how to tell if car has PCS

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 10:14 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to tell if car has PCS

guys,

how can you tell if a car has the PCS or not?
Old 09-21-05, 04:52 AM
mkoranda
Driver School Candidate

My 2005 Ultra with PCS has a plexiglass shield covering the emblem on the front grill. Actually, it's covering the radar unit just behind the emblem on the front grill. I believe that the Lexus PCS is radar-based (millimeter wave radar, I'm told). On my Ultra, the radar is used for both the PCS and the cruise control and replaces the laser cruise. Interestingly, I saw an auction on ebay for a replacement radar unit. The seller claimed that the dealer list price is $5,000. The seller also said that the plexiglass shield and emblem is another $2,000. Let's hope I never have to find out.
Old 09-21-05, 12:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow I knew the 'covered' emblem was for Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, didn't know it was also for the Pre-Collision System. IIRC the PCS is only on the top-packaged LS 430s, such as with Ultra Luxury Selection.
Old 09-21-05, 01:14 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

oh well... looks like my car doesnt have PCS, even though it has the radar cruise control... a very cool feature.

but pissed off many drivers on the Long Island Expressway because there's such a big gap between me and the car in front...and they dont understand why there's such a big gap...
got angry many honks!
Old 09-21-05, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this is interesting, i didn't know before. so on all the ls430 with PCS or laser cruise control, there is a plexiglass for the front emblem? is it just for delievery purpose or you have to run it like that always?

this is weird coz' i thought the laser cruise control unit it on the bottom part of the bumper, next to the pessenger side foglights? there is a separate opening there
Old 09-21-05, 07:17 PM
BMcD430
Driver

I believe the one under the bumper is the RADAR cruise control. The one on the grille behind the plexiglass is the LASER version. PCS uses the Laser control. I think it senses the object you are about to hit and obliterates it with a powerful laser blast! Tell the car wash guys to be careful or they'll lose an arm while drying the car!

It's late - I'll stop now......................

Bruce
Old 09-22-05, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha funny, bruce

ok so tehre are two types of cruise control, radar and laser? so that means the ultra is using the laser?

and the plexiglass, it's just for protection during delievery right?
Old 09-22-05, 04:21 AM
mkoranda
Driver School Candidate

I think there's been some confusion here about the PCS. The PCS on my 2005 Ultra is radar based. So is the cruise control. The plexiglass shield over the front emblem protects the radar unit which is behind the front grill. Furthermore, I do not believe that PCS is available with laser cruise.

The plexiglass shield, which is shaped like a trapezoid (and has a slight grey tint), remains on the car at all times. I assume that it protects the expensive radar unit from rocks and other debris.

The radar cruise was a little hard to get used to at first. When you activate the master cruise control switch, the display indicates "Radar Ready." Then, when you set the cruise control, the speed will be maintained as long as there is nothing immediately in front of you. If a vehicle gets in front of you (you can set the sensitivity to either 150', 250' or 400' ), your car will slow down or accelerate to maintain the pre-set distance. The display will show an icon of your car and the car in front of you to indicate that the radar is tracking the car in front of you. The car will even apply the brakes if necessary to maintain the pre-set distance. Whenever the cruise control has to apply the brakes, it sounds an audible warning. The radar cruise is very good at distinguishing between vehicle in your lane as opposed to other lanes. It does not seem to be affected by hills, curves or median barriers. The owners manual says that it may have problems in heavy rain or snow, but I haven't driven it in bad weather yet.

The only drawback with the radar cruise is that you can only increase the speed in 5 mph increments. For example, if you have the cruise set at 71 mph and you tap the accelerate stalk one time -- your preset speed will increase to 75 mph. Similarly, if you tap the decelerate stalk one time, your preset speed will go down to 70 mph. This can be pretty annoying.

Fortunately, Lexus gives you the ability to bypass the radar cruise control altogether and select normal cruise control. This is what I use most of the time.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-22-05, 08:13 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

I think I just found out another limitation about the radar cruise control.

I was using it yesterday, cruising at 60 mph, and the lane in front of me was all clear. But when a motorbike came up quickly behind me and then came into my lane, almost cutting me. The radar does not respond and brake.

I had to quickly manually brake in order to avoid hitting him.

Now, that was scary. I had a false sense of security that the radar would brake and accelerate again after the motorbike was gone, which it actually did when the object was cars/trucks. .
Old 09-22-05, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks for the explanation. not owning this car defiintely makes learning a lot harder!
Old 09-26-05, 08:34 AM
NYLEXGS
Driver School Candidate

How do you bypass radar cruise control and use normal cruise control?
Old 09-26-05, 09:38 AM
BMcD430
Driver

I'm going by memory here but I think after you press the button to turn the cruise on, you push the stalk away from you and it will say "normal" in the center display.

Bruce
Old 09-26-05, 09:38 AM
mkoranda
Driver School Candidate

After activating the master switch, push the cruise control stalk forward for about 3 seconds and it will change over to normal cruise.
Old 09-26-05, 09:44 AM
NYLEXGS
Driver School Candidate

I wasn't aware of that... Thank you guys for the fast response, I will try it out the next time I use the cruise control....
Old 09-26-05, 11:11 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLEXGS
I wasn't aware of that... Thank you guys for the fast response, I will try it out the next time I use the cruise control....
Must be your lucky day, two answers in same minute.