Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
Hidden safety feature:

Incline parking safety feature

If your LS 430 is parked on a slope, and the front wheels are not angled properly (such as in the direction of the slope), your LS 430 ignition WILL NOT WORK. The car automatically locks up the ignition, and the car will not start until you have reoriented the front wheels. This can occur on a slight incline of around 15 degrees, and all the way likely to 40. 45 degrees...

To resolve the ignition lockup (and indeed, no amount of twisting or key-insertion will turn the ignition on), one must have one's foot on the brake, rotate the front wheels from side to side, until a safe wheel angle is achieved. Then, turn the ignition slowly; if it is still stuck, redo the wheels. Once the car has detected a safe wheel position, the car ignition will work normally and you can drive off--safely.
umm that's interesting, so without the car running you can turn the steering wheel? interesting coz' on my other lexus without the car running you can't turn the steering wheel at all, and you will just lock up the steering wheel instead
Old 08-25-05, 02:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think you have to hold down the parking brake...and I imagine the SC has this 'lockup' feature as well? And perhaps it only releases the steering wheel when the 'Incline safety feature' activates...

And courtesy jbee

NAVI Memory Point Chimes

Assign an icon to your memory point, which will take you to the icon selection menu---there you can select 'special icons' which emit chimes when you approach your destination.
Old 08-25-05, 03:01 PM
Marshallp7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navi voice commands!

I have found that if you say "I'm Hungry" th enavi will show you the restaurant icons. Even though this command in not found in the help command list. I WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER COMMANDS THAT THE CAR WILL RECOGNIZE???
Old 08-25-05, 03:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marshallp7
I have found that if you say "I'm Hungry" th enavi will show you the restaurant icons. Even though this command in not found in the help command list. I WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER COMMANDS THAT THE CAR WILL RECOGNIZE???
This list (for the Prius, but same for Lexus), includes the 'I'm hungry" command:

http://www.vfaq.net/docs/Prius_NAV_Voice_commands.html
Old 09-09-05, 11:02 AM
aviators99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just coincidence, but for my '01, "Get Lost" will show airport icons.

Also, to reset the "replace airconditioning filter", make sure doors are closed, and LED display is clear, then hold down the "Off" button.
Old 04-01-08, 08:09 PM
lexusthai
Driver

Anyone know how to silent the "Lexus Link System Error" message?
Old 04-01-08, 09:31 PM
Laclu007
Driver School Candidate

Default Lights

When you park and get out of the car, the headlights stay on when you lock the door with the keyfob. No, that's not the hidden feature.

But this is:

Open your door up to leave the car. As you get out of the car, manually lock the doors using the door lock switch on the door, then close the door. Now, if you press the door lock on the keyfob, the lights go out. Found that by accident, but use it when I park in an underground parking lot, where there is no need for the lights to stay on.

2001 LS430 U/L
Old 04-02-08, 01:47 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Laclu007
When you park and get out of the car, the headlights stay on when you lock the door with the keyfob. No, that's not the hidden feature.

But this is:

Open your door up to leave the car. As you get out of the car, manually lock the doors using the door lock switch on the door, then close the door. Now, if you press the door lock on the keyfob, the lights go out. Found that by accident, but use it when I park in an underground parking lot, where there is no need for the lights to stay on.

2001 LS430 U/L
Actually the lights will turn off if you press Lock on the key twice. Locking it manually (via the button on the door panel) and then once again on the key makes the car think it's locked twice. At either rate, the second lock has to be initiated on the key.
Old 04-04-08, 07:40 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Maybe we could merge this one too! It would be super awesome too if we could edit the first post and stick each individually confirmed "trick & tip" at the top so people don't have to sort through fifty pages of posts!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=hidden+drawer

Last edited by bigcory; 04-04-08 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-04-08, 07:49 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Took the initative on this one....

1.) Ask a dealer to print out a list of the variables that can be set to your preference by them.

2.) There is a sliding drawer under the driver/passenger seat.

3.) “Hidden” trunk release button near the rear license plate.

4.)There's a rotary **** underneath driver's side dash that adjust the loudness of the beep when you lock and unlock your car

5.)You can adjust the maximum setting of steering wheel adjustment. With the steering wheel in all the way up (down; retracted; extended) click the **** 8 times in the same direction, it will extend the steering wheel even further. It does save setting and is helpful to large/small drivers.

6.)Lexus dealer can control the amount of doors that open with regard to the smart key.

7.)You can get the windows/sunroof to open while holding the unlock button on your remote. Leave the ignition off and sit inside. With the master remote in your hand hold down the lock and trunk buttons at the same time. On the display it will cycle through three setup options. One of those options is to open all of the doors.

8.)Head lights will turn off if you press Lock on the key twice

9.)Command List for voice navigation
http://www.vfaq.net/docs/Prius_NAV_Voice_commands.html

10.)When you put the L/R mirror on and you put your car on reverse, the mirrors turn downwards allowing you to see the floor behind.

11.)If you hold the unlock button on the remote down for more than 2seconds all the windows roll down.

12.)SMOG Filter: hold down the 'recirculate air' button a few seconds (its the button with three settings (outside/AUTO/inside) on the left of the NAVI screen), and the Smog filter settings will come up; you can adjust how sensitive your LS should be to smog. (Note: car must be stopped for this function to work).

13.)NAVI screen color: go to Options>Information>Screen Setting and there's a choice of colors. (04+)

14.)Smartkey: If you leave the key inside the car and try to lock the vehicle using the door buttons it can detect the key is inside the car and warns you with a long beep ...how does it know whether the key is just inside the door or just outside in your pocket? Beats me.

15.)Smartkey (2): You can assign seat setting presets to each individual key (husband and wife for example) by pairing a key with a seat position preset button (1, 2 or 3). From then on whenever that key unlocks the car the seat will automatically adjust to the right position without having to press the seat memory button.

16.)Bluetooth Phone: You can get around the "can't dial when the car is moving" problem by simply dialing the number from the phone in your pocket - it will still come through hands-free once the connection is made.

17.)Bluetooth Phone (2): If you have a PDA that uses your bluetooth phone to sync it won't work while the phone is connected to the car. To get around this temporarily you can tell the car to try to connect to a different phone that you have previously paired (just borrow one for this purpose). As it attempts to pair with the other phone (the other phone doesn't have to be present for this to happen) it will release the current phone and therefore allow you to sync your PDA. Just reverse the process to pair the phone with the car again afterwards.

18.)Bluetooth Phone (3): If you switch off the car during a handsfree conversation the phone will offer you option of transferring the call back to your phone to continue it (works on Sony Ericsson T610 at least).

19.)Door Storage Pockets: You can actually pull these and they will swing outwards 45 degrees to more easily get to items.

20.)Incline parking safety feature
If your LS 430 is parked on a slope, and the front wheels are not angled properly (such as in the direction of the slope), your LS 430 ignition WILL NOT WORK. The car automatically locks up the ignition, and the car will not start until you have reoriented the front wheels. This can occur on a slight incline of around 15 degrees, and all the way likely to 40. 45 degrees...To resolve the ignition lockup (and indeed, no amount of twisting or key-insertion will turn the ignition on), one must have one's foot on the brake, rotate the front wheels from side to side, until a safe wheel angle is achieved. Then, turn the ignition slowly; if it is still stuck, redo the wheels. Once the car has detected a safe wheel position, the car ignition will work normally and you can drive off--safely.

21.)NAVI Memory Point Chimes
Assign an icon to your memory point, which will take you to the icon selection menu---there you can select 'special icons' which emit chimes when you approach your destination.

Last edited by bigcory; 04-04-08 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-05-08, 04:30 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone have picture of this hidden trunk release next to the license plate? You are referring to the tab we press to open the trunk if we have SmartKey?
Old 04-06-08, 06:51 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Anyone have picture of this hidden trunk release next to the license plate? You are referring to the tab we press to open the trunk if we have SmartKey?
there is a provision to insert your key to open the trunk....
Old 04-06-08, 09:36 PM
denroll
Driver

Awesome thread. I love discovering things like this after owning the car for so long. I just went and opened the windows and moonroof with the car in the garage because I could! And that steering wheel trick is great. I never moved my seat all the way back because of the reach to the wheel. Now I can and my long legs will thank me... and you all (I'm 6'4", every bit of legroom helps).

One question about the trunk: is it supposed to "pop" or spring open when I use either the remote or cabin trunk open button? Mine doesn't and it takes a surprising bit of initial effort to open it.

And some tips:

-on Ultra models, doors will pull closed automatically if not manually closed all the way (I hate it when people slam my doors). Now, when I get in my other car, I never close the door all the way becasue I'm used to the auto closing mechanism.

-It's in one of the manuals, but to adjust the following distance on the radar cruise control, use the "display 2" button on the wheel. To disable the radar and use regular cruise, push the cruise control stick either towards or away from you for a few seconds. (Took me a while to figure them out)

Anyone know how to disable the rear audio controls? Every rear seat passenger I get has to be a comedian and mess with my radio.
Old 04-06-08, 10:21 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

i'm sure some others can chime in about the trunk, but I would bet your in need of the struts to be replaced. Seems to be a common issue.
Old 04-07-08, 08:07 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by denroll
Awesome thread. I love discovering things like this after owning the car for so long. I just went and opened the windows and moonroof with the car in the garage because I could! And that steering wheel trick is great. I never moved my seat all the way back because of the reach to the wheel. Now I can and my long legs will thank me... and you all (I'm 6'4", every bit of legroom helps).

One question about the trunk: is it supposed to "pop" or spring open when I use either the remote or cabin trunk open button? Mine doesn't and it takes a surprising bit of initial effort to open it.

And some tips:

-on Ultra models, doors will pull closed automatically if not manually closed all the way (I hate it when people slam my doors). Now, when I get in my other car, I never close the door all the way becasue I'm used to the auto closing mechanism.

-It's in one of the manuals, but to adjust the following distance on the radar cruise control, use the "display 2" button on the wheel. To disable the radar and use regular cruise, push the cruise control stick either towards or away from you for a few seconds. (Took me a while to figure them out)

Anyone know how to disable the rear audio controls? Every rear seat passenger I get has to be a comedian and mess with my radio.
hey man...the mode button locks the rear controls.....the button is located on the rear cluster!!

Quick Reply: LS430 Tips & Tricks (merged threads)