rebuild uas/ksport set-up for $200 per corner) the factory compressor and air control/valve assemblies are the best though, has anyone seen a failure on those?

Last edited by jzz30fan; 07-10-10 at 01:45 PM. Reason: left out a question
Old 07-10-10, 04:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jzz30fan
with all of the aftermarket air struts, add on bag, etc available why are you guys paying such high prices for factory parts....usually I would agree with OEM parts but in this case I would think a rebuild-able strut and bag assembly would be a less expensive option now and in the future ( down the road rebuild uas/ksport set-up for $200 per corner) the factory compressor and air control/valve assemblies are the best though, has anyone seen a failure on those?
Because most people are not into hacking up the car to fit aftermarket parts, I see your point, but aftermarket parts are not for everyone.
Old 07-10-10, 07:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by waijai
After my first oil change I looked at the rear shocks and saw that oily residue on the shock body. I guess that's the first sign that these things are going bad. Thankfully I got the Platinum extended warranty, so I'll get those taken care of asap.

Are the front shocks the same way when going bad? (oily residue)
My input to this is, when my 2 rear air shocks completely failed, the strut body was completely dry. My point is, they can fail without any visible oil residue.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (10-28-23)
Old 07-15-10, 07:25 PM
Tech&Rides
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased a 2004 UL from a lexus dealer in cali. My previous car was an 1996 LS and had never driven an air ride car. On my drive to Phx from cali I thought the car rode bad but wasn't sure if it was just how air rode or something bad in the suspension. After checking the car out I have found it to have 3 bad struts! I called lexus customer care about the problem because the car was out of warranty and I had just purchased it from a lexus dealer with 62,000 miles on it. It was a nightmare just trying to get someone on the phone and had a horrible experience dealing with lexus. Needless to say after almost 3 weeks of trying to get these junk struts warrantied they would only cover 50% of 2 struts. I had to take the car to Chandler lexus to have it inspected and received excellent service from everyone there. Do not buy a UL without it being certified or an extended warranty! I got a quote for $6300 to replace all 4 struts which is what the car really needs. I guess in the long run it works out because I am replacing everything with more adjustable parts but never thought I would have to do it this soon I am very disappointed in the quality of these struts, after 12 years of being a mechanic I have never seen struts blow this fast. I have Tein sedan flex on the way from japan an plan on installing UAS bags on them. Good luck to everyone else and their stock struts. I recommend buying a modern lux model instead of UL and it would be a much better car in the long run.
Old 07-17-10, 10:23 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech&Rides
I just purchased a 2004 UL from a lexus dealer in cali. My previous car was an 1996 LS and had never driven an air ride car. On my drive to Phx from cali I thought the car rode bad but wasn't sure if it was just how air rode or something bad in the suspension. After checking the car out I have found it to have 3 bad struts! I called lexus customer care about the problem because the car was out of warranty and I had just purchased it from a lexus dealer with 62,000 miles on it. It was a nightmare just trying to get someone on the phone and had a horrible experience dealing with lexus. Needless to say after almost 3 weeks of trying to get these junk struts warrantied they would only cover 50% of 2 struts. I had to take the car to Chandler lexus to have it inspected and received excellent service from everyone there. Do not buy a UL without it being certified or an extended warranty! I got a quote for $6300 to replace all 4 struts which is what the car really needs. I guess in the long run it works out because I am replacing everything with more adjustable parts but never thought I would have to do it this soon I am very disappointed in the quality of these struts, after 12 years of being a mechanic I have never seen struts blow this fast. I have Tein sedan flex on the way from japan an plan on installing UAS bags on them. Good luck to everyone else and their stock struts. I recommend buying a modern lux model instead of UL and it would be a much better car in the long run.
that's horrible luck with your LS and given the *****ty dealer experience doesn't help either

some members have gone over 100k on oem struts

I'm not defending lexus too much here but if you look at the mercedes w220 forum, a good majority of the posts are all about the early failings of their air suspensions-talk about crappy quality

Take a look there and see what you can see about lexus air struts.

from what I gather, lexus air stuts do hold up better and longer than mbs-that's my comparison
The following users liked this post:
kelleher2 (03-18-18)
Old 07-19-10, 09:38 AM
rizo1
Driver School Candidate

so is it possible to change out the air-suspension on a UL for normal coil springs? Are the UL's specifically designed only for air? what about all those buttons?! ha.
Old 07-19-10, 05:52 PM
joeydingo
Rookie

Yes, I converted my suspension over to non-air stock springs/shocks. The control buttons just become non-functional.
Some on the forum have questioned why spend the extra money for OEM springs/shocks when there are less expensive or higher performance options available more cheaply. I just decided to spend the money and get the OEm Toyota parts, but there are lots of other options out there.
Old 07-19-10, 06:19 PM
boe28
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear air suspension

Yes, Both of mine went out,i have a 2005 with 46,000, still under the certified warranty so i paid zero. it cost Lexus $2510.00. with that said the certified warranty has paid for itself. I will have the front suspension checked now that i know this is a problem area.
Old 07-19-10, 07:08 PM
waijai
Racer

What area of Texas are you in boe28?

Quick Reply: LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here