LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Block heater on LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 08:24 AM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block heater on LS430?

Anyone have one installed on their cars? Does it produce instant heat when used?

I'm thinking of getting the part and installing it myself, because the dealership is saying 2 hours for install.. Quite ridiculas if you ask me.. Anyone know where I could obtain the install instructions to do it? I have the massive (over 3000 pages) manual for the LS430 but can't can't seem to find the section..
Old 10-13-04, 11:43 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your time and $$$. If you are worried about the upcoming winter, instead use a 0W40 synthetic from Mobil or a Castrol Syntec 5W50, let your engine idle for a 1 minute after starting to ensure oil flow has reached all parts of the engine, and then drive immediately but slowly until the engine has reached operating temp. Then resume normal driving. That's the best you can do for your car. Invest in a good brandy and keep it handy when you come home, it'll warm you up.

Last edited by ychachad; 10-13-04 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-13-04, 11:49 AM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

Well it's not only engine damage I was refering to.. Here in Toronto it dosen't get THAT cold compared to some places in central north america.. However, my wife would be pleased if the car were warm when she started it up.. Thats really all I thought about..
Old 10-13-04, 06:06 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

telegix,
Have you driven your LS through a winter yet? An LS does seem to come up to normal operating temperature quickly compared to many other cars we have owned. And your seat heaters should take the edge off the cold. I had a block heater installed on a Mercedes diesel I bought new way back in the 70's and it also required about two hours labour to install - the heater replaced the "freeze plug" in the engine block and it was quite a chore for the dealer mechanic to install. The block heater was wonderful in the winter - especially when temperatores were below 0 F. Instant hot air from the heater and the little diesel started instantly and ran perfectly! The only "problem" I had was tucking away the A/C cord for the heater before I drove away. I tend to doubt if you would have starting issues with your LS in the winter. But heck, if you have gone to the expense of buying an LS430, what is another few hundred $ to be make the wife happy in the winter. I'd say "go for it".

Love Toronto. Spent quite a bit of time at our office on University Avenue.
Old 10-13-04, 08:42 PM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

I haven't in fact driven the car in winter actually yet.. This is something I was thinking was an option for me to do.. Our cadi STS had a block heater, but it heated the block of the engine, not the water.. Didn't yield any benefits and it didn't help the engine any.. The 1997 Cadi STS went through 1 litre of oil about every 1000 miles.. GM said that was normal.. I said it wasn't.. We argued and argued.. They did this and that.. Yada yada yada.. Now I own a LS430.. I'll never touch another American car again.. Sorry to say.. It's sad it's come to this.. You guys used to be world leaders in luxury cars.. And look at them now..

From the pictures of the block heater, all I can see is that it has threads on it.. This leads me to the conclusion that it screws in somewhere.. Finding where would be ideal as I could figure out how simple or difficult it would be do myself.. As you can guess, even from my other posts.. I'm not the typical LS430 buyer.. I do my own brake jobs, I do my own oil, etc.. I enjoy these tasks as it allows me a change of pace from the mundane things one does usually.. People have grown out of touch with their cars I think these days... When I do a brake job, i replace the rotors and the pad's at once.. Call me stupid? Well.. New rotors (which I can get fairly cheap) are certainly going to be better then machined ones.. No one can argue that.. The price I get them at is the same as if I had a shop just machine them for me.. So why wouldn't I replace them then.. Anyways.. That's enough blabbing...
Old 10-13-04, 09:06 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Default may be a solution?

May be this is a better solution for you, may be not, but anyway, how about a remote starter? I had 1 on my LS400. COMPUSTAR2000. It is both an alarm system and a remote starter. Worked great. I live in the 6 story building and my car was in the underground garage and I was able to start each time with no problems right from my aprtment. Also, I beleive the range is up to 6000 feet. Was $400 for top-of-the-line model installed here in Brooklyn. I don't care for the heat too much but my wife would ask me to start the car up from about a block away in the winter. By the time we got inside the car the engine was warmed up. All I had to do is turn the heater on and 15 20 seconds later we were in Florida. I hate when it's hot in the car though. I usually have climate control set at 70 most. Check this alarm out though. It's kind of cool high-tech stuff if you are into gadgets. I recommend it. Remote has a screen you can see what's being left open in your car such as doors, moonroof, trunk, hood. Also, the remote has a beeper and vibration modes so when you wear it on your belt, it is sort of like a pager. Almost no false drills. Doesn't weigh much. The new model that replaced the one I had is 2WSS. Check it out http://www.compustar.org/products/2WSS.html

Last edited by audphile1; 10-13-04 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 09:11 PM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

This isn't a bad option.. However running the car in my closed garage which is attached to my home wouldn't yield happy results I would think... I'll continue to investiagte.. Good suggestion though..
Old 10-14-04, 09:54 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

no not in your garage, i was talking more about when the car's been outside long enough to get the interior cold. In the garage it most likely is warmer compared to outside.
Old 11-26-07, 04:24 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Telegix,

Now that its been awhile would you share your experience? I am moving this week to the MN-Canadian border on Lake of the Woods and have a 2004 with over 50k on it. Been wondering if I will need to do something like an engine block heater since it will be parked outside during my transition this winter and I don't believe I will initially have garage access for overnight parking.

Most everyone there has either block heaters or heated garages, but they tend to buy their cars/trucks with the heaters installed by the dealer from what I can gather.

Anyone else with ideas? And I will look at the remote start as well. Thanks.
Old 11-26-07, 06:21 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I noticed that Telegix hasn't posted on this forum for over a year.

This on the http://www.lexus.ca website for an LS460 and I am guessing the price would be the same for your LS430:

Block Heater º $195.00 (Lexus Installed MSRP)
Custom designed for your Lexus providing 400 watts of heating power.
Provides easy cold weather starts reducing engine wear.
Provides faster interior warm-up.
Includes a 'strain relief' electrical cord.

I can't emphasize enough how much more pleasant a block heater makes it if you have to leave your car outside in cold climates. Even with the U.S. dollar in the toilet against the Loonie, $195 CAD installed is a screeming good deal and might be worth the relatively short drive to the Winnipeg Lexus dealer to get one installed.
Old 11-26-07, 07:36 AM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

I would suggest installing the block heater as well.. With regards to remote starters, they should be banned.. For one they pollute the environment needlessly.. Second, they trash your engine.. Having your car idle to warm it up is a bad idea.. It's warms best if it's running and not idliling in one spot.. It will also warm up much faster.. The block heater allows me to warm up very quickly vs without.. It's also better for the engine..
Old 11-27-07, 05:13 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Thanks guys, guess I will head up there with my LS and see what info I can gather from the locals on their solutions, etc. Just replaced the battery so I know that is in great shape.
Old 11-26-19, 10:45 AM
potaijee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just want to revive this age old thread. Has anyone installed a block heater on the LS430? Which type is compatible with the 3uz? Was the install difficult? Does anyone find using a oil pan heater better? Any thoughts would be appreciated, I live in Manitoba where there's about a solid month of constant -30C (-22F) temperatures. Thanks!
Old 01-01-22, 05:38 PM
mkeenan
Driver School Candidate

Default LS430 Block Heater

I am trying to determine if the thread regarding this topic is dead...I hope not. I found the proper Lexus part number and would like to review the installation instructions. Does anyone have that information by chance? If you have purchased one and installed it yourself, what was the approximate cost and was it a thread in (to the block) device? MK

Old 01-01-22, 10:40 PM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkeenan
I am trying to determine if the thread regarding this topic is dead...I hope not. I found the proper Lexus part number and would like to review the installation instructions. Does anyone have that information by chance? If you have purchased one and installed it yourself, what was the approximate cost and was it a thread in (to the block) device? MK

I think in the case of the block heater, the install info came with the part.. It wasn't overly difficult last I remember.. You might need to drain and fill the coolant however, a minor inconvenience to be honest..

Quick Reply: Block heater on LS430?