LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus Link (Error msg)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 10:56 AM
johnny1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Link (Error msg)

Greetings. Of late I've been getting a voice message when I turn the car on that indicates "A Lexus Link error has been detected, please contact your Lexus dealer". What's up with that? Any way I can disable this? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-06, 12:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think that's coz' lexuslink is no longer available.

i remember someone syaing there is a way to disable it, but i forgot how already. maybe try to do a search? some people complained it on the sc430 as well
Old 02-27-06, 01:18 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I could be wrong but I believe Lexus Link was contracting out to Onstar and since not many people used it Lexus dropped the service. I remember reading a thread a while back, I think it was a post from Asiangrl007 that said the dealer would remove it/disable.
Old 02-28-06, 04:46 AM
cenwesi
Rookie

Yeah, i too am getting that stupid msg everytime. I really want to disable it NOW. Can someone point us to the post.
Old 02-28-06, 09:08 PM
johnny1
Rookie

I've got a few days off next week and I am going to get up to the dealer and see if they can get this handled. Normally this would not bother me but my 6 month old daugther is typically half asleep when she gets placed into her "limo" and the loud voice tends to wake her up
Old 02-28-06, 09:58 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the TSB:

2001 - 2004 model year Lexus LS430 vehicles

Lexus is initiating a Limited Service Campaign (LSC). The 4LA LSC is for 2001 through 2004 model year LS 430s equipped with the Lexus Link system. This Limited Service Campaign will permanently remove the Lexus Link System Panel buttons and disable the functionality in vehicles whose owners no longer subscribe to the Lexus Link service. This handbook provides all the details necessary to plan and implement this LSC at your dealership.

Although there is nothing wrong with the Lexus Link hardware, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that cellular telephone companies operating in the United States are no longer required to provide analog service after February 2008. Cellular carriers are quickly transitioning to digital networks and since Lexus Link uses analog technology and cannot be modified to
digital operation, Lexus is offering this customer satisfaction program because we understand customers may prefer to remove the hardware completely, or they may want to eliminate the voice prompt that is sounded each time the vehicle is started.

The 4LA LSC involves removing the Lexus Link system panel buttons, installing a sunglasses holder in their place, and disabling the Lexus Link system hardware.

Notification letters will be sent in phases to the owners of affected vehicles whose Lexus Link subscription have expired or will soon expire. The mailings will begin in late March 2004. This letter will advise owners of the change in the Lexus Link operating conditions in the United States and their option to remove and disable Lexus Link system hardware thereby eliminating the Lexus Link system voice prompt upon vehicle ignition.

Sounds like you can ask the dealer to remove it/disable it.
Old 03-01-06, 03:33 AM
cenwesi
Rookie

sweet, but is it going to cost me anything. I just want the damn voice gone.
Old 03-01-06, 05:45 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Your Lexus Link battery is probably...

Originally Posted by johnny1
Greetings. Of late I've been getting a voice message when I turn the car on that indicates "A Lexus Link error has been detected, please contact your Lexus dealer". What's up with that? Any way I can disable this? Thanks in advance.
discharged and if the system is in use will need a new battery. The new digital version of Lexus Link has recently arrived on LX and GX models and probably will be on the new LS460 this fall. The changeover from the analog to the digital spectrum is making the original Lexus Link obsolete. The dealership will remove the offending voice entirely if you wish. There is a TSB that gives owners this option. The Lexus Link will not work anyway in the next year or so as the analog spectrum is shutting down. Have the surgery... it's painless.

Rock
Old 12-03-06, 01:19 PM
mcb
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Lexus link problem

I also have recently started getting the "Lexus Link has detected a system error...." message. I have a 2001 Ls 430. The Link system is located in the trunk on the right hand side towards back seat upper area. You have to remove a portion of the trunk lining to see it. After reading several posts and talking to a Lexus Technician I was told to check to see if the battery was discharged...that this could cause the problem. IT DOES NOT! I removed the battery, it is a panasonic, 13V .08 amp custom battery used in typical cellphone powering applications. The battery was fully charged (check with volt meter). I also unplugged all cables to the Link box and still no effect on the annoying message. Still looking for resolution to this problem. Picture of battery on next post.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Link (Error msg)-dsc01725.jpg  
Old 12-03-06, 01:22 PM
mcb
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery for Lexus Link Problem

Here is a picture of the battery for Lexus Link. This battery was fully charged and I still have the annoying message.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Link (Error msg)-dsc01726.jpg  
Old 10-02-07, 04:41 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I started getting the same message recently on a 02 LS430, would the dealer disable lexus link per TSB for free or there is a charge associated with this fix?
Old 10-03-07, 07:24 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kept mine because the recording function is a plus to me. If they could only disable the link and keep the recording function then I would have the dealer do their thing, but the dealer can only replaced it with one that holds sunglasses rather than just disable it. I wonder why?...
Old 10-31-07, 07:22 PM
EIF
Driver School Candidate

You can check the Lexuslink for fault codes by holding the play button and cycle the key 3 times. It will read out the trouble code. Back up battery is very common failure. Replace it and keep the system intact for the recording function. Or you can also turn down the volume of the announcement to minimize the distraction.

Last edited by EIF; 10-31-07 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-02-07, 09:08 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at my dealership, when we remove the lexus link we also fill up the gas. just did one on the sc430 today. little more work on that one then the ls430.
Old 11-05-07, 02:44 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

They did not fill my car with gas in Las Vegas, but they gave me a loaner.
The following users liked this post:
willfitz69 (09-19-18)

Quick Reply: Lexus Link (Error msg)