LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for experience-based advice on LS430 options

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 10:50 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Looking for experience-based advice on LS430 options

I'm looking for a good used LS430. I know I want the ML sound and navigation system, but beyond that I'm I'm having a tough time figuring out a couple of things on options to look for. I know these things mostly come down to individual preferences, but I'd still appreciate input from people who have relevant experience on the following:

1. After having spent some seat-time in both, what are your thoughts on the Sport Suspension vs. standard suspension? I liked the 2004 that I drove with Sport Suspension a lot. I do not think I'd get tired of that feel, though some people seem to think the LS is best with the standard suspension..... Then others say they think the main difference is in the wheels and tires -- they think that a standard suspension car with the 245/45/18 performance tires/wheels would feel pretty close to the Sport Suspension setup on anything other than curvy roads and spirited driving....

2. Are there any significant draw-backs to the Ultra Luxury package? For example, I've seen a few posts from people who say that the air bags will get to the point in 3-4 years where they partially deflate overnight. Is this true? What are the worthwhile benefits and what are the draw-backs of the UL package? In your opinion, is it worth the trouble and expense to search until finding the right car with the UL package?

Any other comments are most welcome.

TIA,
Steve
Old 07-12-05, 11:40 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from my experience the sport suspension is unbeleivably stiff for what is supposed to be a luxury cruiser. I bought mine and returned it after 80 miles. They found me the same exact car without sport and I am in love with it (don't tell the Mrs.)

I now have the non-sport WITH the 18's and get compliments from anybody that rides in the car.

The 18's are sporty enough for me. I have a 99 LS with 16's and the tires alone make a HUGE handling difference.

As for the UL- please don't get me wrong, they are VERY nice, but for me personally, I had to weigh the cost against the bells and whistles that I would really use and enjoy.

Most of the adds are in the back seat. with kids- forget it. I've heard the Airsusp is nice, until you have to fix it out of warranty.

Good luck-
Old 07-12-05, 03:14 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with bigDLexus regarding the UL value for the money. Most of the extra goodies (compared to the ML and CL) are in the rear seats, rear sound system, etc. It does have the adjustable air suspension system, but a write-up I read on it recommends the ETS if you want a sporty ride.

I happen to have a different opinion regarding the ETS vs. the standard suspension. I have an '04 with the ML and ETS and love it. I don't find it harsh at all. I drove a car with the standard suspension and thought it floated too much. There's no right or wrong when it comes to suspension. It really comes down to individual tastes and which one you like more. I can tell you that the ETS on my LS is nowhere near as stiff as the sport suspension I had on my Audi A^. Now there was a stiff, jolting ride.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 07-12-05, 03:57 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stanatl
I agree with bigDLexus regarding the UL value for the money. Most of the extra goodies (compared to the ML and CL) are in the rear seats, rear sound system, etc. It does have the adjustable air suspension system, but a write-up I read on it recommends the ETS if you want a sporty ride.

I happen to have a different opinion regarding the ETS vs. the standard suspension. I have an '04 with the ML and ETS and love it. I don't find it harsh at all. I drove a car with the standard suspension and thought it floated too much. There's no right or wrong when it comes to suspension. It really comes down to individual tastes and which one you like more. I can tell you that the ETS on my LS is nowhere near as stiff as the sport suspension I had on my Audi A^. Now there was a stiff, jolting ride.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
I also have the ETS on my wife's '04 and likewise do not find it harsh. I also found the regular suspension to be floaty as well. Keep in mind I have and have owned Mercedes for many years which are much more firm than the Lexus. The Lexus with ETS still is softer riding than the MB's
Old 07-12-05, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

not sure about suspension, i tried both and i think they are both very smooth. but then i only get aftermarket coilovers myself

and for the ultra luxury, i think it really depends on whether you will use the rear seats a lot. it's really more about the gadges, some of them might not be that useful at all, so...
Old 07-16-05, 06:19 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks all, for the input. I don't THINK I'd regret the Sport suspension either. The thing I despise most in a car is wallowy, 70's Cadillac-like handling, so staying far away from that is a good thing (not saying the standard LS is like that, but just saying it's closer than the Sport). Plus, I'm used to European sedans and various sports/GT cars, so a bit of dampning in the suspension is fine with me.
Old 07-16-05, 09:54 AM
Russ G
Driver

My only comment on the suspension is that on my next LS, I will check out a firmer suspension since I like a flatter cornering car. I love my LS, however this is my only area where I might make a change.

I have 4 kids who currently fight over the heated rear seat controls in the center console. I can't imagine the potential fights over radio controls, cooling, tilt, etc. And anyway, I bought the car for me!
Old 07-16-05, 08:06 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

It is certainly every individuals decision, but PLEASE drive it first before jumping into the ETS thinking you have driven Euro cars and liked them. This is NOT the same.

I have owned NSX, 911, boxster, and vette. They all had stiff, unforgiving suspensions that felt great and were worth it for the overall ride/experience. They rode flat and were very predictable.

I still have a stock 99 LS with 16' wheels. That is a comfortable ride, but does feel wallowy sometimes.

I got the 2005 LS with 18's and it CANNOT be placed anywhere in the same paragraph or conversation with the marshmellows of cadillac and lincoln. It is almost an insult to Lexus (not me, I don't care) to imply that they might even think of making cars that pathetic.

I took possession of the LS with ETS because I thought to myself "I've driven lots of sports cars and enjoyed the stiff/flat ride, I will like the ETS because it will not be the 'Old Man' Lexus that everybody else has". Wrong. I returned it and got the non-ETS. The non-ETS does NOT float and with the 18's rides plenty flat and marshmellows do not even enter your mind.

In order to really get the LS dialed in to drive like a sports car- you would have to get different wheels and lower it as much as possible.

Please though- if anyone has an ETS and enjoys it- I have nothing against you and please don't get personal. I am just making a point to a person that may not be familiar with the LS430.

Last edited by bigDlexus; 07-16-05 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-17-05, 07:14 AM
aerodragon
Pole Position

A bit off topic. Is it correct that Euro-Tuned Suspension is not available anymore for 2005 model. I've checked with several dealerships at 2 different states.

However 18" wheel is pretty much on most of 05 LS available on the lot.

I am also deciding to get 17" wheel or 18" wheel on 05 LS.
Old 07-17-05, 08:25 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

I think they made all the ETS models early and when they are gone, they're gone.

I can't imagine why anyone would want the 17's. The 18's look and feel GREAT.

You cannot get the 17's with the ETS.
Old 07-19-05, 04:38 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the UL and I never regret!
Old 07-21-05, 05:07 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

I've got a 2003 LS and opted for the regular suspension. Bad decision. I had MANY major suspension problems (squeaking, squaeling, bumpiness), all of which the dealer tried to fix and couldn't. Dealer finally admitted these problems are quite common with regular LS suspension.

If I wanted this much bumpiness in a ride, i would have gone with the sport suspension.

Next time I think I will go with the air suspension for sure. At least then if you want a stiffer ride, you can flip the "switch".

drink300
Old 07-21-05, 08:19 PM
bigDlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by drink300
I've got a 2003 LS and opted for the regular suspension. Bad decision. I had MANY major suspension problems (squeaking, squaeling, bumpiness), all of which the dealer tried to fix and couldn't. Dealer finally admitted these problems are quite common with regular LS suspension.

If I wanted this much bumpiness in a ride, i would have gone with the sport suspension.

Next time I think I will go with the air suspension for sure. At least then if you want a stiffer ride, you can flip the "switch".

drink300
If you have squeaking and squealing and take it to the dealer three times for the same problem and they can't fix it, you can get the car lemon lawed. Why didn't you?

It was too bumpy and you want it even bumpier? Sorry, that logic doesn't make much sense. The sport suspension is quite likely to casue more rattles and squeaks inside the car over time becasue it is VERY stiff. I do not know it would cause this, I am only assuming.
Old 07-21-05, 08:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

isn't that the sport suspension also just springs and shocks? i thought just firmer settings.

and i am surprised that it has so much noise, when all the other lexus models are using the same way of setup (s/s) and they are ok. but of course, i am pretty sure with air suspension it will be quieter

sorry to hear about your problems though
Old 07-22-05, 01:57 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by bigDlexus
If you have squeaking and squealing and take it to the dealer three times for the same problem and they can't fix it, you can get the car lemon lawed. Why didn't you?

It was too bumpy and you want it even bumpier? Sorry, that logic doesn't make much sense. The sport suspension is quite likely to casue more rattles and squeaks inside the car over time becasue it is VERY stiff. I do not know it would cause this, I am only assuming.
I was referring to the mutiple posts about ETS. Meaning, if ANYONE wanted to make it stiffer, they could. Best of both worlds.

Unfortunately, my major problems started in year two. In new mexico, the lemon laws say that the issues must begin in year 1.

I love Lexus. I adore Lexus...but I have to wonder. This LS430 has had so many issues, I don't even know where to start! Center vents replaced 3 times for annoying noises. Suspension problems galore. Brakes squeal in reverse (but not in drive??). Speakers get very "scratchy" every once in a while (almost like a surge to only the left-front). If I turn the car off and back on, the problem goes away. Overall my car was out of service for 1 month while they dealt with these issues. Jeesh. There's $947 in lease payments that I'll never get back!

And these are just a few of the issues. If my LS430 is this bad, I can only imagine what owning a BMW 7-series or MB S-Class must be like!!

drink300

Quick Reply: Looking for experience-based advice on LS430 options